Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #1396
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,857
I have no idea I was expecting them to be all wearing Sombreros and sitting under a cactus tree drinking tequila, I'm constantly amazed how different things actually are every where I go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
So are those hats in the museum genuine Mexican hats?
Nice photos, still a great read guys, enjoying your journey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 01:57 AM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #1397
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We arrived in Guerro Negro late in the afternoon, its a smallish town not what you call your postcard perfect destination dusty, a little run down I was actually a little surprised as this area is supposed to be on of the best places in the world to go whale watching so was expecting it to be a little more touristic.

Anyway its got its own charm, there isnt much here but we rode around for a little while found the local baseball stadium where their is a regional competition going on over the next few days so ill have to venture down and have a gander at a game at some point, grab myself a hog hoof special to chomp on while I watch the game.

Baja so far has felt very safe not like I was told while riding through North America just about everyone we met up there asked are we mad going down here, I guess the people might kill me with smiles and friendly welcomes yet, I probably shouldnt say anything till I get out of here, the old famous last words and everything.

The burbs of Guerro Negro

One of the fine electrical trade establishments along the main drag of Guerro Negro.

Stopped for4 a quick look at the baseball will come back and check it out properly.

Two minutes from the main drag of town its pretty much nothing.

Doesn't she look good sitting there in the sunshine, I love you baby.

Dinner time in Guerro Negro holy dooley man that's hot.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 12:53 AM
Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #1398
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today we just went for a ride all around town its not real big but there is a beautiful wetlands area not far out of town and if your into birdwatching you would probaby love this area at certain times of year, but its not for me the birds I like watching arent around here.

OMG I cant even get any quiet time with my baby without someone taking pictures, bloody paparazzi.

I was running low on cash so we went for a walk down to the ATM and oh no not accepting my card so no money for now, fortunalty the card works in the shops so we went to the supermarket and bought some dinner which was ok. We weren't the only foreigners to have that a problem there was only 2 ATM's in town and one was down the other wasnt spitting out money so just make sure you got a little bit of extra cash for this section of the journey its obvioulsy not just fuel that is scarce around here, we changed some at our hotel so its not all doom and gloom if you do run out.

We were relaxing this afternoon and a dutch guy Phil came up to our door he was looking for the office and was pointed our way I guess anyone riding a motorbike is pointed in the direction of other bikers so we went out and had a chat to him for awhile. He was with 3 other Dutch crew heading to South America. After he left I went out the front and saw that they were parked down the road and walked down to have a chat to them. Andre, Phil, Marian and Edwin had met in an online group started by someone else who had planned the trip and they were the last surviving 4 that actually made the trip, the internet is so good in putting people in contact these days isnt it.

They are on a much quicker time frame than us and have till the end of Febuary to get down south after riding from Prudoe Bay in Alaska. We said out good byes after organising to hook up for dinner later and they went off to get a hotel a little on the cheaper side, in the end they payed 20 bucks for 2 in a basic room and we were paying 35 so you can get cheap accomodation if you want.

Ev and I headed out to the ball game for a look it was great to be the only tourists out there we were obviously being looked at and a few of them tried to chat with us all I've got is Gracious adios Amigo and a few other phrases I just generally ay Australia slapping my chest and kangaroo and they seem to get the drift and smile at this friggin lunatic. The mascot for the local team was hilarious had the crowd in stitches which made for lots of smiles and laughs.

This guy had represented Mexico and was pretty well received by everyone in the crowd

One pig trotter and coke thanks mate

A few hours later we met up for dinner, they are leaving in the morning, this isnt the town you would want to spend a day relaxing in if you had a deadline, there are much nice towns to do that in. Dinner was just burritos etc in one of the local cafes you know the deal open to the street rough interior but all the locals are eating there so its got to be good.

We walked up grabbed a few beers and headed back to their hotel for a chat and just relaxed there for awhile before calling it a night. We will ride with them tomrorrow and see how we go Mariane has only been riding for a few months so it will be slow going im sure but she isnt the first girl to be new on a bike riding around the world we have come across so being around her for a few days might encourage Ev it is indeed possible to get her own bike and do it.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 09:18 PM
Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #1399
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We got up at a nice hour to hit the road aroudn 9, thats got to be in my area of comfort some people are up at the crack of dawn to start off and if they had said that I might of been having second thoughts about going with them. They only ride a few hundred k's a day as Marian gets a bit tired and they dont want to push her, im sure the distances she covers will increase with time, she really has a great riding style for someone that has only just jumped on a bike a few months before hand and its a Vstrom 650 which is quite big for her.

Andre leaving on Guerro Negro on his F800 gs

Edwin leaving on his Yamaha

Mariane on her VStrom

And Phil on a Transalp

So on the road it was heading towards Santa Rosaria on the other coast it was only a 230k's away so it was never going to be a hard day at the office but we took our time and enjoyed the ride. There is a tropical storm down south at the moment I have been warned about it a few times and I talked to them about it they hadnt heard of it but we will be heading into or the aftemath of it over the next few days.

One of the little cafe's we stopped at for a break.

While we were stopped this lady came over to say hello and show her little grandson the bikes, adios amigo.

As we arrived in Santa Rosaria it started to rain so I was thinking to myself here it comes. Santa Rosariia is a different town again, obvioulsy, but with smallish streets, it reminds me alot of and old Australian country town, very different to what we have experiences so far in Baja with the wide open spaces and dust everywhere. There is a pretty big looking mining operation just on the outskirts of town and a port so its not the cleanest looking city but it really does have a character all of its own. We got a decent hotel and headed out for dinner in the local cafe which was nice enough, then we ventured along the main drag and into the back street and found a bar to have a few beers. Was sort of getting latish so called it and headed back to the hotel.

Heading out for a walk around town looking for food for dinner

The main drag of Santa Rosaria

Dinner is served

We were relaxing in the room with the door open and this guys comes to out door jibbering in Spanish Im going what the F*&k does this guy want he sounded pissed and he might of been but it turns out he was from the hotel and was trying to tell us we have to move our bikes to higher ground as there might a flash flood here tonight. The police had come around and had been telling everyone to get theres cars off the main drag. As he is explaining it to Mariane who can speak pretty good Spanish Ev was watching TV and down south there was people walking in waist deep water on the news, oh well looks like we found the tropical storm.

I looked on the satelite radar and it is due to come across landfall not far south of us around 11 tonight and after checking out how this road was built with canal walls along the side of it i can see where the water runs off around here, let the fun begin.

We moved the bikes over to the park across the road and then then the heavans opened up, the others were tired but me and Andre were keen to see the action so we sat up and jibbered on for a few hours and watched as the road started to rise with water. One of the local guys who was trying to move his car couldnt get it started so I headed over to help and with a push and a shove we clutch started it and off up the road he went waving out the window through the flooded road water going everywhere happy that his car was out of the rising water and out of danger from anything more severe, In the end and fortunately for the locals the flash floods didnt come it only got as high as the gutter so all good.

Woke up the next morning and the town was on the dry

Breakfast anyone

Santa Rosaria

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 01:34 AM
Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #1400
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We woke up in the morning the bikes were all safe there hadnt been that much rain so the roads were all good, I had been warned about further south by David here on Advrider that the roads south of here are prone to being washed out and impasable but we didnt let that stop us from having a go.

The scenery around here is pretty damn nice.

We hadnt travelled far when we came across our fist water crossing, the road was gone but the water running across the road was only 6 inches deep or so it looked. We all stopped and I thought it didnt look to bad so broom broom off i go with Ev on the back only to hit deep gravel and down the bike starts to sink. I stopped and put Ev off beofre I got stuck and then slowly rode myself out of trouble. Ev had the nikon camera over her shoulder so I wasnt game to put it on its side and wet the camera it was easier with wet feet. I parked the bike there is no way Mariane is going to get across this one so I walked back through and asked if she would like me to ride it across for her and as you can imagine wshe was more than happy to give it to me. A little later we are all across and off down the road to the next one.

This time I stopped next to Mariane and said to mariane would you like to have a go at this one yourself it doesnt look so bad, so ok she was going to try. She didnt get 10 feet hit the loose gravel and down she went crashing to the ground, ok that wasnt such a wise idea but she gave it a go and was ok so all good. We picked the bike helped by and American guy Doug who had come up behind us and then pulled it to the side and after a few minutes it restarted and this time Andre rode it across for her.

Me sharing a laugh with our new friend Doug from LA while Edwin tries to restart Marians Vstrom

The worst was behind us from now on and we breezed through a few more with Marian gaining in confidence every time.

Doug breezing through another on his Gs1200

The Dutch crew and Doug the American after one of the small final crossings

All on the other side and after a quick chat to Doug and we were on the road again towards Loretto. We came across a few more water crossings but the worst was behind us and the rest were no problem at all. I had been told to stay at Malege so we stopped there for lunch, it was like being back in Mororco or along the Nile River in Egypt, palm trees lined the road and along the inlet to the waterway running near the town, it really was very pretty. After stopping for a little while it was back on the road towards Loretto.

Melega

We arrived in the outskirts of Loretto and stopped for a bit to eat and an expat yank came over and said hello and gave us a tip on a nice hotel down the road so we jumped back on and went off in search of it. It was a nice place 50 bucks a night for a pretty much self contained apartment somewhere you could actually get real comfortable in if you were going to spend time here. Ev and I did contemplate it but we have decided to ride with the guys south for a little while longer they are a great crew and we all get on great.

We headed down to town for dinner and found a nice little restaurant on the waterfront but only had a beer there as the prices where a little expensive so walked up into the main area of town and found a little place to eat. The centre of Loretto is really quite pretty I like it here and the town itself is quite different to the dry dusty places further up north.

Downtown Loretto

Buy a dinner plate and dinner in one spot here

Loretto Baja

By the smell of these puddles I'm guessing it wasn't only rain water flowing around in the streets of Loretto

Doug in Loretto

The new crew in Loretto, it's always nice to meet good people and these guys are great to hang out with for awhile.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 01:56 AM
Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #1401
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

It was my birthday today so Ev let me sleep in a bit but when I headed out of the room I found printed copies of my picture pasted around the hotel with happy birthday on them. After catching up with the guys and having a laugh we headed out for breakfast and the guys had bought me a birthday cake as well so it was a really nice way to start the day mmmmm cake for breakfast right up my alley. Cheer guys and thanks sweetheart.

The ride to La Paz is 360km we werent ure how many times we may be stopped by water crossings as this was the region the storm crossed the other night but the first 100k's from Loretto is up through the hills and such a nice ride with no sort of water issues. The beaches are beautiful along this part of the coast.

It is beautiful around here.

The road then turns inland and becomes flat try and long again and the last 250k's is flat boring riding. My back and neck were giving me quite a bit of grief today and at one point I pulled up next to Phil and he shouted I could do with a massage and I said, ive been getting one for the last 10 minutes maybe he saw Ev's hands on my neck. The funny thing when I get a neck rub off Ev whle im riding it puts me to sleep not the wisest thing to do.

We stopped for petrol and a drink and came across this young Aussie guy from my home town in Byron Bay riding down to Chile, we later caught up to him in La Paz and you wouldn't believe it he had left Tijuana without his tourist card and unless he can find someone really really nice over at the airport he will have to ride the 1500k's back to Tijuana to get it, its one thing that gets a lot of people down here they cant get on the ferry to mainland Mexico without it, I haven't seen or heard from him again so I can only hope he had some luck with it in La Paz its a damn long way back just for a 5 minute thing.

Left to right Me Phil Andre Doug and Edwin chillaxing out of the sun.

Whose the boss now big boy

As we neared La Paz we were all getting pretty hungry and thirsty so we decided to stop for a quick bite to eat and drink in this little roadside café.

Ev making some trucky mates just in case I dump her on the side of the highway

Ewa practicing up on her Espanyol

They probably don't get to many tourists stopping here as its only 30 k's to La Paz so basically most people would just get into town or pass it by when they leave which is a shame they are a really nice friendly family and we had a lot longer break than we were expecting to when we first pulled up. I think we all enjoyed it, Ewa said the old guy reminded her of her dad.

Crack a smile big fella it doesn't hurt

We arrived in La Paz and it really it's much bigger than all the others and it is just beauitful. We went and had a drink whle Phil went in search of a cheaper hotel somewhere after getting a price he wasnt really happy with, there was a few right on the waterfront for 70 bucks with secure parking so in the end that's where we are.

Ev and enjoying a mango smoothy while we waited for Phil

We headed out to dinner and had a beautiful dinner meeting a crew of fellow travellers who we had stopped and chatted with this afternoon, Johnny was from Colorado and had ridden down through Copper Canyon which sounded great a little hair raising but amazing all the same. He told me that I shoudl ride the Devil's Spine over from Matzalan which I will do that when we get over to the mainland. Yeull was from San Francisco and has plenty of bikes and is looking to maybe swap his bike here in the states for someone over in Oz for a few week tour, He was with an Italian guy who I didnt get much of a chance to chat to throughout dinner and the night.

All in all a fantastic way to spend my birthday with a great crew of people and on my bike riding, just perfect.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 10:03 PM
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #1402
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Arriving La Paz

The happy couple enjoying the sunset in La Paz, hang on a damn minute that isn't me, that's Doug in this photo with Ev, oh well they do look like a happy couple all the same who am I to stand in the way, it was only a matter of time before she traded up

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 10:35 PM
Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #1403
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today the crew were up and packing, they were leaving today for Maztalan on the mainland, we were going to see them off at the ferry but after drinking myself stupid last night I thought ill just say my goodbyes here, well that was the intention anyway. 15 minutes after they left the owner of the hotel came out and said they had forgotten their deposit and could we ring them but with no phone I thought it will be just easier for me to ride out to the ferry and give it to them its only 15 k's away. In the end we came across Phil who had turned around after reaslising he had forgotten his money so all good. Since we were on the road and pretty much out at the port we thought we might as well head out with them to say goodbye and pickup our tempory import permit for the bike.

The permit took a little while, the girl was quering my photocopied paperwork but as I have no originals since they were stolen in the Czech Republic I pulled out the Czech police report and explained my situation and ok no dramas, photocopy this photocopy that and it was done. In hindsight I'd actrually suggest if you dont like giving your original ownership papers out go to a forign country where they have totally different language and just report them stolen get a police report in that language and you are set. It's worked for me twice now and im sure it will work everywhere i go i just point to some word on the page I dont even know what it means and say that is my ownership papers there, lol one day ill come across a Czech Japenese border guard probably.

We came back into town aftersaying our goodbyes again the crew what a great few days we have had with them what a nice bunch of people, it was afternoon by now and just relaxed then headed down to Katarinas for dinner with Johnny and Doug. I had the big chicken again it was bloody lush. We had a really nice evening chatting and having a few drinks. Doug called a night early he still had another days diving to go and had to be up early me Johnny and Ev hung around till around midnight then called it ourselves. Great company and nice evening again La Paz is really a beautiful friendly town.

The sunsets here in La Paz are pretty nice when there is a few clouds around.

Three motorcycle adventures riding around Mexico taking time out, oh ok I'm a pussy riding with a girl now but hey give me a break they have only been on the road for a week or two I got scared and lonely
Look at the faces it doesn't look like we are regretting the decision to ride around Baja does it

Dinner time at Katarina's here in La Paz

Andre's turn for the temporary import permit you do it at the ferry terminal its all done at the ferry terminal but word of warning MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR TOURIST CARD AVAILABLE ONLY IN TIJUANA OR ENSANAD OR YOU WANT BE GOING ON THE FERRY AND HAVE TO RIDE THE 1500 K'S BACK. I know no need to shout but if it helps ne person then its worth it. The girl at the desk said you may be able to get it at the airport if anyone gets down here without it but only maybe don't back on getting it there it's along way back if they say no.

The La Paz to Matzalan ferry.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 10:07 PM
Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #1404
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We met Johnny down the road for breakfast this morning and we decided that were goign to go snorkling so we rode out to the other side of La Paz to where we were told you can go from, the beaches out there are beautiful white sand blue water really very nice. The snorkling from out there was a full days boat ride and included lunch and swimming with the seal colony on the otherside of the island but I had wanted to swim with the whale sharks and those tours ran from over in town, they said you are never garunteed to see them as per normal with any wild creature, of course.

We made the decision to take a chance, Doug had seen a baby whale shark yesterday about 10 foot long and only for a second so I joked to him it will be just my luck you go diving and wont see them and ill go out and see half a dozen well watch the video below and see what eventuated.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 10:21 PM
Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #1405
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We all met up and had brakfast together Johnny was hitting the road home today so it was nice to catch up with after sharing such a great experience together yesterday. He has a great ride and still has 8 days and lots more adventures till he gets home to Colorado. Doug was relaxing today after a few full days of diving so he headed down the beach to read a book and I came back to blog and chillax. Eva went for a walk around town and did a bit of window shopping, its the first time actually in months she has felt really safe and free to go walk anywhere by herself. I know the places we have been are probably all safe but when you come to a new city anywhere it always takes a few days to adjust and we never know if we are in a good area or a bad area so for her to just walk off by herself is always a little bit intimidating but she feels fine here so it shows how easygoing and safe it is here down here in southern Baja.

After a really realaxing day Doug came over and we all headed off down for a walk along the waterfront and have a few beers. In the end we ended up back in Katarina's for dinner as the food there is really pretty good. After dinner we headed off back down the road to find another bar for a drink and hung out for awhile then said our goodbyes to Doug and me and Ev went for a nice stroll along the waterfront ahhhhh the romantic I am I know, hey there was some hot chicks hanging around being a Saturday night, any excuse for a perve.

Hey Ev look at the sign for the Hotel Perla it looks nice maybe we can move there honey

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 10:36 PM
Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #1406
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today we decided to go for a ride around town to see all the other sites here in La Paz so on the bikes we got after lunch and headed off just riding aimlessly around town. Its not a huge town by any stretch of the imagination probably about say 5 to 10 k's from one side to the other but there is plenty of nice beaches on the northern side which we rode to and hung out for awhile. It was a Sunday so there was some off road racing going on which was cool to sit and watch for awhile, one of the trucks was absolutely flying along leaving everyone else in his dust was great to see. After watchign that for awhile we turned off into the back streets to see how the real world operated down in amounst it, was pretty nice actually not mansions by any means but all the house were pretty nicely painted and maintained, One place we came across was a fortress they obviously didnt want anyone strolling in their front door.

No one is coming in this door in a hurry.

I can see myself sitting on the porch enjoying a sunny afternoon beverage watching the turf wars from the safety of my own compound.

While riding around town today we saw a hot chick changing the oil in her truck and this girl playing with her remote control car down the water front, I think I like La Paz.

While in Baja you just have to see some off road racing don't you.

So we stopped for a awhile to watch the racing, I can hear the conversation going on from here, "Oh baby let me give you the gun show, Oh yes GI Joe do give me the show I like the big guns soooo much.

I can fight fire with fire here

It was a pretty nice day all round, good company with Doug he seems like a pretty chilled guy, we are going to go do some off roading with him over the next few days and down to a marine reserve down the coast where he wanted to dive some more.

I know I can hear you, take it easy Sheldon don't do it to hard, look I'm trying but its a dirty job someone has to do it and I've never been shy to get my hands dirty.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 09:12 PM
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #1407
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Hey nice reports Sheldon, the terracotta house looked awesome and some of the scenery quite special....especially hotel Perla
But btw there weren't quite enough candles on the cake me thinks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mettalique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #1408
mauriceke666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
happy birthday

happy birthday and an other year on the road....

safe miles and kilometers...

Mories
mauriceke666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #1409
afewsketchymoments
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
The Aussie guy.

"We stopped for petrol and a drink and came across this young Aussie guy from my home town in Byron Bay riding down to Chile, we later caught up to him in La Paz and you wouldn't believe it he had left Tijuana without his tourist card and unless he can find someone really really nice over at the airport he will have to ride the 1500k's back to Tijuana to get it, its one thing that gets a lot of people down here they cant get on the ferry to mainland Mexico without it, I haven't seen or heard from him again so I can only hope he had some luck with it in La Paz its a damn long way back just for a 5 minute thing."

Hey Mate.
Matt here, that young Aussie guy.
Was a bit of a paper fight. But got the tourist card in the end.
Made it to Mainland and sweating up a storm. Humid as hell down here.
Meet a couple in La Paz with the same problem as me. But one of them also did not have the original paper work for her bike. If only she knew of your little trick. Think she may have flown back to San Diego to get the original title.
Hope to bump into you guys again.
Enjoy the ride.
Matt.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #1410
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by afewsketchymoments View Post
"We stopped for petrol and a drink and came across this young Aussie guy from my home town in Byron Bay riding down to Chile, we later caught up to him in La Paz and you wouldn't believe it he had left Tijuana without his tourist card and unless he can find someone really really nice over at the airport he will have to ride the 1500k's back to Tijuana to get it, its one thing that gets a lot of people down here they cant get on the ferry to mainland Mexico without it, I haven't seen or heard from him again so I can only hope he had some luck with it in La Paz its a damn long way back just for a 5 minute thing."

Hey Mate.
Matt here, that young Aussie guy.
Was a bit of a paper fight. But got the tourist card in the end.
Made it to Mainland and sweating up a storm. Humid as hell down here.
Meet a couple in La Paz with the same problem as me. But one of them also did not have the original paper work for her bike. If only she knew of your little trick. Think she may have flown back to San Diego to get the original title.
Hope to bump into you guys again.
Enjoy the ride.
Matt.

Great to hear from you Matt, I was only talking to Ev this morning about you and that we never heard anything so it's great you were able to get it sorted. We are still in Baja staying in some marine resort down the coast from La Paz just chilling out, had some fun riding over the last few days.
Ride safely bud and maybe our paths will cross somewhere along the line again.