Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #38761
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
the 12t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Once again, the discussion has focused on the diameter of the front sprocket as the cause of slider wear. My 12T front and lack of slider wear suggests otherwise to me.

I'm sure you can run the 12t without issue, it just takes more effort to dial in the tension. The 14t has not been a problem for my bike so far. All 3 work, provided the chain tension is correct for each set up.

This and the fuel pump get kicked to death on this tread, primarily because the only real problems this bike has is with the fuel pump and the swing arm wear. If these problems didn't exist, the WR250r would be the absolute perfect Dual Sport... this would be a sign of the end times as there is no such thing as true perfection
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #38762
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Glasscock View Post
On the purchase list is the wolfman side racks and was looking at a decent rear rack. I did see where the OEM rack works but may require a little more work for installing. I like the moose racing rear rack and Immix also has a nice one. Has anyone tried to use either of these with the Wolfman's. Thanks!
I have an Immix rack, it's a pretty solid rack. It is 100% steel so it's maybe a bit heavier than some aluminum racks, but being steel it should be quite strong. I think you could probably lift up the whole bike with it.

It is one of the larger platforms out there, which I like. And the mounting to the subframe is pretty robust. Rather than using the four closely-spaced anchor points under the fender, the mounting is spread further apart (two anchors under the fender, two farther forward under the seat with a bracket).

YMMV
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #38763
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
If these problems didn't exist, the WR250r would be the absolute perfect Dual Sport... this would be a sign of the end times as there is no such thing as true perfection
Exactly. Yamaha did us a favor - if the WRR were the perfect dual-sport, the sky would turn red, pigs would fly and the world would end!

I have 6800mi on the original chain slider (13/47 gearing), the last 1,800 of which I've been adjusting the chain tension using SheWolf's heuristic. Inch and a bit between the swingarm and chain, tighten it up and off I go. Seems to work OK. Once I did it up a little too tight and I really liked the way the bike felt (less jerky at low speed because less driveline slack, easier shifts as well) but I loosened it up a little after that. Scared of oil leaks at the countershaft sprocket, and all the associated horrors...
Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #38764
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
Have you actually ridden with the tank panniers loaded up? I tried them and it was a pretty awful failure. Velcro adhesive proved insufficient, bags started moving around, then beating me in the kneecaps. Roadside fix involved straps around each bag, connected to each other over the steering head. They're great for holding standard nalgene bottles though, if you can make them work.
Forget the Velcro, I put a couple grommets in the bottom of the bags and ran a bungee cord between the bags. No more flapping.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #38765
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,090
my 2008 has the original fuel pump and chain slider....42000km's

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #38766
camaroz1985
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
my 2008 has the original fuel pump and chain slider....42000km's
You jinxed yourself stupid!!!! They are both going to fail tomorrow :P
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #38767
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Glasscock View Post
On the purchase list is the wolfman side racks and was looking at a decent rear rack. I did see where the OEM rack works but may require a little more work for installing. I like the moose racing rear rack and Immix also has a nice one. Has anyone tried to use either of these with the Wolfman's. Thanks!
I have the Moose, It kicks ass, and takes a beating. It also makes great handholds for my buddies to pick up the bike off me I have strapped enough gear in a military duffel sack to camp and cook for 4 days on it. I was using it in conjunction with the Happy trails, or some brand that is very similar to the wolfman, side racks. It took some filing and fan dangling, some cursing, and a beer at the end, but it now fits like a charm. I think I might even be able to hang my panniers off the side of the damn thing and get rid of the side racks altogether, so I'm trying to figure out a way to keep them from swinging in towards the center of the bike.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #38768
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
OMG! Go Race Suspension!

I put it back together this afternoon & took it out across the bean field, key word being...... across!

I could tell the difference immediately, even before reaching the field......

I am Happy

I've got Traxxion suspension in a Goldwing......it's pretty nice

I've got Race Tech in a wee Strom......it SUCKS

Go Race is Sooooo nice!

Sleddog
Sleddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #38769
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,879
+1 on GoRace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
OMG! Go Race Suspension!

I put it back together this afternoon & took it out across the bean field, key word being...... across!

I could tell the difference immediately, even before reaching the field......

I am Happy

I've got Traxxion suspension in a Goldwing......it's pretty nice

I've got Race Tech in a wee Strom......it SUCKS

Go Race is Sooooo nice!

Sleddog
Travis did my WR-R over three years ago and it transformed the bike. Even then he was THE expert on the WR-R suspension tweaks.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #38770
Bogus Jim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
OMG! Go Race Suspension!
Welcome to the WRR thread, Sleddog! Saw your "new" bike in your DakAL ride report, you've got it set up nicely for adventure touring.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918833

I had the Go Race treatment done a couple years ago, so much better than stock.
Bogus Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #38771
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
I got one....

She's a little rough on the outside, but seems to run well. Saw the ADV sticker on the front and knew she had some good genes....

MT21s on the way. Exhaust shield is cracked - anyone have one they want to sell?? Mirror looks like it came off a Chinese scooter. Skid plate looks like old washing machine parts.... all will be addressed in time.

If you have any nifty parts or pieces you want to sell lying around shoot me a pm.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #38772
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,223
Looks like mine...right down to the light blue hematomas on the tank wings.
I bet the p.o. was a singletracker. I have a different hillbilly skidplate, though.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #38773
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
So I ordered some Andy Strapz bags and then some Dirtbagz racks but it turns out the dirtbagz racks don't allow you to keep the passenger pegs on the bike so I've quickly sent them an email asking for a refund, hopefully they catch it before postage :S

Does anyone know if the happy trails SL racks remove the passenger pegs as well? I've sent them an email but they probably don't sell many and might not know.

That said, if anyone is selling wolfman racks please let me know.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #38774
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus Jim View Post
Welcome to the WRR thread, Sleddog! Saw your "new" bike in your DakAL ride report, you've got it set up nicely for adventure touring.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918833

I had the Go Race treatment done a couple years ago, so much better than stock.
Thanks Jim, During that ride we swapped bikes & that's when I realized I needed some suspension work!

I got lucky, I got this bike from a fellow inmate in Memphis, pretty much set up the way I wanted for ADV Touring. Looking forward to taking it to Mexico in the Spring, it's going to be great in the Canyon's!
Sleddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #38775
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
So I ordered some Andy Strapz bags and then some Dirtbagz racks but it turns out the dirtbagz racks don't allow you to keep the passenger pegs on the bike so I've quickly sent them an email asking for a refund, hopefully they catch it before postage :S

Does anyone know if the happy trails SL racks remove the passenger pegs as well? I've sent them an email but they probably don't sell many and might not know.

That said, if anyone is selling wolfman racks please let me know.
I own the sl racks. I use them in conjunction with the very slightly modifed wolfman top rack. They allow you to use passenger pegs. Overall happy with them. I am using ortlieb panniers. If you have bags already, you can just buy ortlieb mounts for about $12 per side. I was thinking of modding some seal bags. Currently using my waterproof bicycle panniers
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote