Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #151
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Found this RR this morning - great read!

Dave,
Excellent read - and great pictures.
I have been on the rim a few times, but never really saw the beauty of the Grand Canyon until this RR.
Another ride for the bucket list.
Thank you!
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #152
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,434
Every picture as good or better than the previous one!
You really catch the beauty of your surroundings for all of us to enjoy.
Thanks
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #153
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,936
The GPS tracks for this route are posted here: GCBAR Tracks - The Grand Canyon Backcountry Adventure Route

Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #154
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmendinger View Post
thank you so much for this report. I've been away from home for about 7 years now and yearn to go back. I'm on my first bike, and can't wait until I get brave enough to try something like this. fantastic photos as well. Just a superb report.

Chris.
Thanks Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
An inspiration on so many levels...
Thanks for coming along DesertSurfer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
Outstanding!
I'm glad you enjoyed another one, RedDogAlberta!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #155
y2kdsport
trail rider

Oddometer: 4
Great report! I love N. Arizona, S. Utah the times I have spent there. I am trying to get my riding cronies to plan a two week run next Fall. Your pictures could be used in Arizona Highways Mag . I have yet to pack the DSLR on the GS, but a good image does take good glass and sensor.
y2kdsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #156
bkwentz
n00b

Oddometer: 1
My wife, upon seeing these pictures, finally gave up her fight against me doing just such a trip.

Thanks.
bkwentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #157
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano619 View Post
Nice job Dave, just stunning pics!!
Thanks dano619!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMotorbiker View Post
Great report and greatly appreciated as always!
Thanks for urging me along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Outstanding report Dave! Thanks for taking us along!

Love to see the GPS tracks.
Enjoy the tracks. I can't wait to hear about your own trip.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #158
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Thanks Dave. I just had a nice coffee break going over your report

I believe I was lucky enough to be in the 'wettest storm in years' when I was north of that area last month. Had to readjust my route and plans.

Reading this report though, has made me realize that I can broaden the scope of my route big time for a future trip.
Coffee and Ride Reports = Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHjim View Post
What is HDR?

I sure know what you mean. The return trip back to Kansas City from the west is the hardest part - I usually end up slabbing it just to get it over with.
Luckily I only have to slap a few hundred miles.

What is HDR? I answered that in this thread: Motorcycles in HDR. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkgd View Post
Dave,
Excellent read - and great pictures.
I have been on the rim a few times, but never really saw the beauty of the Grand Canyon until this RR.
Another ride for the bucket list.
Thank you!
And these are not even my best photos of the Grand Canyon. Dramatic and colorful skies would have helped, but riding these roads during Monsoon season causes other potential problems. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #159
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome, swimmer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Looking forward to these GPS tracks.
They are posted! Thanks for following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Dave, great RR and photos. I have read many of your RR in the past and enjoy them all. What a great time you must have had. I am having a great time reading this report 35k feet in the air.
Sweet! Glad I could help you enjoy your flight.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #160
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Every picture as good or better than the previous one!
You really catch the beauty of your surroundings for all of us to enjoy.
Thanks
I appreciate all of your nice comments, Bob!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #161
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kdsport View Post
Great report! I love N. Arizona, S. Utah the times I have spent there. I am trying to get my riding cronies to plan a two week run next Fall. Your pictures could be used in Arizona Highways Mag . I have yet to pack the DSLR on the GS, but a good image does take good glass and sensor.
Good cameras are getting smaller. IMO, the camera gear is essential to a good trip and there's a lot of crap most of us could leave behind instead. Photography and motorcycle trips just go together. I hope you and your buddies get to tour this area. If not, who needs the buddies. Go it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwentz View Post
My wife, upon seeing these pictures, finally gave up her fight against me doing just such a trip.

Thanks.
That's great news! I'm happy to help.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #162
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer: 36
Thank you so much

I've followed your other reports and I'm always astounded by your photography. Those sunset pictures from Crazy Jug just turned it up a notch (if that's possible). I love the North Kaibab and I need to get back up there and also out onto the strip (next June or October). I don't think I've ever seen the strip as green as it was this year (as seen from just the highway around Colorado City and Apple Valley). It's amazing the roads were in a good of condition for your ride as they were with the rain almost daily for weeks.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #163
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Wrap Up

I had planned on 2 additional days. I thought I might explore some other FS roads up for lunch at Jacob Lake Inn. In the afternoon,
I planned to ride out to Cape Royal. While this isn't exactly backcountry, its one of my favorite motorcycle roads in Arizona and one
of the best places to capture the sunset. I've never seen the sunrise there, so I considered stealth camping or hanging out in the
parking lot until sunrise. There are several other points I planned to ride to on the eastern rim the following day. The last night would
have been camping at Saddle Mountain Trailhead. The last day of riding could have included Burma Road and a couple points
overlooking Marble Canyon before riding home. Although I spent 9 days riding up there, I still have plenty more to explore.

Highlights of my Trip

1. Havasupai Point - You'll have to pay the Native Americans $25 for access across their lands, but the only remote point accessible on the South Rim is worth it.

2. Lime Kiln Pass

3. Near Twin Point

4. Whitmore Canyon Overlook - Only 700 feet above the river with a hiking trail. Bar 10 Ranch is nearby.

5. Toroweap Overlook & Campground - Free camping and the best view west of the Kaibab Plateau.

6. Kanab Point - The view is almost as stunning as Toroweap and this place gets far fewer visitors.

7. Gunsight Point - A fun road takes you to a point overlooking the Kanab Creek Wilderness. A nice side trip, but not as stunning as others.

8. Sowats Point - A fun road through varied terrain to a nice western view.

9. Crazy Jugs Point - A beautiful and wide view. The point is within the national forest with no camping restrictions.

10. Point Sublime - Simply the best backcountry point! A must for any trip, if you can get there. The park service keeps it closed often.

Places That Could Be Added

A. South Rim Drive - If you've not done it before, why not go elbow to elbow with the rest of the tourists to start the trip?
There are tons of great views here and starting in the crowded areas will help you appreciate the solitude you find later.

B. Grand Canyon West - If you want to do tourist type stuff. You can ride all the way to the parking lot near the airport,
but no private vehicles are allowed at the points anymore. You will need to pay the
Hualapai Indians for shuttles to the points and the tourist trap known as the Skywalk.
Some guys have been lucky to get to ride all the way to the river at the bottom of the canyon on Diamond Creek Road.
Others have been sold passes (available at the lodge in Peach Springs) only to be denied access by the Tribal Rangers.
"No motorcycles allowed."

C. You could make better time by taking I-15 or spend more time by visiting the stunning Valley of Fire State Park.

D. Elbow Canyon Road is a rougher and higher alternative pass from Mesquite.

E. Nutter Twists Road and Hidden Canyon

F. Twin Point

G. Kelly Point (Supposedly one of the rougher trails out here with ~30 miles of boulders.)

H. There are trails between Mt Dellenbaugh RD and Whitmore Canyon, but I hear ranchers have started locking some gates.

I. SB Point aka Son-of-a-Bitch Point

J. Jumpup Point and Ranger Pass - There are a few other points out in this direction as well.

K. Swamp Point

L. Cape Royal RD - Unless you want to avoid asphalt as much as possible, there is no reason a motorcyclist can't enjoy one
of the best motorcycling roads in the state out to one of the best spots for photos of the entire canyon, Cape Royal and Angel's Window.
Stay for sunset and find camping out of the park in the dark. Try to avoid all of the deer you will see at night.

M. Saddle Mountain Trailhead - A fun road leads out to an eastern view only a short hike from Point Imperial.
There are dispersed campsites at the rim within the national forest, but at the border to the park.

N. Other east side points like Dog Point and the Burma Road aka East Side Game Trail if you want a little challenge.

O. Two points on either side of Marble Canyon. Bull Farm Point on the west and Tatahatso Point on the Navajo Reservation 23 miles off Highway 89.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #164
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsofasteddie View Post
I've followed your other reports and I'm always astounded by your photography. Those sunset pictures from Crazy Jug just turned it up a notch (if that's possible). I love the North Kaibab and I need to get back up there and also out onto the strip (next June or October). I don't think I've ever seen the strip as green as it was this year (as seen from just the highway around Colorado City and Apple Valley). It's amazing the roads were in a good of condition for your ride as they were with the rain almost daily for weeks.

Thanks,

Ed
Thanks Ed. The night at Crazy Jugs was the only time I had really good light for photos.
The super clear skies are not so great for photos, but the trade-off is not worrying and rain or mud.

Storms make it better.

Backcountry Permits

With the exception of Toroweap, backcountry camping within the national park requires a permit.
These aren't expensive, but only so many permits are issued for each large area. Even though no one else
is camping at the point you want to visit, the permits for the entire area will likely be sold out. Good luck.

One could just wait until sunset to erect anything resembling camping gear, then pack up shortly after first light.
The chances of seeing a ranger at these places is slim, especially at night.
Of course, I can neither confirm nor deny that I took any such actions.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #165
jadedillusion
Adventure Wife

Oddometer: 119
Excellent photos, as usual, Dave!

I feel ashamed that we (Bronco3738 and I) don't explore more if Arizona. But he's logged your GPS points and exclaimed that we'll be taking the Jeep out there.

Blog: Tales from the Adventure Wife

jadedillusion is offline   Reply With Quote