Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Earth Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
So don't let them hit you... Just as you did this time.
Thanks. Probably the best advice.
Earth Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Yep, I think we all have had more than one experience like that.

) Riding east on a two lane highway with the sun almost down in the west at my back. A PT Cruiser was behind another car on a straight stretch heading west (seen them both), looked left into a field and then back. The PT Cruiser was in my lane passing the other car coming at me. I literally had 3 seconds to move to the other side of the fog line to keep from getting smashed like a bug @ 60 mph. I could have slapped her side mirrors when she went by... damn.

) Multiple encounters with deer. Sometimes they just don't stop, or they wait until the VERY last moment to bolt. Brake - Brake - Brake.

) Multiple encounters in town with cars and such cutting me off - texting or what ever...

) People turning left with no turn signal on when we bikers are passing. We have had a couple of people at work who fell into this one. Not good.

Staying alert at all times I think is key. Just like you did.

Good job.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
beendog
Banned

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
Like I said, just to the right of the intersection was a railroad bridge going over the street obscuring everything with a tall embankment in both directions. I checked it as well as I could. It just far enough down the road that you can't really see anything beyond it. I don't know how to explain it better than that.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section.
In situations like this, you turn left and pull into the middle of the road(left of your lane). Basically you want to turn much sharper than you would normally and place your front tire on the inside line of the inside lane.

So for example if you were turning left onto a two-way road with one lane in each direction, you would place your tire on the double yellow line. This way you are splitting between the oncoming traffic and your lane of traffic.

I do this at night as well, in case I turn left in front of a car with no headlights. I always turn left onto the yellow line so that they can fly past me on the right and I only move over once I am maybe 60% of the way to the speed limit.
beendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
Earth Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beendog View Post
In situations like this, you turn left and pull into the middle of the road(left of your lane). Basically you want to turn much sharper than you would normally and place your front tire on the inside line of the inside lane.

So for example if you were turning left onto a two-way road with one lane in each direction, you would place your tire on the double yellow line. This way you are splitting between the oncoming traffic and your lane of traffic.

I do this at night as well, in case I turn left in front of a car with no headlights. I always turn left onto the yellow line so that they can fly past me on the right and I only move over once I am maybe 60% of the way to the speed limit.
Thanks. Good comments and I will keep them in mind for the future. The construction in this intersection made the lane unnaturally narrow too, and I think there were even cones separating the lanes so it was just an overall mess.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
And that was just a close call. A near death experience involves injuries.
beat me to it
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,592
I don't wait when the light turns green. Waiting still won't necessarily save you. LOOK, if you don't want to get blasted by somebody blowing a light. People can blow a light 10-20 seconds or more after it has turned red. LOOK, before you enter a lane. In the US, check left, then right, then left again as you start through the first lanes. As you reach the middle of the road, check right again before proceeding into that half of the road.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
ive had two or three.

commute at 11pm, 65 miles and new job 53 miles from home.
on the longer it was all two lane roads here in wv up rt52.

in fall a town called gilbert has an atv trail fest for the hatfield mccoy trails. going to work one sunday, on my 600 shadow, i enter a nice left hand blind turn. i was going maybe 40-45 mph. its one of those long turns that follow the river. here comes a black tahoe with a ~ 20 foot camper/toy hauler in tow. the trailer is sliding into the turn and pulling the suv around with it. i dive for the outside of the turn and get between the white line and guard rail as it goes but in the middle of my lane.
had i been in my truck, i couldn't of missed him. that image is vivid in my head, his face with the look of terror has he hit this 35mph rated turn, believe he was from ohio maybe.. from what it looked like he passed a slower car and just couldn't slow down for the turn. its one of those turns( from his direction) that starts shallow and quickly gets sharp.

i have had two close calls with deer. one on a two lane stretch at about midnight. maybe oct about 2 years ago, i was running about 60 mph, to over a crest and see some deer in a field to my left. i slow some and from a right a doe jumps in front of me. lock it up and stop about 15 feet in front of it. i cuss at it, it blows at me and runs off.

the next one i was on my cm400e at about 1030 this march. doing about 70mph down the four lane. come around a turn and see a group of deer jumping the cables in the middle of the median. i give the drum brakes all they got. but the first deer was already in the passing lane. i release the brake and roll the throttle and tuck, i aim for the 3rd deers hind quarters. i feel the deers back leg graze my pants leg, as deer number 4 was just a few feet to my left. i was in shock that, i had split them. i was doing about 55mph when i went between them. ( 39hp +1 front sprocket doesnt have alot of power in top gear). i was shaking for the next 30 miles home. I still dont know how i didnt hit them or go down.

not had alot of traffic related issues, but i dont drive in traffic much.

wvtaco screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 01:54 PM
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #23
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
There was really nothing I would have done differently. It was a blind intersection so I waited even longer than I usually would and tried to see as far as I could down the road. He wasn't visible past the bridge until I was already in the intersection.
But was it blind to the SUV, or did he have some rise farther back that showed him the light was still green before he lost sight of it?

Or did the SUV see the light the entire time?

Anyway, self preservation here in s. Florida means waiting for about 4 seconds after a light turns green - and looking both ways twice - and staying put if you see anyone approaching at that point. We're not just waiting about four seconds, we're actively scanning and getting ready to stay longer.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Near Death Experience daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
beat me to it
When we lived in Morocco the wife & I had near death experience every time we were in traffic, not necessarily ours but some one or some thing would come right up to the "edge!" Out of the cities & in the country was no different. Two & four legged would dart into our path at anytime of the day or night!

Come to think of it, it was the same experience riding or driving anywhere in Africa & the Middle east!

Key a look-out at all times & always check your six!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #25
atgatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Sounds like a close call. Glad you are OK. You need to do whatever makes you comfortable.

I wonder sometimes though. I live in the Boston area and there have been at least 5 bicyclists killed in the past 3 months. All of them were hit by cars... and yet I *never* hear anyone say... "well that's it, I'm never riding my bike on the street again."
atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #26
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,220
Over 35 years on the street, and I can not remember a close call.
Many times I could have had a close call or worse if I weas not paying attention, but no close calls.

Plenty of the usual changing lanes into me, running red lights, deer running out in front of me, but no close calls, because I saw it all coming in advance.

In this case, I would avoid that intersection, and I use my hearing (what is left of it) to locate cars. Quiet pipes save lives.
Sometimes, if its a bad intersection and I can not see, I will make a right and turn when its safe to do so.
Same in a car, if I can not see, I do not go.

I avoid some roads because its madness to ride a bike on them, and their is always another way to go, even if it adds a little time.
I never mind time on a bike, and do not want time in a hospital, that cuts into riding time.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #27
Earth Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
But was it blind to the SUV, or did he have some rise farther back that showed him the light was still green before he lost sight of it?

Or did the SUV see the light the entire time?
You can't see the intersection at all from the other side of that bridge, but there's plenty of time to stop. You just need to be paying attention. I should post a pic.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Not really a near death experience but lost my headlight tonight and was on a road without streetlights/houses/businesses. Talk about hard to see. I ended up riding right on the white line so I could follow the contrast between the road and the desert. Parked it at my friends house until I can rig a temporary fix.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #29
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,195
One time I hit a skunk at night because I had my tinted visor on.
Yawn, next challenge please.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
Izzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I was going about 55 on a 2 lane country road, coming up on a flashing yellow light- driver with a flashing red starts coming SLOWLY across the intersection like I'm not there. Can't stop, have to choose in front of car or behind- twist the throttle, I'm riding the white line, miss the front of the car (still moving) by about an inch. Don't know if it was a drunk or what. I don't get that pissed about little things anymore, because in that situation and a couple others my luck was good when I really needed it
Izzo is offline   Reply With Quote