ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
visualizerent OP
Raconteur

Oddometer: 190
Day 3 Elko to Jarbidge

The road from Elko to Jarbidge is a fun adventure in itself. 104 miles total, 60+ miles of easy dirt with lotsa washboard this time of year. Trailering the bike, the washboard shook the straps off so I just unloaded the bike and rode while Jeni drove.

Had a nice conversation with a 3rd generation Basque rancher F. Goicoechea at his place about the road. The county (Elko) grades the road once a year in the summer. By Oct. the hunting traffic has it all washboarded out, ruins his trucks driving on it. It's illegal for him to grade it himself.

I asked, "With the price of gas, the vast distances involved here, and the road condition...how can ranching be profitable?"
"It's not!" was his short reply.

The Basque come from North end of Spain in the Pyrenees mountains near France's border and are tough mountain people. They also have their own unique language unlike Spanish or French. Jeni explains all this to me as we travel as she grew up in Spain herself, and can easily pronounce the names of all the Basque named ranches we pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auldublinr View Post
Thanks for posting.only recently I figured out all this great adventure up that way!!!! Just bought Nevada gazetteer so now I got the gimp on me to get up there. Next spring sounds good right?
Keep up the good work and nice bike .
Yea, June's a great month to visit Nevada, but for this one particular route to Jarbidge, you need to wait till after July 4th. 20' snow drifts near the passes generally block this route until plowed around the 4th. Call the Outdoor Inn at Jarbidge for an update at (775) 488-2311.
For year around access, you can always get to Jarbidge from the North via Rodgerson Idaho, Murphy Hot Springs route (only 20 miles of dirt).

ADOBE RANCH

Take 225 North (paved) over Adobe summit towards Wild Horse reservoir for 55 miles to 746 (rt-dirt) then 19 miles to Charleston Res.

DINNER STATION (225)

RANCHO GRANDE Independence Mtns behind.

P. ELIA RANCH

From Charleston Res proceed 30 miles North on 748 (easy dirt) to Jarbidge and enjoy the sights!

B. PRUNTY RANCH

"BLOW UP YER T.V.
THROW AWAY YER PAPER
MOVE TO THE COUNTRY
BUILD YOU A HOME..." J. PRINE- SPANISH PIPEDREAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwq0YoOy4g

And that's just what we did with the kids on this vacation, no electronics at all. Just talk, sing, or read to while away the hours-fantastic!

"ALL MY PROFITS WENT BACK INTO RANCH IMPROVEMENTS..."

LOG JOINERY

Pretty soon, as you head up the grade the Fall Color Show begins with earnest...

Until it just takes your breath away!

COPPER BASIN, NEAR COON CREEK SUMMIT 8442'

NEAR BEAR CREEK SUMMIT-8488'

Then drop 2000' down into the Jarbidge Canyon the last 6 miles into Jarbidge.

...And tell Nancy (Nana) all about your adventure at the Outdoor Inn!

visualizerent screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 06:05 PM
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
my kind of adventure

awesome pics and riding. i'll remember this one, possibly next year can check the place out.

nice 350, i know....

i saw one just like it at gold point nv last weekend.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
Archery21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
You timed this right, Viz. Great fall colors. A few questions. Are all the roads good enough for an overloaded Klr 650? How much are the rooms in Jarbidge? And finally what rear tire are you running and why that over a full knobby?
Thanks, Dwight
Archery21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
visualizerent OP
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery21 View Post
You timed this right, Viz. Great fall colors. A few questions. Are all the roads good enough for an overloaded Klr 650? How much are the rooms in Jarbidge? And finally what rear tire are you running and why that over a full knobby?
Thanks, Dwight
Good questions Dwight,...The road I described into and out of Jarbidge is perfect for an overloaded KLR! HOWEVER, I would NOT advise adventuring off the beaten path on an overloaded KLR 650(I own one too), the plentiful jeep trails in the area quickly turn steep, loose, and very rocky. Jarbidge is located down a steep canyon @ 6000' surrounded by 10,000' mountains less than 2 miles away.

"JUST STAY ON THE BLUE LINE AND YOU'LL BE FINE..."
I'll show more of these conditions beyond the blue line in the next installment.

The Outdoor Inn administers all the rooms, meals, and drinking (775) 488-2311
The 'Hotel' with bathrooms in each room is $65/ night and is located right next to the Outdoor Inn
The 'Barn' located 1/4 mile south (where we stayed) is $35/ night with bathrooms down the hall. We had the Barn all to ourselves and it was great, it could get noisy with multiple guests.

THE BARN HOTEL, JARBIDGE NV
Both places are warm, clean and well worth the price as they are the only game within 110 miles.

Loads of camping around town when it's warmer. I froze a 5 gal. jug of water solid one night. Nice during the day.

The rear meat is a Pirelli MT43 'trials' tire and a popular choice for adventure riding. They don't tear up the trails like a knobbie (required on some designated singletracks), ride and wear well on asphalt, and perform great in rocky conditions when deflated to 9-12 psi.

Juan
Nevada City
KTM 350 EXC-F
KTM 200
KLR 650
R1150RT

visualizerent screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 10:38 AM
Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Archery21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks Juan. Great RR! Beautiful pics.
Archery21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
visualizerent OP
Raconteur

Days 4-6 Exploring Around Jarbidge

Ahhh...the Jarbidge life...
Just before dawn, I'd slip outside of The Red Barn and make a pot of joe on the camp stove on the back of the trailer. Come back in when the family was stirring and serve coffee and 'breakfast' in bed. We'd hang around inside till the sun was up (takes awhile down in the canyon) and warmer. No TV or any electronic distractions, just everyone together.

Then pile in the Toyo for 'driving lessons' and let Pete (2) and Julianne(4) take turns driving on dad's lap up to the Outdoor in for a real homemade hot Breakfast. Mmmmm.

Then hang around town, play with the 'slow children' till about 10-11...

then take off for the day exploring on the KTM to return by "Beer:30" (5pm Mountain time) at the Trading Post.

DEER MTN. RIDGE ROAD JUST WEST OF JARBIDGE

STRAIGHT UP INTO THE MOUNTAINS EAST OF JARBIDGE

THE MATTERHORN
400 million years ago, the "Jarbidge Event"- a huge climate altering volcanic eruption occurred here, killing Bison as far as Nebraska,
and leaving behind the mountains of the Jarbidge wilderness.

SAME SPOT, LOOKING NORTH-OWYHEE DESERT
The flat, high plain to the North that stretches nearly to Boise is hundreds of feet of ash, debris, and lava flow from the "Jarbidge Event".
This allows the rivers (like the Owhee and Bruneau) to cut the dramatic vertical canyons into the plain as they head North to the Snake river
and eventually the Pacific via the Columbia.

THROUGH GROVES OF ASPEN
Lots of jeep trails all around Jarbidge that lead to the edge of the Wilderness Boundry. Given the extreme topography, there are many steep,
loose, rocky sections. Quite a few steep, rocky creek (pronounced 'crik') crossings as well.

MORE COLORS
It's nice to be back in the conifer forest after the miles and miles of desert
surrounding the Jarbidge Wilderness.

PINE CREEK WILDERNESS BOUNDARY TRAIL HEAD
6+ mile hike to Emerald lake from here.
Here on the Pine Creek Rd on July 4th 2000 the Jarbidge Shovel Brigade made there stand with the USDA Forest Service,
reopening this road after the Forest Service closed it for questionable reasons.

Here's a video with an interview (starts around 2:30) of very well spoken Rancher and Organizer of the Shovel Brigade, Demar Dahl
explaining that which is of great importance to all who enjoy the outdoors.

This spirit is very much a part of Jarbidge today.

BEAVER DAM-COPPER CREEK
Just Southwest of Jarbidge near Bear Creek Summit.

CLOSER LOOK AT THE STRUCTURE

GLACIER LAKE-COPPER BASIN
This is the one you see below the 748 road driving into Jarbidge from the South.

SHEEP HERDERS CABIN

It's Beer:30 time...

visualizerent screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 11:49 PM
Old 10-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #22
visualizerent OP
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
awesome pics and riding. i'll remember this one, possibly next year can check the place out.

nice 350, i know....

i saw one just like it at gold point nv last weekend.
Thanks for turning me on to your DV/Gold Point thread!
I'm organizing a street ride to overnight in Gold Point Nov 2 and do Death Valley.
First time to Gold Point- Herb gave us the green light.
I stole some great pics from your report to share with the street group.

LIKE THIS!

YEE HAW!

JB
Old 10-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #23
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
Wow!

Fantastic place. Nevada sure offers a huge variety of scenery. Northern Nevada is now on my list!

Thanks for sharing your ride.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #24
visualizerent OP
Raconteur

Mines of Jarbidge

Jarbidge was late to the Gold Rush, mining did not get going 'till after the turn of the century. But as other areas played out the Jarbidge area grew to over 100 mines,
most were poor performers, but a few big corporate mills like the 'Bluster' did well. A total about $10 million in gold was produced from the entire district (1930's prices).

MISSION CROSS MILL (Copper Basin)

BACKYARD AUDIT DOWNTOWN JARBIDGE "They had dreams too"
By the turn of the century the successful mines were the big companies, wages were poor. We met the elderly grandaughter of this property,
site of the original Jarbidge Hotel for the miners. Her Grandpa worked all day in the mines then came home and started digging in his backyard,

"They had dreams too" she said. After he died (black lung) His wife opened the Hotel. The property is still in the family.

BLUSTER MILL?
Take the road above the Pine creek campground for a great mine tour, lotsa old mines along this route, all within 1/4-1/2 mile of each other.

Since they're only 100 years old, and rather remote, there is still lots to see.
Mines along route-The Pavlak, Success, Bluster, and Rex.

There's also a trailhead up here to the top of Jarbidge Peak and the rest of the peaks.

JARBIDGE PEAK
Great scenery along the way to the mines.

LOOKING BACK DOWN JARBIDGE CANYON/PINE CREEK CAMPGROUND

BLUSTER MINE
You can walk in a few feet, then it's blocked by a steel grate that you can see through.

HEADFRAME BLUSTER MINE
Runs Ore and materiels from the audit (above) down to Mill below.

THE REX MINE-END OF THE ROAD 8200'

I have more of the mines on video I'll post soon. There's a neat old log cabin here too.

Here's a video version of the Jarbidge Gold Mines Tour.

visualizerent screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 08:09 AM
Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #25
visualizerent OP
Raconteur

Here's a quick narrated ride by through downtown Jarbidge from South to North on the KTM 350.
Complete with live, Jarbidge entertainment at the end! Oct 2013.

JB
Nevada City, CA.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Hey visualizerent

Was just North of Lovelock last month and base camped out of Rye Patch Reservoir. An unexpected cold front moved in and snow in the local mtns. The riding was fun and clouds were awesome. Nevada has some fantastic riding, thanks for your great report.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 383
Great RR Juan

I need to get back there and do some exploring w/ya on the little bike. We just kind of blasted through on the big bikes in Oct. riding over the Jarbidge mtns ad bear pass was really spectacular. Thanks for the pics and story.
Steve
Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #28
visualizerent OP
Raconteur

Coupla Vids

Here's a short video I put together showing the main road into Jarbidge from Elko,
plus some of Jeni explaining and pronouncing some of the Basque ranch history in the area.
Jeni grew up in Spain.

Here's a short video about the Jarbidge Jail, a tour of the inside (kinda dark) and some local history,
followed by a beer30 call next door at the Trading Post. Good fun teasing the kids with the perennial
hillbilly entertainer Billy Big Mouth Bass. Pete (2) just flipped over the singing fish!
Yep, you can get one of them too at the Trading Post in Jarbidge.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #29
visualizerent OP
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefrmGV View Post
I need to get back there and do some exploring w/ya on the little bike. We just kind of blasted through on the big bikes in Oct. riding over the Jarbidge mtns ad bear pass was really spectacular. Thanks for the pics and story.
Steve
Steve and I are already planning a 4-5 day Return to Jarbidge Adventure next summer (2014), as soon as possible after the snow melts (July) from the high passes. I already gotta lotta great loops to explore if anyone cares to join us on small bikes, keep in touch here or via PM.

Juan
Nevada City
Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Beautiful!

I have seen the area around Jarbidge a couple times now in mid June and it is very cool to see what it looks like in the fall. That ridge route to the west down to the river is awesome!

Thanks for sharing!!!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote