Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #7201
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyr View Post
OTOH, I listened to one Harley rider explaining to another one that horizontally opposed engines would cause too much vibration.
The first time I rode a boxer, I said to myself "who the f*ck designs a bike with torque steer?"

I still want one.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #7202
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Or... thumbs up, because there's another person that likes to ride a motorcycle.
That was pretty much my thought -- something along the lines of "Ride more! Have fun!"

Couldn't think of anything articulate to holler back that fast, though.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #7203
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
I love being told by bmw guys how great their bikes are...

10/ As I notice how few miles are on their odometer, (beneath the factory clear plastic cover they don't want to pull off to keep the dial from getting scratched).

9/ When they tell me in September, "I'm putting it away after today for the winter."

8/ As their side-stand sinks into the Starbuck's parking lot asphalt after their five minute ride - and two hour wait for a compliment.

7/ While I comb back and braid the rubber tits from the edge of their chicken strips.

6/ When they tell me, "it's just like the one 007 rode!"

5/ When an elderly onlooker asks, "Isn't that the same engine they used in the Corvair?"

4/ When everyone walks past it to check out my ' 90 RZ350.

3/ When they brag about great their "snobbies" performed as they rode their GS through "this incredible mud puddle."

2/ When they tell me how nimble their 650 pound RT is...

And finally...

!/ When I have to excuse myself to answer questions being asked by the crowd standing around my Harley.
May I quote this whole post? Good.

I work with a guy who owns a GS that is stored in some south American country. He constantly tells me how great it is, how it's really the bike I'm after (instead of my DR650), and on, and on, and on.

In this country he has a very shiny & clean CBR600 sport bike. He does ride it to work on occasion, and on a very rare occasion to Miami or Fort Lauderdale to meet other sport bikers, but doesn't even own a leather jacket - let alone race or riding leathers. He does have gloves and a helmet, but that's it. (Qualifier here - I most certainly did have, and regularly wear, Dainese leathers when I rode my ZX-7R, hard, in and around western PA... not for looks, but simply because I knew how far I was pushing it, and knew what would happen in a get-off. I also went to track days with the bike, but don't expect everyone to.)

In the year I've known him he's never taken it out for a track day, and has never gone on a trip with it. Okay, in some states that's still okay since in daily riding they have roads to at least use a sport bike on... but we just don't. We have the most straight network of roads one can imagine, and of all the bikes I've owned, only the UJM's would allow me the upright position to have my head on a swivel like this DR650 that I use for commuting, for exploring, and for fun.

Nothing he's done, save for a story of riding his GS through central American countries, seems to indicate I should take him seriously at all - especially not the sport bike riding friends he keeps that are the definition of squids - yet he's the most vocal opponent of me just enjoying my motorcycle. He makes it known to everyone we work with, and some dumb asses who don't ride and who don't know shit have sided with him about what bike they want to see me on. (Only two years ago I rode over 22,000 miles in a year simply commuting on bikes, and have now owned seemingly all types of bikes out there.)

This, then, is my current observation of a large cubic-centimeter GS rider. He. and they, are people trying to buy themselves out of squid-ness, or attempting to buy respect as a rider.

If you have class, experience and money - you'd choose something other than a GS (Stelvio, anyone?). If you're grabbing for an image laid down by the moniker and by media that came before you - you choose the BMW.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #7204
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Yeah, but I like to eat apple pie. That doesn't mean I scream out "I eat apple pie!" from a moving car every time I pass the local bakery.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
No, probably not, but you made me chuckle at the image of it.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #7205
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
Well it started not exactly when stopped, but it ended while stopped for sure.

I was riding past a parking garage that has a lane that merges with the main road. So anybody leaving there, is changing lanes so they have to give right of way to the main road. Just as I was passing there this lady in her shiny new black Merc, talking to her passenger and never looking at the lane she was merging with, turned on her signal and drove into my lane, forcing me almost of the road.
At the next light I was beside her, she had her window open, I said, didn't you see me? She said: "Well I had my signal on, so I could go" As I was quite pissed my answer was: Well you stupid cow, putting on your signal, doesn't mean you have the right of way.
She didn't like me so much after that :)
That's somewhere between really scary and sort of funny.
C/1/509 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #7206
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,502
So i take the Husky up to the grocery store for a few dinner essentials. As I walk out, some flat billed squid is oogling my "super moto." Really, it is a TR650 on K60s, but I'll be nice. Conversation went alike this.

Dude: Yo, is this your bike?
Me: Yep.
Dude: This thing is sick!
Me: (suiting up) Thanks.
Dude: What did it take to import it?
Me: (confused) Uhhh, I don't know. Whatever dealers normally do.
Dude: Whoa, there's a dealer for these?
Me: Uhhhh, yeah.....several. I've got to get going. Have a nice day.

As I put my helmet on, I hear him walk up to his buddy and say "That dude has a bike made in Australia!"

I couldn't figure out why the hell he said that. Then, when I got to my next stop, I saw this on the inside of my Barkbusters....

Made in Australia

Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #7207
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
So i take the Husky up to the grocery store for a few dinner essentials. As I walk out, some flat billed squid is oogling my "super moto." Really, it is a TR650 on K60s, but I'll be nice. Conversation went alike this.

Dude: Yo, is this your bike?
Me: Yep.
Dude: This thing is sick!
Me: (suiting up) Thanks.
Dude: What did it take to import it?
Me: (confused) Uhhh, I don't know. Whatever dealers normally do.
Dude: Whoa, there's a dealer for these?
Me: Uhhhh, yeah.....several. I've got to get going. Have a nice day.

As I put my helmet on, I hear him walk up to his buddy and say "That dude has a bike made in Australia!"

I couldn't figure out why the hell he said that. Then, when I got to my next stop, I saw this on the inside of my Barkbusters....

Made in Australia

Oh hell, put another shrimp on the barbee!
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #7208
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post

I'll never hear "Wow, that bike is fast AND can handle the corners great! Too bad I can't throw this 1000 lbs of steel and chrome into corners like that".
and you never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
The first time I rode a boxer, I said to myself "who the f*ck designs a bike with torque steer?"

I still want one.
I just bought one. Its SWEET!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #7209
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
[QUOTE=Mambo Dave;22628460]..... He makes it known to everyone we work with, and some dumb asses who don't ride and who don't know shit have sided with him about what bike they want to see me on.... QUOTE]

They should pool their money and buy you THAT bike then!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #7210
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

This, then, is my current observation of a large cubic-centimeter GS rider. He. and they, are people trying to buy themselves out of squid-ness, or attempting to buy respect as a rider.

If you have class, experience and money - you'd choose something other than a GS (Stelvio, anyone?). If you're grabbing for an image laid down by the moniker and by media that came before you - you choose the BMW.
So you base your ignorant beliefs off one idiot who may or may not even own said BMW?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #7211
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,806
Mambo Dave - I just want to relay an experience I had this summer in AK. In Tok I met a guy on a 12GS with the full klim get up. I thought "oh, here we go" when he pulled next to me but we started talking weather, routes and plans and it turned out the guy was a genuine rider out for adventure, literally ready to spend a month on the road.

I on the other hand was the holiday traveler. Complete with my airline checked bag strapped on top of the side cases of my rental 8GS.

My point being, around town you will always find posers, but get out in the good stuff and you will find like minded individuals.

I will also say I did very little "off road" riding but did ride many miles of gravel. The stuff most people call dirt riding is smoother than my neighbors driveway.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #7212
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I was getting off my bike at my local bank when a lady walking to her car chimes in "That looks a lot more fun then this thing" I look at her car and it is a CL AMG 63.

I laughed and said, "I don't know that car can handle quite a lot. If you really want we could trade."

"I appreciate the offer but I worked too hard for this."

I'm not surprised... It still had dealer plate and my bike is worth 1/20th of what her car costs.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #7213
wyobohunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Mambo Dave - I just want to relay an experience I had this summer in AK. In Tok I met a guy on a 12GS with the full klim get up. I thought "oh, here we go" when he pulled next to me but we started talking weather, routes and plans and it turned out the guy was a genuine rider out for adventure, literally ready to spend a month on the road.

I on the other hand was the holiday traveler. Complete with my airline checked bag strapped on top of the side cases of my rental 8GS.

My point being, around town you will always find posers, but get out in the good stuff and you will find like minded individuals.

I will also say I did very little "off road" riding but did ride many miles of gravel. The stuff most people call dirt riding is smoother than my neighbors driveway.
Yes, and though I've met my fair share of "posers" on all makes... I've met a few Harley's where they should not be. Ride on friends.
wyobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #7214
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,035
there were more than a few harleys and big GSs on top when I was up on Stelvio. wizth my baby GS.....

?????
Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #7215
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
So if you have "class, experience and money" you buy inferior things?

Explain this please.