Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #31
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,746
I have done 4 trades from the flea market on this site. All have worked out great for both parties.

In fact, I'm looking for one now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgDadddy View Post
Looking to trade my 2007 Bandit 1250 w/ ABS. The bike has Renthal Bars and risers, Holeshot Stage II kit with a pipe, Givi Top Case, engine guards and is MINT! One of the most torquiest, yet comfortable and reliable bikes out there today. It has around 12K miles on it and has never been down. Good rubber, fresh synthetic oil, stebel horn. The think is perfect! If I had to put a price on it it would be $5,000 and would settle for $4,500.

I am looking for some kind of adventure bike. A VStrom 1,000 or GS would make the most sense. Would probably take a 1200 Sportster also. Not really looking for a DS (I have one) or a sport bike (The Bandit is my sport bike).

If anyone who is into fast, torquey bikes comes and rides this thing, they will want it. Guaranteed.

BgDadddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #32
Sugar Pig
almost certain...

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
So, as I look at all the bikes for sale in the flea market, I'm baffled why so many people want to make trades. Can anyone explain this to me? Is it simply the sales tax savings? What are the odds that someone has the exact bike that I want and that I have the bike that he wants? Very slim! For instance, I have an '04 GS 1150 and would love to get on a 1200 GS. Who out there wants to make that trade? This phenom just makes me curious.
I traded a 2010 Ducati Multistrada for a 1934 Harley VLD. What are the odds of that?

People trade because it works for them, whats so hard to understand.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #33
Jumping Jack Flash
USG Vagabond

Oddometer: 101
I have my bike up for partial trade as an option simply because one never knows who might come along looking for a winter cosmetic restoration project and happens to have what I am looking for.....

If you don't ask you will never know!
Jumping Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #34
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
How does having more options to look at "ruin the ability for most people to get cash"?
You still need a sense of urgency with CL. Some apps alert people when what they are looking for pops up. Those deals are swept up within an hour or two of initial posting...and it pisses me off!

Your quotes imply that I said that and I didn't...your quoting is what you interpreted in your mind, not what I said.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #35
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Your quotes imply that I said that and I didn't...your quoting is what you interpreted in your mind, not what I said.
Then why don't you answer my question.

Never mind, I went back and re read what you said, but its still not accurate. You make it sound like cash sales are becoming rare. Far from it.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
I have sold several bikes over the past couple years listing things that I would take in trade but I have had to settle for cash every time. Stupid Craigslist...
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #37
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
i think trading could be easier than selling . i considered selling my r1150gs and buying another cruiser . maybe another inmate might be thinking the same cruiser for bmw .still might happen in spring we'll see
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #38
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
i think trading could be easier than selling . i considered selling my r1150gs and buying another cruiser . maybe another inmate might be thinking the same cruiser for bmw .still might happen in spring we'll see
2005 Suzuki boulevard 800 interest you any?

Seriously though, I'd trade you, and we're close enough to make it happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #39
Island Rider
solo adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Trading allows you to get something that maybe you didn't think you wanted.

I traded a Mercedes 300 E sedan for this:
[/URL]
Then 8 years later traded the Unimog to an inmate here for this:
 photo 031_zpsb4c2a0af.jpg

Had a great time with the Ducati for several years and then moved on. I was not shopping for either, but they were both great fun.
Island Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #40
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
[QUOTE=jules083;22622172]2005 Suzuki boulevard 800 interest you any?

Seriously though, I'd trade you, and we're close enough to make it happen.

i was thinking valkyrie or 1500 cc cruiser. nice bike by the way
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #41
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
[QUOTE=cardoctor1;22629778]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
i was thinking valkyrie or 1500 cc cruiser. nice bike by the way
Thanks. I bought it to make a sidecar rig, I'm still searching for a suitable hack at the right price.

I think the valkyrie is probably my favorite Japanese cruiser. It's not a 'Harley clone', sounds amazing, and I imagine has plenty of power. The 800 surprises me though. It's about comparable to my Harley with a stock 96".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #42
brian.ict
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
It's fun—and it's bolstered by how well motorcycles hold their value. I traded my Versys straight across for a cruiser when I thought I wanted a cruiser. If I would've waited a few months I could've traded the cruiser for the Vstrom I wanted—I should've just posted a wanted to trade add but instant-gratification plus dealer leaves me with a loan, oh well.

It's actually not that out of place to find someone who wants the bike you have and you have the bike they want.
brian.ict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #43
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,050
It is a means to an end, and creates an additional opportunity.

I have a 06 KTM 560 SMR to sell. Want a track prepped SV650. I have a guy that saw my had, wants a supermoto, and has a track prepped SV650.

Match made in heaven.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #44
Tom_C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
What kills me is that I put NO TRADES in big bold letters in my ads, and still get people calling and texting for trades. Even worse is when the person offers something and says what he thinks it's worth, and then I go google it and can get it new for less, and to top it off the item is worth $500 less than my cash price of $1500... Best one I had was a guy wanting to trade me a depth finder, and I don't even have a boat. No prob, the guy says, I can make you a great deal on a boat I have for sale....
Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #45
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_C View Post
What kills me is that I put NO TRADES in big bold letters in my ads, and still get people calling and texting for trades. Even worse is when the person offers something and says what he thinks it's worth, and then I go google it and can get it new for less, and to top it off the item is worth $500 less than my cash price of $1500... Best one I had was a guy wanting to trade me a depth finder, and I don't even have a boat. No prob, the guy says, I can make you a great deal on a boat I have for sale....
Lol. I would trade the '95 GS for a '99 S but not a boat or green eggs and ham.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote