Oddometer: 1,780
Now you dont....
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #1592
640 Armageddon
-oo-

And.... now you see it again

Test was conducted outside of the lab... Shoes: Asics, size 44 . Male Caucasian, height approx. 1.95 Weight approx 90 kg. (not me , I was holding the camera )
We got some pretty weird looks at the time but the high speed cameras work better with natural light. ...
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #1593
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 801
Very interesting developments.

Bill the Bong screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 11:58 PM
Bill the Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #1594
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
... and my foot and hand hit 11.1g and broke. You might have to find a different test dummy for more of those crash tests mate!

EDIT: Just watching that torture test again Dimitri, and I can't get over how there is no vibration and movement on the paper when riding and reading over rough terrain. It was one of the comments I made of an unexpected benefit that the paper stays so still and becomes so much easier to read than the MD unit. Yet it is obviously capable of so much movement. Be interesting to have a high speed camera video the Mark1 scroll during riding rough terrain and comparing it with an MD. Maybe an impossible test to conduct.
I think this is a great piont Jaybo, the vibration factor is a pain when trying to read the map, i would love to have a better system here. it will make speed and safety.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #1595
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 495
Someone remember when all those things popped up here?

Look what I just stumbled upon....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roadbook-R...item4aca95ce88

Seems like someone picked up the idea and really started producing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier View Post
These things are poping up all over the place, what could they be?
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #1596
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
haha and a video to go with it

+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #1597
ROKIT_71
Going Orange

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
Someone remember when all those things popped up here?

Look what I just stumbled upon....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roadbook-R...item4aca95ce88

Seems like someone picked up the idea and really started producing them
Well done good find!

Thank you.
ROKIT_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #1598
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,873
So I've been having issues w/ my ICO lately. It would blink and then lock up requiring me to dismount it from the nav tower and remove the batteries in order to re-set it, loosing my mileage up to that point. Not optimal during a nav ride.

I sent it in to ICO for warranty repairs ad here is the reply I got:

We have received your Dual Sport repair, and this is your repair estimate.

The issue that you have seen with your instrument is related to a small software bug in the instrument's programming. At this time we do not have a patch to update your instrument in order to fix the problem, but I do have some measures that you can take to lower the chances of your instrument freezing or resetting.

1) From our experience, the lock up issue happens when manually counting down a large amount of the mileage on the odometer (more than 8 miles on hundredths display). To lessen the chances of the instrument resetting, only decrement mileage in bursts smaller than 5 miles total when using the hundredths display mode (xx.xx on the LCD). After each burst, wait a couple seconds for the computer to finish its processes before beginning another burst.

2) Change the instrument to tenths display mode (xxx.x on the LCD) before decrementing large distances. Because the instrument has difficulty keeping track of steady decrementing over a number of digits, not miles, you can safely decrement 10 times as many miles when running xxx.x than you can on xx.xx; but remember to not decrement over 50 miles on xxx.x

3) If you need to decrement a large number of miles, consider resetting your instrument's odometer and incrementing from zero to reach the desired number, rather than decrementing from your current mileage. In our experience, the software bug does not show up when incrementing any distance, meaning this is a safer bet for large odometer mileage changes.

4) If you are still having issues with your instrument resetting, you may want to consider taking out the internal batteries and running solely on the bike's 12v power. This will make resetting your instrument much quicker and easier.

Other than the resetting issue that I described above, I was not able to find any issues with your instrument. We apologize for your inconvenience, and will ship your instrument back to you at our expense since we cannot fix the issue at present. If you are still having issues with your instrument after trying the above suggestions, or if your instrument locks up frequently when not decrementing the odometer, please contact us via this email address and we will work with you to get the problem resolved for you. We will ship your instrument out of our facility today, ground shipping should have the instrument back to you by the end of the week. You will not be charged for diagnostics or return shipping on this repair.

Thank You
Ben Horarik
ICO Racing
Repair Department

Not the response I was looking for. Specially when I was not dialing the ICO back when the issue occurred.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #1599
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Not the response I was looking for.
I had the issue on my Rallye VR Light several years ago. At that time, then didn't even reply to my request for a fix. I used Option #4 to work around the issue. But since they don't stand behind their product, I now buy Tony's superior unit instead:
http://rallymanagementservices.com/c.../tripmaster-xl
http://www.rallyenavigationsolutions...uct-7183543793

The reason they can't fix an existing unit is because it's a firmware bug. The firmware is burned into the processor chip inside the unit. There are no provisions to update that firmware, so the only fix is to replace the unit.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #1600
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
please contact us via this email address and we will work with you to get the problem resolved for you.
Have you contacted your dealer? I don't sell the Dual Sport models, but as a dealer I have been very successful at working with ICO to repair or replace defective units for my customers.

Also, looking at the quote, they left the door open for replacement. I think you just have to ask one more time. Not my style of customer service, but pretty common these days.

Dave
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #1601
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,873
I sent them a follow up e-mail expressing my concerns and dissatisfaction with their reply and this is the response I got..........get ready to put your tin foil caps on.

Another issue that can come up with instruments used for motor sports is interference from electrical "white noise"; many components on dirt bikes produce this noise (such as the stater, starter, alternator, headlight, etc.). If not properly isolated and insulated, this noise can travel through the handlebars, forks, and frame of the bike, and may be picked up by the three wires attached to the instrument. It can be nearly impossible to find a white noise "leak", so we rather recommend that aluminum foil be tightly wrapped around the wires anywhere they contact a metal bike component, with 2" of overlap on each side. Normally the Dual Sport holds up pretty well against white noise, but a large amount of it, or just unfortunate timing of voltage bursts can get the better of the CPU. I would recommend this approach for your instrument since you were having issues separate from the problem that we knew of. I ran the instrument through all pre-sale tests, and did not find any other issues at all.

Again, sorry for your inconvenience, and we hope that the Dual Sport works reliably with these suggestions.

Thank You
Ben Horarik
ICO Racing
Repair Department

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the cables already internally shielded with foil?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #1602
grimmboy
Chris Grimm

Oddometer: 867
WTFITBS....

Enjoy the weekend, Grimmy
grimmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #1603
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Interesting setup and even more interesting roadbook holder ...

Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #1604
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Nice integrated set up!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #1605
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
*splashed under my desk on that*

Detailed BMW X-Challenge build thread.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
F-ing in Iceland and Faroe Islands, 2013.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote