Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #25066
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
You're educated enough to know about Pavlov's dog, but unable to differentiate between breaks and brakes?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #25067
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
This guy comes into the turn fine, sees the cop and INSTINCTIVELY hits the breaks which is the cause of this crash. I find that I INSTINCTIVELY hit the breaks everytime I see a cop too.

I go to the throttle.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #25068
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
Did you try to put a dog collar on it and go jogging with it on a leash?
Yeah but he kept banging his pecker on the ground...
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #25069
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
But here's the "funny" part and what it feels like the two of you fail to see in all this. Judging by the preceding seconds before the crash, the guy was NOT riding "out of control". I blame the cop purely from the standpoint that he picked a very dirty place to sit (mid-corner). This guy comes into the turn fine, sees the cop and INSTINCTIVELY hits the breaks which is the cause of this crash. I find that I INSTINCTIVELY hit the breaks everytime I see a cop too. To me this is a simple case of classical conditioning (see Pavlov's dog).

What I still find dirty in all this is the cops intent. If he's there to control speeding, WHY would he sit hidden at the APEX of the turn (slowest point). If he really wanted to control/enforce speeding, he should be positioned at a place whereby he could actually hit a rider with laser/radar before reaching his turn-in point. Please educate me on why this is a good place for a LEO to park unless looking to invoke the response that he got with a bike tucking the front end by touching the brakes?
funny...ive never seen a cop sitting mid corner during a track day....ride at the edge of your ability/knowledge on the public street..if you go down its your own fault...especially if you panic snatch at the front brake cause you see a cop.
the cop has no obligation to consider what some dumbass will do when they see him. He can park wherever he wants...that's just how it is.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #25070
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,272
Little cool (40 F) this morning but wanted to ride so...

Someone put a North Georgia Motorcycle Club cap on the cross that I put up on 143. Turns out the guy who crashed and died there was a member of that club.

Then on to Deal's Gap and the Dragon where I had a long
UDF (Ural Delay Factor). More cars in the parking lot than bikes.
Not much traffic on the run about half way across.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #25071
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 39,382
Quote:
Had a friend just trade in his KTM for a yellow 98 K1200RS.

That thing is an overcomplicated boat of a bike...

He got a "good deal" on it, until he realized how much parts cost and how many things actually needed to be replaced.

On the up side, it's got a nice flat torque curve and is smooth as silk.
I was surprised how close the gears are.
I logged over 150,000 miles between two K1200RS's. Great touring bike and surprising agile for a six hundred pound bike. Rock stead at 160mph indicated.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #25072
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla King View Post
I logged over 150,000 miles between two K1200RS's. Great touring bike and surprising agile for a six hundred pound bike. Rock stead at 160mph indicated.
Yeah, the weight's mostly down low, I threw it into some twisties up on Ceasar's Head with him trying to keep up on my Husky. It took a lot more pushing to get it down than I was used to, though

Of course, that's when it had the front brake master and the steering damper going out.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #25073
MattB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
You're educated enough to know about Pavlov's dog, but unable to differentiate between breaks and brakes?
I found that funny myself as I came back now and realized that proofreading would have been a good idea.

2000 Honda VFR :: 2002 BMW K1200RS :: 2008 Suzuki GSXR (Track) :: Honda CRF 70 (daughter) :: Honda CRF 80 (son) :: Honda CRF 150 (dad)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #25074
MattB
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I go to the throttle.
That sounds dangerous and unlawful.

My one riding buddy has been known to say, "When you see blue, drop two." Me, I'm not into all that, like to keep it at the speed limit and not a bit more.

2000 Honda VFR :: 2002 BMW K1200RS :: 2008 Suzuki GSXR (Track) :: Honda CRF 70 (daughter) :: Honda CRF 80 (son) :: Honda CRF 150 (dad)
Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #25075
MattB
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
funny...ive never seen a cop sitting mid corner during a track day....ride at the edge of your ability/knowledge on the public street..if you go down its your own fault...especially if you panic snatch at the front brake cause you see a cop.
the cop has no obligation to consider what some dumbass will do when they see him. He can park wherever he wants...that's just how it is.
My preferred riding is on the track as well, and your point is taken as far as when/where one should be pushing it.

That said, I still stand by my assessment that a cop sitting where he is on that video is not looking for anything good. Though you rant on, and state he can park anywhere he wants (which was not being debated), what WAS his point in sitting hidden at the apex? What public service was he hoping to accomplish?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #25076
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
My preferred riding is on the track as well, and your point is taken as far as when/where one should be pushing it.

That said, I still stand by my assessment that a cop sitting where he is on that video is not looking for anything good. Though you rant on, and state he can park anywhere he wants (which was not being debated), what WAS his point in sitting hidden at the apex? What public service was he hoping to accomplish?
Catching people crossing the double yellow maybe, like in one of the vids above?

And as in that video, he's not sitting on the apex, it just happens that you see him about the time you apex.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #25077
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,184
Quote:
Catching people crossing the double yellow maybe, like in one of the vids above?
+1

That, or he just got done with someone else crossing the yellow up above.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #25078
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
I find that I INSTINCTIVELY hit the breaks everytime I see a cop too.
To do that while cornering hard, you'd have to be an idiot and your instincts would make you a candidate for a Darwin award. Or to put it another way, if you would grab a handful of brake mid-corner and CRASH when you see a cop, your instincts suck.

Quote:
What I still find dirty in all this is the cops intent. If he's there to control speeding, WHY would he sit hidden at the APEX of the turn (slowest point).
Nothing "dirty" about the cop. Marked unit in plain sight. If it's like you say and it's the slowest point, if a rider is speeding there, then he's definitely speeding, so he is giving riders a break! You want the cop to stop in the middle of a long straight so that riders can see him from a long distance away and slow down before getting to the cop? Yeah, that's what you want.

Saying that a speed cop sitting where he can catch speeders is "dirty" is a whiny crybaby delicate little flower thing to say. The saying is "don't do the crime if you can't do the time", maybe there ought to be another one "don't do the crime if you'd crash when you realize someone saw you doing it". What's next, somebody who robbed a convenience store trying to sue the cops because when he ran outside there was a cop car and he was so surprised he tripped over a parking bumper and broke his face?

Really, if a cop seeing you speeding makes you crash, then you shouldn't be speeding. Maybe you shouldn't be riding.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #25079
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,529

203?

Rob VB- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #25080
Wisconsinkris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I thought kids needed to be able to flat foot the pegs to be able to ride...legally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post

203?

Rob VB- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wisconsinkris is offline   Reply With Quote