Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,231
I for one can't stand trade offers plastered all over the board!

But seriously, I'd take a V-storm now too!

Tallbastid screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 10:26 AM
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,660
We're in the middle of the great depression 2.0, nobody has cash money. I haven't been able to sell a bike for cash since 2004, I've done trades or traded in on new, even did payments for a good friend. I really think that CL has ruined the used anything market, used to have to go down to the newspaper in person and pay for an ad, now every lazy slob with a smart phone can list stuff for free.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
We're in the middle of the great depression 2.0, nobody has cash money. I haven't been able to sell a bike for cash since 2004, I've done trades or traded in on new, even did payments for a good friend. I really think that CL has ruined the used anything market, used to have to go down to the newspaper in person and pay for an ad, now every lazy slob with a smart phone can list stuff for free.
Why would Craigslist ruin the market? Seems to me that it would open it up, people that weren't willing to go spend $15 for the newspaper ad , will sit at a computer for a minute to list up some old cassette tapes for .75 cents, or a Skilsaw that doesn't work for $5.00, or an old Superbike that's been sitting in the garage for 12 years.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,417
Damn right. Craigslist is awesome.

I got one of those scythe mowers that is human powered for $15. When I realized my lawn was way too big to screw around with that thing, I put it back on for $15. Two women showed up and, without saying a word, handed me the $15, threw it in their car and left.

Also, if you are wanted to get rid of something you think is garbage, put it in the 'free' section. Your phone will ring off the hook with hoarders who will take anything !
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Why is it such a hard concept? I have traded lots of things over the years, as well as given things away. Like others have said, if both parties are happy in the end, everyone wins.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Well, sometimes you can trade a bike that is not as easy to sell for one that is much easier to sell. For example, my fried had been trying to sell his WeeStrom for months without any luck. But there was a guy that had a F650GS and wanted a Wee...

They traded bikes and he sold the F650GS the next day.

Sometimes it is just because I don't want to deal with lowballers.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
What are the odds that someone has the exact bike that I want and that I have the bike that he wants? Very slim!
Depends. If you have no timeline, and see something that catches your eye, it will probably pop up.

The next question is where will it be? You can pretty much ship a bike CONUS for $300-600 (again, if you don't need it NOW). Once you get good at buying sight-unseen, the possiblities are damn near endless.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Why would Craigslist ruin the market?

Seriously? I live in an area where over 1 million people live, I used to open the newspaper and there would be 25 or 30 bikes listed during the summer, now I go to CL and there are thousands of bikes for "sale", this has ruined the ability for most people to get cash, that's why trades are so common. A few bikes in the newspaper would give a buyer a sense of urgency...get your cash together and go snatch it up, now a buyer can look at thousands of bikes with no sense of urgency to buy before they miss it because there are thousands for sale...thousands.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #24
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
I'm with Corndog on this one. Craigslist creates an even wider market, it doesn't ruin it. As a seller you can reach many more people through a CL ad as opposed to a local classified ad in the newspaper, and likewise buyers have many more bikes to choose from. It creates a more efficient market also. More buyers and more sellers equates to more transactions, equates to more transparency and a more efficient marketplace.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #25
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
It's daunting to look in the newspaper classifieds and see 2 Sportsters and a moped when you're looking for a dual sport, sportbike, or whatever. With CL, I can search locally, and if I don't find what I want, I keep expanding my search, with LOTS of results. And when I start searching for specific models (DR, KLR), it will include results from a wider radius.

An android app I have, oddly enough named CLAPP (you can't make this crap up) makes it easy to keep adding locations to your search, so it's only a matter of how far you want to drive. So I balance asking price with convenience and location.

The part that absolutely KILLS me is when some Gixxer jockey tells you how his bike is the bomb, and has $10,000 in upgrades, blah blah blah, and then says HIT ME UP FOR PICTURES.

If you can't take time to post a picture of what you want to sell, it doesn't sound very awesome and I'm not going to take time to ask for them.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I'm with Corndog on this one. Craigslist creates an even wider market, it doesn't ruin it. As a seller you can reach many more people through a CL ad as opposed to a local classified ad in the newspaper, and likewise buyers have many more bikes to choose from. It creates a more efficient market also. More buyers and more sellers equates to more transactions, equates to more transparency and a more efficient marketplace.

The amount of buyers is the same, the sellers have gone through the roof...that's why we're trading with other already owners because they can't SELL their already owned motorcycle, just like me...I have to be willing to trade to get rid of something in my fleet.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #27
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
For me itd be more of a timeline issue. Ive been contemplating swithingfrm my f650 to maybe a vstrom. I love my bike, dont have the cash to just buy a strom, don want to finance. If i decide to switch ill probably look for a trade. Im just nt in enough of a hurry to get rid of it.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #28
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
For me itd be more of a timeline issue. Ive been contemplating swithingfrm my f650 to maybe a vstrom. I love my bike, dont have the cash to just buy a strom, don want to finance. If i decide to switch ill probably look for a trade. Im just nt in enough of a hurry to get rid of it.

That was my situation exactly; my trade was a Concours for a W650.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #29
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
I was wanting a V-strom. Put some stuff for sale, no money offers. Sunday I found one for sale, offered him my gsxr and he accepted. It's easier and quicker, plus there's no price negotiations. I hate negotiating price, it's a pain in the ass.

I made 2 trades this summer, as far as I know everyone's happy. Plus if I get cash I end up buying something dumb and never get what I want anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #30
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Seriously? I live in an area where over 1 million people live, I used to open the newspaper and there would be 25 or 30 bikes listed during the summer, now I go to CL and there are thousands of bikes for "sale", this has ruined the ability for most people to get cash, that's why trades are so common. A few bikes in the newspaper would give a buyer a sense of urgency...get your cash together and go snatch it up, now a buyer can look at thousands of bikes with no sense of urgency to buy before they miss it because there are thousands for sale...thousands.
How does having more options to look at "ruin the ability for most people to get cash"?
You still need a sense of urgency with CL. Some apps alert people when what they are looking for pops up. Those deals are swept up within an hour or two of initial posting...and it pisses me off!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote