User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #196
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,734
That's a bit of setback...

I hope everything turns out well and as Gany said, ask around, may be post on FB as well and send a couple of e-mails to the right people, they may be able to find someone to transfer the support. If it is transferable that is...

Good luck JB and have a speedy recovery
Old 10-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #197
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,631
Quite clear confirmation from the ASO this morning:
"Unfortunately, we cannot defer your service crew entry to 2015 Dakar."

So I'm out by AU$12.3k. Funny thing is, I'm only caught out because I paid early to get the cheaper rate. If I hadn't paid early, the payment would be required about now but would be a few thousand more, but I could avoid paying it.

I won't complain though because the rules are quite clear that withdrawing your entry after 1st Oct means you forfeit the full entry fee. It is only for exceptional circumstance that they are agreeing to defer my entry.

I'm good with it. besides, I have a full year to find a sponsor to help with absorbing the AU$12.3k.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #198
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,717
YEAH 2015!! I dunno why i feel like somebody should be able to buy that spot from you, but obviously I'm not thinking of it correctly.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #199
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
I'm good with it. besides, I have a full year to find a sponsor to help with absorbing the AU$12.3k.
It also puts you in the nice position of having a certain spot in the Dakar over a year out, most people (like you this year) would only have the time from when the entries are announced to get organised.
michael1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #200
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 145
John,

I'm really sorry to hear about all your trouble, this is incredibly frustrating and I'm sure the financial side is actually not where it hurts most.

Get well soon and I hope I'll catch you next year at the Safari.

hg

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #201
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement.
An update on things. I went for my post surgery check with the orthopaedic surgeon today.

The hand: Making excellent progress here. The surgeon asked me how much of a fist I can make and I proceeded to make a full, tight fist. The look on his face was genuine surprise and his reaction was "Wow, that's amazing"! He said it was a "complicated injury" and the surgery was "difficult", so is truly amazed at how quickly it is healing. I thank his skill and the hand therapist for this. So the splint can come off, other to protect it from being bumped in public and for any lifting or manual work. I can also start with scar massage treatment, which will help the finger movement. I can make a fist after a few attempts but am unable to fully straighten the middle finger at the moment. Early days though so I am very confident it will fully heal well with full movement as I continue with the exercise routine I have been set.

The foot: The moon-boot has to stay on for at least another 2 weeks but I do have the okay to start weight bearing on the foot. This means I can ditch the crutches. I can also start some slight movement of the ankle. He stated it's an unusual fracture that will need a healing treatment for a fracture and a sprain. Of course the two treatments are opposite, with the fracture treatment being to immobilise it and the sprain treatment being to get the ankle moving to promote reduction of the swelling. (I still don't have much of an ankle due to the swelling). So I immobilise it during the working day by keeping it in the moon-boot and get some movement happening by gentle movements when at home relaxing. As we all know, soft tissue damage is far more difficult to heal from and generally takes longer than recovering from a clean fracture.

Other than that, I am still in communication with the ASO regarding options for my service crew entry and am hopeful for a better financial outcome.

The first of the "upgraded" Tee shirts goes out the door tomorrow. Check it out!!!

Ciao
JayBo
Old 10-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #202
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just posted this on my face-book page.

Some great news! The ASO have agreed that I can change the name of the Service Crew entry and therefore "pass" it on to someone else.

So I contacted Shane Diener, the winner of the Dakar Challenge at the Australasian Safari 2013, and we discussed his plans for service crew. The result is one of his crew will become the service crew spot I pre-paid for at the early bird rates. This saves Shane several thousand dollars (8,700 Euro for my entry versus 12,400 Euro he was facing as a late service crew entry) and means I get back from Shane what I paid and get to spend it again next year to get Ben Clark heading to the Dakar with me next year. Yaaaaay!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #203
Koos
Wheeled Wanderer

Oddometer: 214
Great news!

Awesome, clawing back some of the $$$$

How do I get a T shirt? I'll take it along on the Dakar-tag-along-on-a- shoestring we are doing in Jan.

DR650....well equipped
The Grey Mare "flying brickette" '96 BMW K75 RT......love that bike!
F 800 GS [Sold] - the bike the GS was always intended to be
Koos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #204
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
And sense prevails. Good on ASO

Awesome John, now heal up Squire and get ready for 2015

Quote:

Some great news! The ASO have agreed that I can change the name of the Service Crew entry and therefore "pass" it on to someone else.

So I contacted Shane Diener, the winner of the Dakar Challenge at the Australasian Safari 2013, and we discussed his plans for service crew. The result is one of his crew will become the service crew spot I pre-paid for at the early bird rates. This saves Shane several thousand dollars (8,700 Euro for my entry versus 12,400 Euro he was facing as a late service crew entry) and means I get back from Shane what I paid and get to spend it again next year to get Ben Clark heading to the Dakar with me next year. Yaaaaay!!!
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #205
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koos View Post
Awesome, clawing back some of the $$$$

How do I get a T shirt? I'll take it along on the Dakar-tag-along-on-a- shoestring we are doing in Jan.
Best bet for buying a Tee Shirt is to send me a PM with the size you want, contact phone number, real name and email address. I'll then either email you a Paypal request for payment or, for locals, I'll ring you and we can arrange a delivery/pickup and cash.
I tested the Paypal option on my sister, and she said it was eezy peazy to set up to make the payment.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #206
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,158
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #207
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,061
Squeaky bum time is over and you can do the recovery thing properly
Old 10-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #208
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
This is great news John Srart prepping the landy now eh.

GO BRO GO.......
topo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #209
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
This is great news John Start prepping the landy now eh.
Heh heh, I hadn't thought about that for my second chance. You still fancy driving the Landy around the Andes? You're even more stupid than me ... I don't have a choice.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #210
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,081
Quote:

That is fantastic news - congratulations!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote