Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #211
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy J View Post
Queen Ann is the neighborhood you went through to take that first pic looking West over Puget Sound. In the fore ground is terminal 90 and 91 with Elliott Bay Marina just NW of there. Where was that motel at?. Looks like a really sketchy area.
Not sure where the motel was at. But the dude at the counter was a bike enthusiast and let me park in their long term underground parking. Rained that night, so it was much appreciated.

Back in Portland I cruised around a lot, but surprisingly just didn't find that many photo ops. What I lacked in quantity made up for quality, I think.

This park was creepy, Blair Witch Project kind of creepy. I was snapping photos at various angles and such, then noticed two concerned parents who took an interest in me. Then I noticed the source of their concern--their daughter. I wasn't driving a white van, didn't have a bag of candy, wasn't carrying a box of puppies and definitely am not sporting a molester mustache. I was, however, moving around under the cover of trees trying to get a good photo of the end-of-the-world swingset and, well, whatever.

One of the advantages of a DSLR is that ya look like a professional even if you aren't. When you bust out your point and shoot you just look like a goofball playing NatGeo. Pics speak for themselves, though.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #212
ducpiss
n00b

Oddometer: 4
As usual , fantastic photos and wordage. What sort of filter or setting did you take this picture wth? Way cool!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #213
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Yeah aint that the truth,
LOL, great video. Thanks for posting. It brings back many memories of the way things used to be. I always liked the looks of that Sportster.

And, humm, I'm thinking the advice in post #73 "It's scenes like this that remind me of what I / we miss out on when we stick with familiarity. I encourage everyone reading this to do one thing before the year is over: take a vacation day or a sick day. Pick a point on a map that's 4 hours away. And instead of going to work, drive to the point you picked, then turn around and drive back on a different route so you'll be home at roughly the same time you'd be home by had you actually gone to work. It's a day you'll never forget and you'll accomplish something you'll remember for the rest of your life. Hopefully you'll also be reminded of what you can see and accomplish in just one day...." is a really good plan!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 07:43 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #214
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

C'mon guys! I didn't think it would take that much prodding for someone to take me up on taking the day off to play dare. There's a free AntiHero decal (Red or Black Reflective) in it for the first guy (or girl) to do it and post a link to at least a few pics!!! Recording the call-in-sick audio or sending a screenshot of the "Can't come into work today--got stung by a bee." email get an extra bonus point.

Ok, so I had a list of restaurants I wanted to hit up in Portland. One was Lardo. As you can guess from the name, Lardo is neither high on the list of restaurants hosting Vegan PETA parties. I mean, hell, any restaurant that cooks their fries in rendered fatback (bacon fat, basically), automatically earns a spot on my food-eating-binge-across-America, yes?

Yet, no fries did I order. Why you say? Chicarones trump even fatback fries.

Most people who know me know I do not like cheese. And yes, under that delicious porkstrami, that does happen to be cheese on that burger, even though I asked for it sans. Shit happens. Rumor has it that, since Lardo opened its doors, heart attacks among the 21-35 year old age group has nearly tripled. No fear, the menu does also include some 'healthier' options:

Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #215
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

After I finished destroying 20 napkins trying to get the grease off my fingers, I cruised outside and spotted a couple dudes (followed by a couple more) checking out the Panigale. Though there are a lot of Ducatis in Portland, the only other 1199s I saw were at MotoCorsa. Stopped to chat, started talking bikes and two of the guys, it turns out, are fellow inmates (one of which had actually read part of my first R/R). What's up, Ed Zachtamundo and Ulyses? Ed had been hit by a car in Central or So America and was still recovering. Injury-not cool. Meeting a couple fellow ADVers on the streets of Portland - very cool.

While we stood there shootin' the proverbial shit, rain started coming down pretty hard, so it was off I went. I had memorized the directions back to my house, but after riding for longer than expected, realized something was wrong. Pulled in under cover and yep....my memory was right, but my compass was off and I'd gone this way instead of that way at one turn, but it all worked out. Without that mistake I never would have got this pic.

Nor would I have snapped this one, which (in the lower left portion of the photo) kind of looked like celestial nebulae mixing into a protean cocktail:

Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #216
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Don't really recall what happened next because I was pent up in holes for about a week and it all blended together. Rain rain rain rain. I had intended to stay in Portland for a couple additional weeks, but I had no idea it would rain for half those.

But it did eventually stop and I wandered around a lot on the Duc. Never really got into the swing of Portland, though. Maybe it was the stormy weather, maybe it was something I ate or the place(s) I stayed, or maybe it's just some dull depressive front on the inside. I should have been far more excited than I was. Instead I felt sort of like I was in a prison waiting to be released. This picture captures it perfectly and explains a lot of why I felt so caged.

