Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #9
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
PB gets some TLC

The motor had been getting a bit noisier and I suspected it was due for a valve adjustment so booked the bike into Bajawa Honda for a full service, check up and tune and a new back tyre. All work completed promptly including new rear brake shoes and only $35 total.

After returning to Bajawa Honda with all luggage on-board for some photos I headed north for Riung. The road winds up into the mountain spine that runs all the way down Flores and the engine now tuned and serviced was running both quieter and smoother and the new brakes and tyre were welcome additions on the downhill runs. The road is pretty beat up for much of the way so the bus and truck operators choose a longer route.

I went past groups of men carrying spears, some walking and others on motorbikes, all heading in the same direction towards Riung. Later I came across another group stopped on the side of the road with a bike leaking fuel from a split tank. They were trying to patch it with soap without any success. I remembered that I had some JB Weld two part epoxy in my kit and in a few minutes it was all repaired.

Biker in need of help photo R_JBWELDTOTHERESCUE.jpg

I stopped to buy water and a snack from a small village shop and noticed this church.

photo 8edfa54d-4f89-4453-9e82-a5e5a4995677.jpg

No matter how humble the dwellings in these tiny villages there is invariably a grand house of worship for whichever branch of the faithful holds sway.

I pushed on until I caught sight of the north coast and then stopped for a break in the shade.

Riung from mountain pass photo R_RIUNGCOAST.jpg

Biscuit break photo R_TEABREAK.jpg

Made my way down the road which was very steep now; at times it's more of a controlled fall off a cliff than a ride down a road and found the Liqueen Cafe for a late lunch of Spanish Omelette and coffee, delicious and just $2.20.

Lunch at Liqueen photo R_LIQUEENLUNCH.jpg

The owners kid was bugging the hell out of me, climbing on the table and jabbering away so I put Nemo on and set the laptop on another table.

Watching Nemo photo R_LIQUEENKID.jpg

Looked around for a place to stay and found Tamri Homestay, an absolute bargain at just $8.50 a night.

Tamri Beach Homestay Riung photo R_HOMESTAYTAMRIBEACH.jpg

Lounge photo R_TAMRIBEACHHOMESTAYLOUNGE.jpg

Bedroom at Timur Beach homestay photo R_TAMRIBEACHHOMESTAYBR.jpg

Used the rest of the day to edit photos and to catch up on the RR.