User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #76
Boxall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Great ride report!

Thanks for sharing this trip! This is great!
Boxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #77
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,729
nice report! when you return are you riding western TAT before Baja?

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #78
patiodadio
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 363
Good ride report, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to reading your Baja report this winter.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #79
Marc LaDue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Uf Widerseh, bis bald!

I couldn't help but smile thinking about two squeaky-clean Swiss wrestling with Oklahoma mud for a couple of hours - priceless!
I wish you two all the best upon your return; the TAT changes dramatically after New Mexico, and I suspect you'll encounter much less in the way of mud. Feel free to call me at 712)255-4461 for alternate routes through the beautiful Rocky Mountains if you should decide to get creative with your routing.
Over and out for now,
Alles Beschte,

Marc
Marc LaDue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #80
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Welcome to New Mexico, come on vacation leave on probations, at least that's what we use to say around here. Bolt everything down and don't leave your bikes outside at night no matter what. Albuquerque's Grand theft auto is about as high as it gets in the states, have had several friends who have had their bikes stolen in that armpit! When I was at Sandia BMW Motorcycle last the service manager told me some tweaker had jumped on a new S1000RR they had warming up right outside of the service bay and took off on it!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #81
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Oddometer: 207
Hi vintagespeed, the plan is to come back and do baja in winter now. We'll be back for the rest of the TAT next summer.

All the rest thanks for all your replies and comments. Its allways nice to get some feedback and know someone is reading the report.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Just to finish this up properly.

After a day of sightseeing in Boston we boarded a plane again and made it safely back to Switzerland.

And I would like to thank all the people that we met and all that helped us. Specially of course all the ADV riders we met and the ones we couldn't meet, all that offered us help or gave us advice. And a special big thank you to one that even payed for one of our tires just to give us some support. You all made our trip great and memorable.
We are really looking forward to coming back to the States in winter and going to Baja.

See you soon.
Cheers Thomas
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #82
STisma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
This was straight forward, right to the point with some Swiss precision ADV report. Nicely done!
Thanks for the ride.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #83
emacs
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great report. How did you manage the long "residence" of your motorcycles in the States? I've heard there is a limit of 10 weeks or so otherwise you have to import the bikes.
emacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #84
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Hi emacs,
you can leave your bike in the states for one year with a temporary import.
We will be leaving the states in winter and go to Mexico. So when we come back we get another year. That's the plan.
Cheers Thomas (Tschüss)
Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #85
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

To Baja in between (the bad luck tour)

Hi everyone, we´re back.
After 2 and a half months of working we are sitting in a plane on our way back to the USA. I´m trying to get through this terrible boring flight and thought I´ll write a couple of words just to help time go by.
(Just to tell you: we are back in Switzerland again and I am in hospital at the moment. Had my shoulder done yesterday. So now I have plenty of time to report about the trip but typing with one finger instead of 10 is a real pain. So be patient on me.)

The plan for this trip is to get our bikes out of storage in Albuquerque and ride down to Mexico for 3 – 4 weeks. Then go back to ABQ and leave the bikes in storage again until next summer.
We first want to go down Baja, then take a ferry to the mainland, and go up again. That´s the rough idea.
But first we have to get the KTMs running and get to the warmth of Mexico without freezing to death. The weather forecast promises under 0°C during the night so its going to be a cool ride.

Having a beer during our stop over in D.C.

Never have been on a bike trip with a suitcase before. (It will stay in storage)

Calling the hotel in ABQ for a pickup.

Thomas B. screwed with this post 01-20-2014 at 12:52 PM
Old 01-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #86
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 296
Nice report so far... We did the whole TAT last summer and loved it. It looks like they fixed the New Mexico sign up. Did not look like there were any stickers on it (or bullet holes for that matter). The best part of the TAT starts after that sign...

Hope you have fun in Baja. In for updates...
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #87
sstracke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Good to hear you are back in the US. I hope you enjoy this part of your trip!

Never make predictions - especially about the future. Casey Stengel
sstracke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #88
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

After reaching ABQ the first thing we did was to get the KTMs out of the storage and do the rest of the work on them I couldn´t finish last time.

Changing the rear sprocket on both bikes.

Then we wanted to head south the next day.
That’s when things started to somehow go wrong.
In the morning there was small oil puddle under my bike. Shi… The shock was leaking. It did stop to leak after we kept going but who wants to go to Baja with a shock that isn´t ok. So we would have to find someone who could do a quick rebuild on the way. The next thing was that both bikes had problems starting in the cold of the morning. I have had that issue already but on Sandra´s bike it was new. We finally got them running and then the next bad thing happened. We took the road to Flagstaff to spend the night there not knowing that we would be at 2110m (6910 ft). That was a big mistake. It was freezing. Most of the ride was pretty cold and the night was below 0°C. There was ice on the seats. In order to get my bike running I took it into the motel room for two hours in the morning.

When I went outside again I saw that this time there was a bigger oil puddle under Sandra´s bike. Her shock leaked too. What is going on here? Well we needed someone to do my shock so he could do Sandra´s as well.
Icy ride out of Flagstaff.

When we reached Phoenix (it was much warmer after we came down from the mountains) we stopped at a McDonalds. We needed Internet. Since it was Monday an most bike dealers and workshops were closed (are we lucky). It took some time until we were given Bob Tod´s number. I called him and told him what we needed and he said he could do it immediately but wasn´t sure if he had the right seals. He gave us directions and asked us to come to his place so he could have a look. A couple of minutes later we were standing in front of his house and he came out.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #89
=[BAD]=TEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
WELCOME BACK!
=[BAD]=TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #90
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 371
alrighhhhttttt