This made me happy, though:

Peanut Butter, Black Cherry Jam, Roasted Jalapenos, Applewood Bacon. 'Kick me in the peanuts' delicious:

Old 10-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #217
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
But it did eventually stop and I wandered around a lot on the Duc. Never really got into the swing of Portland, though. Maybe it was the stormy weather, maybe it was something I ate or the place(s) I stayed, or maybe it's just some dull depressive front on the inside. I should have been far more excited than I was. Instead I felt sort of like I was in a prison waiting to be released. This picture captures it perfectly and explains a lot of why I felt so caged.
I grew up in SoCal and moved to Oregon in 2001. I empathize with you because the weather out here will affect your mentation. Too bad you missed some nice riding weather; its been bone dry for the past two weeks.
Looking forward to the rest of your trip

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #218
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Ah, great pics, good eats!

Life is good, digging the ride like the last.

Ride safe, eat well.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #219
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
After I finished destroying 20 napkins trying to get the grease off my fingers, I cruised outside and spotted a couple dudes (followed by a couple more) checking out the Panigale. Though there are a lot of Ducatis in Portland, the only other 1199s I saw were at MotoCorsa. Stopped to chat, started talking bikes and two of the guys, it turns out, are fellow inmates (one of which had actually read part of my first R/R). What's up, Ed Zachtamundo and Ulyses? Ed had been hit by a car in Central or So America and was still recovering. Injury-not cool. Meeting a couple fellow ADVers on the streets of Portland - very cool.

While we stood there shootin' the proverbial shit, rain started coming down pretty hard, so it was off I went. I had memorized the directions back to my house, but after riding for longer than expected, realized something was wrong. Pulled in under cover and yep....my memory was right, but my compass was off and I'd gone this way instead of that way at one turn, but it all worked out. Without that mistake I never would have got this pic.
I didn't introduce myself but I was with my brother Ulyses and Ed. Your bike truly is a supermodel and your pictures are amazing.
alvincullumyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #220
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
I didn't introduce myself but I was with my brother Ulyses and Ed. Your bike truly is a supermodel and your pictures are amazing.
Much appreciated. Would have much preferred if I arrived about 45 min later (when you guys did). The conversation on the sidewalk cut short by rain could have been pretty epic with so many ADV inmates seated inside, surrounded by grilled swine and alcohol!

Once the weather cleared up and then I got to experience LA in Portland, only without the lane-splitting feature. I'm going to keep beating this dead horse because it's absurd. LOOK AT ALL THAT SPACE! Imagine even 5% of the people in cars and vans and trucks riding motorcycles or scooters getting at LEAST 20mpg instead of zero.

I had to check out of one place into another and had so much fun getting there. Seems the traffic planning in Portland took the ready, fire, aim approach. After hitting a parking lot on the highway I got off and took surface streets. Bad, very bad idea. I ended up lane splitting and even driving on a double yellow it was so bad. Big cities have a lot going for them and a lot against. It's the war everyone who lives in LA or Boston or NY or SF wages on an hourly basis--culture, activity, energy, opportunity vs. crime, inconvenience, traffic and frustration. Small cities typically have less of everything across the board. Unfortunately a lot of these 'small' cities I've visited have been poisoned by big city issues. As an outsider I saw some easy-to-implement changes, such as timing the fucking lights to give priority to 7000 cars traveling in one direction every day at the same time vs. the 'equal rights to lights' granted to single digit cars at intersections.

But the bump-start speeds I traveled from one part of the city to the other was worth it. Motel 6 had clearly been experimenting with the subliminal effect of various scents on customer satisfaction. Unfortunately room 117, my room, had been hosed down with the "dominatrix peed in the corner last night" aroma.

The bike was lucky to be outside.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 10:37 PM
Old 10-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #221
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,283
Continued fantasy material. Love the food, the wit and accommodation inclusion. Naturally the bike is kick ass, as is the photography. As usual.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #222
///Monster
Does it have wheels?

Oddometer: 56
That room is pretty stark.

I find it a funny contrast, the sophisticated palate you have developed and the picture of the motel 6 that you stayed at. I wouldn't want to pay much more for that hotel room than you probably paid for that peanut butter sandwich haha.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #223
martīn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:

WOW! Thatīs just insane!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #224
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
C'mon guys! I didn't think it would take that much prodding for someone to take me up on taking the day off to play dare. There's a free AntiHero decal (Red or Black Reflective) in it for the first guy (or girl) to do it and post a link to at least a few pics!!! Recording the call-in-sick audio or sending a screenshot of the "Can't come into work today--got stung by a bee." email get an extra bonus point.
I didn't call in sick, per-se, but I did take Friday off, hop on the bike for the weekend and ride for 700 miles to the north shore of lake superior and back. Had a great time in the rain, snow, and slush, sleeping in a hammock. I wish I had stopped to get a shot of the tracks in the slush, but I did get the frost on my seat:

and the rain on the everything:

and the dramatic sky over the rocks and water:

So there's that...
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #225
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Man, Antihero....just how many Panigales are you going to sell with these pics anyway ?