User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #1336
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
tips for new riders

Don't store your bike where rodents roam, or at least put moth balls in openings (and remember to take them out).

DAMHIK

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #1337
keiPHadventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopapillon View Post
1) Don't hit anything.
2) Don't let anything hit you.
3) Don't fall over.

Sounds simple enough, doesn't it?

M-P
Profound but simple. I like it! What does "Eppur Si Mouve" mean, by the way? I have that Enigma CD and I've always wondered what it meant...
Old 10-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #1338
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 6,914
A healthy respect for the hobby of motorcycling, and the fact that it can kill you. Other hobbies can't. This one, much like firearms, does not suffer idiots and mistakes particularly well. You need not be paranoid, but failing to understand and respect exactly what can go wrong, how it can go wrong, and how you build the skills and attitude to prevent that, is the cornerstone of riding. For me anyway...

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #1339
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiPHadventure View Post
Profound but simple. I like it! What does "Eppur Si Mouve" mean, by the way? I have that Enigma CD and I've always wondered what it meant...
"And yet, it still moves".
Quote from Galileo Gallilei when he was obliged to refute his claim that the earth revolves around the sun in stead of being motionless.
Apologies followed only recently, three centuries late.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #1340
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Haven't read the thread but what I have to continually work on (like weighting the downhill ski & keeping one's head down in golf) is look up the road, loose on the grips and bent elbows. Ian, Iowa

Pardon me, I've had a few!
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #1341
scmopar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Treat a bike as you would a plane preflight/preride check no matter if its been parked 15 months or 15 min . Bikes can be finicky bastards
Old 10-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #1342
CosmoKorny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmopar View Post
Treat a bike as you would a plane preflight/preride check no matter if its been parked 15 months or 15 min . Bikes can be finicky bastards
Seriously? Wow.
CosmoKorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #1343
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmopar View Post
LOL!! Im kind of bad about that. If the tires have air and the bike starts.....its good to go.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #1344
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,584
yeah, the pre-flight inspection idea is a good one. but, if you ride your bike every day, it becomes a bit burdensome.

i'd say it's a good idea if you only ride once a weekend or something, but my DRZ (daily commuter) only gets a thorough pre-flight every month or so.

no oil on the ground under it? check.
tires are not completely flat? check.
brakes work OK as i' getting on it? check.
starts up? check

i'm good to go...

(it's obvious if the head light is not working and i do check to make sure the tail light is working every now and then.)
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #1345
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
yeah, the pre-flight inspection idea is a good one. but, if you ride your bike every day, it becomes a bit burdensome.

i'd say it's a good idea if you only ride once a weekend or something, but my DRZ (daily commuter) only gets a thorough pre-flight every month or so.

no oil on the ground under it? check.
tires are not completely flat? check.
brakes work OK as i' getting on it? check.
starts up? check

i'm good to go...

(it's obvious if the head light is not working and i do check to make sure the tail light is working every now and then.)

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #1346
keiPHadventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
"And yet, it still moves".
Quote from Galileo Gallilei when he was obliged to refute his claim that the earth revolves around the sun in stead of being motionless.
Apologies followed only recently, three centuries late.
Cool! Great info! Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #1347
Greg MacD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Gravity Works
"Drinking Rum before 10 am does not make you an Alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate"
Greg MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #1348
Eladbern
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
First 50 miles on your new tires the mold release is insanely slick treat them like your riding on ice....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Eladbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #1349
Obi
2013 Multistrada GT

Oddometer: 15
When you overtake a car: a)look inside the car:whats the driver doing ( paying attention on the road/mirrors or texting/talking/putting on makeup....), b) watch the left hand of the driver: finger reaching for the blinker indicator to turn left while you overtake?could give you the extra second to brake or floor it to avoid an accident ( saved me already a few times)
Obi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #1350
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Don't assume other vehicles are going to behave in a way that is intelligent, predictable, or which takes you into account.

It is not possible to overestimate how bad a car driver can be. What follows are things I have personally experienced riding with one young woman (who I refuse to ride with any more) On every trip she takes, she:

a) runs all stop signs [claims she does not see them];

b) pulls out right in front of oncoming traffic when leaving a parking lot [believes she always has the right of way];

c) speeds....she drives a BMW 335xi coupe at crazy speeds: 60-65 through a small town downtown, 60 on residential streets with 30-35mph speed limits;

d) believes that "right on red" means that you don't have to stop and look before you turn, that you can just zoom through it and other drivers have to make way for you;

e) refuses to wear glasses even though she is supposed to wear them when driving [purely vanity...and is willing to risk her own and everyone else's life because of it].

She has been ticketed, and had one accident so far but nothing's changed. The cops were unfair. The accident was the other guy's fault, etc etc. She will never change.....unless, maybe, she kills someone.

She is the worst driver I've ever been with, and I'm sure she is not alone. I've ridden with two others who were pretty good but who had a bad habit of looking at you when talking....and so we would veer into the right hand lane or onto the shoulder. At speed. Anywhere. From the left lane of the freeway to the shoulder in a couple of seconds...I would be lunging for the wheel.

These people are out there. They are a menace and they will kill you without even trying, given half a chance. I recommend training yourself to never assume a car driver is a good driver or to use your own driving skill as the basis for your estimate of others' driving skill....unless you are an horrific driver...then go right ahead.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote