ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Into the desert.

You know what bothers me? I love exploring, but I'm not the greatest at finding hidden gems no matter how far I look.

And I have been looking, far and wide for a few different things within a 100 or so mile radius of Phoenix. Hopefully you folks can help me out.

#1: Cafes, Coffee Shops, Diners, etc that actually have a view. Mainly, a view of the desert. I love the desert, the flat desert that extends forever possibly with a cactus here and there. I know there's a possibility in the Goldfield Ghost Town and in Cave Creek as well. I was wondering if there's anything worth noting in Wickenburg as I like the view out that way. Some where I can sit and sip coffee or have a breakfast while looking out across the desert.

#2: Easy Mode Trails that actually have some length to them. Already discovered the one out past Lake Pleasant and a few others, but looking for recommendations. There are tons of trails out here but a lot of them require more knobby tires than I have and I usually have a pillion onboard so I'm just looking for fun smooth trails. From what I can see there are a TON up north in and around Monument Valley but I'm looking for some closer to Phoenix.

#3: Ghost Towns, Western Towns, Ancient Ruins, sights of interest. Already been to Cave Creek, Goldfield and Jerome. Tombstone is a bit of a ways out of reach. Any suggestions?

So, can anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you kindly!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
No coffee shop, but there's ruins easily accessible on seven springs road. I think they're called the Sears Kay ruins.

Bring your own coffee, and make it your own trip!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Right on, those look really neat and they're just outside of Cave Creek too. I'll have to pay them a visit. Thank you kindly :)

As far as bringing my own coffee, only if I'm camping!

I guess I just fancy riding out to some where for coffee or breakfast. Speaking of which, anyone ever been here or have any info on it?

http://www.arrowheadbarandgrill.com/

They are quite remote but it seems they don't do breakfast
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Oddometer: 590
Zeid,

If you can ride during the week to avoid the crowds you can't go wrong with 4-Peaks road and food at Butchers Hook.

Or you can take the Apache Trail for a easier route

For views try the restaurant at Saguaro Lake

Bill

IBRiding screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 08:54 PM
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 303
So when you say trails are you referring to dirt roads? I generally think of trails as single track.

If its dirt roads you want, you could try the Four Peaks road, though it has narly bits. The Kearny(I think its called) road from down by Florence south to Oracle should be just what you're looking for, and pretty country. About 60' wide and nicely graded. The Rim drive, from above Payson out to the East is pretty peaceful. Alamo Lake is out in the Desert West of Phx, I have been in from the North, which would be pretty passable to a non dirt machine.

Use caution when assuming that roads in Monument Valley are passable to non knobby tires. The sand out there will blow your mind, even on a dirt bike. If it rains hard, the mud is impassable to any wheeled vehicle. They occasionally bring in snow cats to service oil wells in that country when things get really moist.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Some really great suggestions here so far... Gonna go out today and find me some adventure with these newfound suggestions. The more the better, it'd be great if this turned into a compilation. Thanks a bunch for the replies!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBRiding View Post
Zeid,

If you can ride during the week to avoid the crowds you can't go wrong with 4-Peaks road and food at Butchers Hook.

Or you can take the Apache Trail for a easier route

For views try the restaurant at Saguaro Lake

Bill
Those are great. Used to ride them all the time when I lived in PHX. Four Peaks has a lot of elevation changes (it takes you to 5000' MSL) and some relatively tight corners so you might want to go non-two-up and with someone who knows the trail your first time if you're a novice off-roader.

Other easy ones (flat, wide, maintained dirt):
  • Florence-Kelvin Highway from Florence to Kelvin.
  • Florence-Kelvin Highway to Barkerville road to Route 77.
On the east side of Four Peaks:

DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,192
Take a look at the Great Western Trail. I have GPS tracks on GPSXchange.com
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
Right on, those look really neat and they're just outside of Cave Creek too. I'll have to pay them a visit. Thank you kindly :)

As far as bringing my own coffee, only if I'm camping!

I guess I just fancy riding out to some where for coffee or breakfast. Speaking of which, anyone ever been here or have any info on it?

http://www.arrowheadbarandgrill.com/

They are quite remote but it seems they don't do breakfast
The Arrowhead is always under new management... Last time & I do mean last time... it was a rather tough "miners" bar. They only serve food occasionally.
Just go on up the road to Yarnell and eat at the Ranch House just at the top of the hill. Sheli & the girls put out some great food. Open for breakfast & lunch Thursday thru Sunday. There is a back way through Stanton if you want to get dirty!
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
The Arrowhead is always under new management... Last time & I do mean last time... it was a rather tough "miners" bar. They only serve food occasionally.
Just go on up the road to Yarnell and eat at the Ranch House just at the top of the hill. Sheli & the girls put out some great food. Open for breakfast & lunch Thursday thru Sunday. There is a back way through Stanton if you want to get dirty!
Agreed. Arrowhead has always been a dump, but I'd still stop in once in a while.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Thanks everyone, greatly appreciated. I see a lot of you are from Wickenburg, what's the best little place to eat at there? For some reason that town has always appealed to me. I love the ride out to it.

Also great suggestions here, every single one of them taken down and noted and still looking for more. The other day after it was posted here I went and tried the Florence - Kelvin highway. It was a lot of fun but I seem to have a problem going down it two up. Still trying to get use to mild off road riding with my girlfriend on the back. She's only about 120 and I'm about 190. Do knobbies make a good and noticable difference on dirt like that? It gets kind of soft in some areas and it feels like the front wheel is always on the verge of turning in and us going down on that stuff. I'm using the stock tires that come on the R1200GS, the more road oriented looking ones with a slight bit of dual sport capability. Not at the bike right now so I couldn't say which exactly they are.

Thanks again everyone
Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Do knobbies make a good and noticable difference on dirt like that? It gets kind of soft in some areas and it feels like the front wheel is always on the verge of turning in and us going down on that stuff.
Yes.

In addition, riding off-road/on loose surfaces requires a different set of braking and turning skills than street riding. If you haven't had any off-road training read this:
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-34...-download.aspx

You may also want to pick up this DVD:

http://www.dualsportriding.com/produ...techniques-dvd
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,715
Quote:
I see a lot of you are from Wickenburg, what's the best little place to eat at there?
I like El Ranchero. It's on U.S. 60, about a mile west of the main traffic light in town. Others will chime in and say Zeke's is good. It's not bad, I just don't need to eat at another ROTM greasy spoon. Anita's is another favorite. It's white boy Mexican.

Quote:
For some reason that town has always appealed to me. I love the ride out to it.
The riding out here is great, but I'm moving back to Phoenix. The commute to work in Scottsdale after 8 years is too much for me.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
I like El Ranchero. It's on U.S. 60, about a mile west of the main traffic light in town. Others will chime in and say Zeke's is good. It's not bad, I just don't need to eat at another ROTM greasy spoon. Anita's is another favorite. It's white boy Mexican.

The riding out here is great, but I'm moving back to Phoenix. The commute to work in Scottsdale after 8 years is too much for me.

S.C.
It's Ike's.... not Zeke's
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Jesse Luggage
Luggage Dude

Oddometer: 306
Another nice road is Agua Caliente out of Arlington, (old US80) south of buckeye. You can loop around, go to the Painted Rocks, and then into Gila Bend. Easy riding. And you might try dropping the air pressure in your tires if you don't like the feeling of the front end washing out in the dirt.
Neil
Jesse Luggage is offline   Reply With Quote