Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #2116
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post
Hey JD,

Looking forward to the new build. What diameter are the DRZ upper tubes? What size are late model KLR upper tubes? I take it the DRZ must be superior legs since they end up on your builds.
the DRZ forks have a number of advantages for a Versys based moto built for travel. cheap sourcing, huge aftermarket support, almost 12" travel, fully adjustable, massive 49mm stanchions, no steering stop issues, documented easy swap, and conventional design. why is the non-sexy conventional fork an advantage on a moto designed for long range travel on multi surface roads? the seals are located and pointed away from trouble, and if a problem does develop, the seal tends to weep, not puke the fork oil out the bottom like a USD fork. seems like a small point to make until you're on a trip with a leaking fork seal, and a long way from help. the DRZ stanchions are not a uniform diameter, and only allow about 25mm of adjustment on the clamping surface.

the late model KLR forks have 41mm stanchions, and are also a very easy swap because the 41mm ER6 fork clamps swap to the Versys without modification. if going this route, source ER6N clamps that use a conventional damped bar mount. these forks also have a lot of support, and also have a uniform stanchion diameter so that there is unlimited adjustment, an advantage for tuning ride height and handling. this fork and clamp combo was too light for me and the way i ride, but may be perfectly suitable for others.

the DRZs work great the last time, no need to switch.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #2117
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hi fellows,
I just took a look at this http://advrider.com/forums/search.php?searchid=28154911 by typing the word 'Adversys' into the search ...
I wonder, if Kawasaki really is aware of the potential of this bike. Look at the amount of threads and replies and at the number of readers!!! What, if they'd decide to build a real dual-sport in Dakar-style around this engine? If I was Mr. Kawasaki, I'd even think of sleeving it down to the Dakar-limit of 450 cc and try to use this as a marketing-platform! Akashi, this might be your wake-up-call!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 10-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #2118
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Look at the amount of threads and replies and at the number of readers!!! ...
these threads have been around for years at this point, so it's not front page news.

the real story is the number of these bikes that do not show up in a build thread, of which there are many times more, although still a tiny fraction of the number of any half way comparable production bike.

what Kawasaki does or doesn't do in the area of future design and production is not a concern of guys building these motos...if they wanted a bike off the showroom floor, they wouldn't be working away out in the shop.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #2119
Scubawerx
Scubawerx

Oddometer: 146
Well said

Well said jd. Any new projects up YOUR sleeve?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #2120
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawerx View Post
Well said jd. Any new projects up YOUR sleeve?
got the parts for a bike, a few tweaks here and there, nothing major. if i can get started, shouldn't take long.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #2121
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
is there any reason those bushes couldnot be just red loctited in without the shoulder. then some thin wall tube could be used eliminating the shop work.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #2122
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hello there,
jdrocks replied:

'these threads have been around for years at this point, so it's not front page news.

the real story is the number of these bikes that do not show up in a build thread, of which there are many times more, although still a tiny fraction of the number of any half way comparable production bike.

what Kawasaki does or doesn't do in the area of future design and production is not a concern of guys building these motos...if they wanted a bike off the showroom floor, they wouldn't be working away out in the shop.'

All of this is true and untrue by the same time. In Germany, my country, for example you're not allowed to cut, re-design and weld a motor-cycle frame. You can do modifications, but usually just on the 'bolt-on-side' or it's a long and thorny road as you got to have permissions or documents for every little bit ...
I don't worry too much about my own theory, being an elder bloke with limited skills and having found a few bikes I do like. I'm able to maintain and repair them and to make minor changes to get them nearer to my needs and likes. It's just been a thought, especially as I do like mid-sized off-road-twins very much. And I thought there would be some more people with these likes out there ... And, finally, I thought it would give some pride to those who built these bikes ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #2123
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
is there any reason those bushes couldnot be just red loctited in without the shoulder. then some thin wall tube could be used eliminating the shop work.
there's more than one way to sleeve the lower clamp 1.5mm, but machining the sleeves per my spec is probably the easiest. this batch of sleeves was specced with a 4mm shoulder, heavier than the shoulder on the first set. this still allows the piece to self position and trim in place, and also helps it maintain shape. if the piece gets out of round for any reason, basically, you're screwed.

if you find some tubing that runs exactly 49/52, let us know the sourcing.

here are the first sleeves with a narrow 1mm+/- shoulder.

new sleeves with a 4mmX60mm shoulder.

lucky i made the change on the build sheet, i would have had a real tough time widening the slot otherwise. 1.5mm or .06 feels eggshell thin if ya have to do a little work on them.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #2124
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
1.5mm or .06 feels eggshell thin if ya have to do a little work on them.
It's interesting how quickly: "boy, this is pretty beefy" can change to: "ack, look how thin this is..." if you discover you need to do some more work on it.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #2125
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post

In Germany, my country, for example you're not allowed to cut, re-design and weld a motor-cycle frame. You can do modifications, but usually just on the 'bolt-on-side' ...

good deal, you're all set, ya can bolt together a V649HP without getting tossed in the big house.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #2126
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
It's interesting how quickly: "boy, this is pretty beefy" can change to: "ack, look how thin this is..."
true, some restraint was necessary, my hands ain't exactly dainty.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #2127
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Looking at http://www.emjmetals.com/PDF/BBook/T...and%20Pipe.pdf,
calcing the difference in sae diameters and wondering about the shape of the
bush after the slot is cut plus adding the fill factor of the red loctite why not just use these tubes as bushes. now I am using different triples on my suzie(50/54) but yet donot have them yet(still have the ninja triples)
here are the numbers from the charts.
2 inch with a .035 wall ,id = 1.930(49mm=1.92913,50mm=1.96850)
2.125 with a .095 wall,id=1.935(.006 diff but what is the manufacturing tolerences on these tubes +/-.
just trying to filter some info.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #2128
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,516
Did your machine shop buddy try rolling sheet? .06 or .07 shim stock would roll up like a sheet of paper.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9500k19/=p3csng

The nice thing about the shoulder, it doesn't try to slip out of the clamp while you are driving down the road.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT

MTrider16 screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 12:27 PM
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #2129
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
Looking at www.emjmetals.com/PDF/BBook/Tubing%20and%20Pipe.pdf,
calcing the difference in sae diameters and wondering about the shape of the
bush after the slot is cut plus adding the fill factor of the red loctite why not just use these tubes as bushes. now I am using different triples on my suzie(50/54) but yet donot have them yet(still have the ninja triples)
here are the numbers from the charts.
2 inch with a .035 wall ,id = 1.930(49mm=1.92913,50mm=1.96850)
2.125 with a .095 wall,id=1.935(.006 diff but what is the manufacturing tolerences on these tubes +/-.
just trying to filter some info.
anyone wanting to fab these sleeves themselves, or to use a jobshop for the work is welcome to explore any method or material they care to chose, but of the people who have contacted me about fabbing the parts, nobody has mentioned using anything other than 6061 schedule 80 pipe, the same material i use. nobody has asked for a CNC file, for instance, so the sleeves could be cut from a chunk of 6061. i've always said that these sleeves should be easy and cheap, and they are if you can do the work yourself, or find the right machinist. cheap means minimal setup, and fast production.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #2130
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Did your machine shop buddy try rolling sheet?
never asked, not what i want.