Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #76
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Awesome report! I just gotta make it to the ice fields parkway soon. Been on my bucket list for a few years but just have not done it. Heck , I was even in Glacier this summer but had made plans to meet someone down in Wyoming. soooo.
Thanks so much for the work and time to do this report on your adventure.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #77
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395
Thank you.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #78
jamako
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
super.........: Alkış
jamako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #79
selkins OP
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Awesome report! I just gotta make it to the ice fields parkway soon. Been on my bucket list for a few years but just have not done it. Heck , I was even in Glacier this summer but had made plans to meet someone down in Wyoming. soooo.
Thanks so much for the work and time to do this report on your adventure.
Glad you enjoyed the report, achesley. While I wouldn't really call it "adventure riding," for sheer scenic grandeur the Icefields Parkway beats anything I've ridden. Every corner turned reveals something jaw-dropping.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #80
Philander
Someday...

Oddometer: 346
Inspirational. Literally.

This summer I will be riding from Ottawa to Edmonton to hook up with my brother, then we're going to Inuvik.

Your RR has both convinced me to get a DSLR for the trip and also has me chomping at the bit! Thank you for taking the time

Phil
Philander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #81
beardog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Wow, just found this report. As so many have said, great photos. I think you convinced me to put it on my list also. Sounds like I might run into some other ADV members up there, you convinced quite a few to make the ride. Thanks!
beardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #82
selkins OP
No hay banda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardog View Post
Wow, just found this report. As so many have said, great photos. I think you convinced me to put it on my list also. Sounds like I might run into some other ADV members up there, you convinced quite a few to make the ride. Thanks!
Thanks for the kind words, beardog, and you're very welcome. If you go solo but are concerned about tackling the Dempster alone, I'd suggest going as far as Dawson and hanging out for a day or two. Chances are you'll meet some other riders heading up the road to tag along with.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #83
selkins OP
No hay banda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philander View Post
Inspirational. Literally.

This summer I will be riding from Ottawa to Edmonton to hook up with my brother, then we're going to Inuvik.

Your RR has both convinced me to get a DSLR for the trip and also has me chomping at the bit! Thank you for taking the time

Phil
Glad to hear it, Phil. If you like to take good photos, upgrading to a DSLR makes a substantial difference IMO. I used a point and shoot for many years, and for all the talk about improved technology, they just can't match up.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #84
straightenarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Photos

Your photos are fantastic, but I enjoyed your story even more! I am from a few hours east of you...Go Pack;) Any upcoming travels?
straightenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #85
selkins OP
No hay banda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightenarrow View Post
Your photos are fantastic, but I enjoyed your story even more! I am from a few hours east of you...Go Pack;) Any upcoming travels?
Thanks for the resurrect and the kind words.

No big ride this year. If I can save my pennies I'm hoping to do a hiking/riding trip to the Scottish Highlands in late spring, then maybe another ride up British Columbia way in late summer/early fall.

I'll put in a quick plug for what I think is the best, most adventurous ride report since StrikingViking "bummed the world" nine years ago. Only 20k hits so far for the ironically named "Tourist," but once folks check it out I expect this one to quickly exceed 1M. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923656

Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #86
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 547
Thumb Inspiring RR

I have ventured up and down the Liard Trail (77 north of Fort Nelson) by Moto a couple of times. So close to the Yukon and Alaska yet so far. Just a few more dirt roads? Your words and great pics have got the juices flowing. Thanks for a entertaining and illuminating RR. Thanks too for the Tourist link.

Cheers...Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #87
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Just Came Across

this RR, gotta say your Mountain Photos are some of the best I have ever viewed.....nice work.
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #88
copter105
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Amazing! Thank you for sharing!
copter105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #89
Hanzo
KLUANE

Oddometer: 408
Haay Selkins. I read your report and am scheming to somehow ride the Dempster Highway.Thanx for the Excellent report.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #90
selkins OP
No hay banda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
Haay Selkins. I read your report and am scheming to somehow ride the Dempster Highway.Thanx for the Excellent report.
Thanks for the resurrect, Hanzo.

FWIW, I just saw on Grinnin's Dempster RR that they've started work on the year-round extension up to Tuk on the Arctic coast. Did a little digging and it seems it won't be complete until 2018 though. Still, I'd say the Dempster is well worth a trip before then.