Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #781
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
A lift doesn't help you. You need a rear stand which lifts the bike up by the rear wheel supports.

I have a front stand and a center stand on the bike.
Yeah that's what thinking of doing right after i sent that last message lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetire View Post
I use a floor jack and jack up under the rear suspension linkage to change my rear tire.
That's what i was told too but it seems a little sketch to me... is ok to put it there?? There is no chance the bike slipping off?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #782
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,312
What are you guys going to do on the road if you get a flat and you have no way to remove the rear tire? Not trying to be rude but it seems if you aren't prepared to pull your rear wheel on the side of the road you should be going tubeless so the flat can just be plugged.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #783
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
What are you guys going to do on the road if you get a flat and you have no way to remove the rear tire? Not trying to be rude but it seems if you aren't prepared to pull your rear wheel on the side of the road you should be going tubeless so the flat can just be plugged.
Now you see why I got the roadie :)
Old 10-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #784
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
well i was asking this in order to be prepared for the event that happens. My next big purchase is luggage and a center stand. I am certainly not afraid to get my hands dirty, i just want to know what to expect before i get into this. I prefer tubes anyway. I just have never gotten a flat on my bike! been riding 6 years and i guess lucky enough to never have this happen!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #785
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
well i was asking this in order to be prepared for the event that happens. My next big purchase is luggage and a center stand. I am certainly not afraid to get my hands dirty, i just want to know what to expect before i get into this. I prefer tubes anyway. I just have never gotten a flat on my bike! been riding 6 years and i guess lucky enough to never have this happen!
You must not ride where I ride :).

(What are your favorite roads in the Bay Area?)
Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #786
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You must not ride where I ride :).

(What are your favorite roads in the Bay Area?)
haha i have done very little off road but a good amount of on road. i want to go off road am easing into it.

as for bay area, i like calaveras, polameras, mines, 84 through the mountains, highway 1, 35, 89, 49, 130, n 9. where do you go to get so many flats??
Old 10-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #787
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
haha i have done very little off road but a good amount of on road. i want to go off road am easing into it.

as for bay area, i like calaveras, polameras, mines, 84 through the mountains, highway 1, 35, 89, 49, 130, n 9. where do you go to get so many flats??
Want to try riding my DRZ and CRF230 off-road at Hollister? I will be there this weekend.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #788
onetire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
I sealed my spokes 15k miles ago and carry plug kit as well.
onetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #789
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Want to try riding my DRZ and CRF230 off-road at Hollister? I will be there this weekend.
at this point i don't know if you are being sarcastic or serious... if you are serious, thank you very much for the offer but i am swamped this weekend, next time you go do let me know though! I really want to learn to ride completely standing up and handle dirt.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #790
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
at this point i don't know if you are being sarcastic or serious... if you are serious, thank you very much for the offer but i am swamped this weekend, next time you go do let me know though! I really want to learn to ride completely standing up and handle dirt.
Serious. Ok, will let you know next time.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #791
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Serious. Ok, will let you know next time.
Oh haha for sure. I will PM you in my info in case something changes.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #792
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Oh yeah ok. Any idea how to jack the bike up without a center stand? I have a lift but no center stand.
http://www.endurostar.com

Works wonders and only weighs a few ounces.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #793
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
http://www.endurostar.com

Works wonders and only weighs a few ounces.
+1

It fits under your seat if you want it to, and the rear axle wrench is standard in the Triumph Tool Kit. If you're off road, and have a little tool kit, with that, you're all set. Just wedge a rock under the front tire so it doesn't spin around.

It works so well, I use it in the garage.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #794
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
I just have never gotten a flat on my bike! been riding 6 years and i guess lucky enough to never have this happen!

You are. In almost 40 years of riding I've never had a flat in the field, dirt or street. Oh wait, one time on the hiway with a tubeless, just plugged it.

That said I carry irons, tools, have a center and a endurostand, 12v pump, tube, and patches. For just in case.
And I change all my own tires so there's no fear. I have latex gloves and a mini WD too.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #795
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You are. In almost 40 years of riding I've never had a flat in the field, dirt or street. Oh wait, one time on the hiway with a tubeless, just plugged it.

That said I carry irons, tools, have a center and a endurostand, 12v pump, tube, and patches. For just in case.
And I change all my own tires so there's no fear. I have latex gloves and a mini WD too.
woohoo! i thought i was just the odd man out here by never getting a flat!

I was thinking of doing that as well just in case... have you tried the CO2 cartridges instead..? How is changing the rear tire... i was thinking of changing the flat myself but i was offered a change for $20 and since i really don't want to be without a bike for three till i have time to change it, i am just going to go with that. thinking of just practicing one weekend so i know how to do it...