Oddometer: 4,255
log truck dump, rider fatality

RIP, damn
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/M...137/story.html
Old 10-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,565
Scariest thing on the road. Ever been hit by a chunk of bark? I have, just south of Forks, WA. Frickin near took my head off. I give these fuckers WIDE birth.

I know few buddies in West Van that age. Looks like a Hinckley Triumph Rocket 3, red. Nobody I know.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
They are everywhere over here on the Island - someone told me there were a couple hundred truck loads leaving the Cowichan Valley every day. A driver of a pick-up was killed last year as he was following a truck on the #18 highway - they figure a rock was stuck between the logging truck rear duellies and it got launched straight back through his windshield. His wife has the presence of mind to grab the wheel and coast it to the side of the road. They never did find the actual truck that did this. I tend to duck down below the level of my windscreen whenever they pass - I don't need a projectile coming my way.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
not good at all. I saw some on the biggest and overloaded looking trucks this weekend as I headed up to Slave Lake for the day.

Its a very sad situation all around.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

I don't think overloaded is the issue here. From the truck drivers I talked to down in the local tavern, it would seem that they are quite respectful of load limitations for public highways - my guess is that the weigh scales are very unforgiving to those who exceed their ratings. I watched one guy yanking off a log or two from his truck to get under his limitation - very ingenious he was. My guess is that highway speed is the biggest culprit - they get paid for what they haul, not by the hour so they haul ass to get those loads down to the sorting areas. Shifting loads don't help things either.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Shifting loads don't help things either.
Also an improperly loaded truck could help the load shift.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Seve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Also an improperly loaded truck could help the load shift.
That's one of, if not the biggest reason for load spills .... a truck that was not loaded properly.
Seve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
not good at all. I saw some on the biggest and overloaded looking trucks this weekend as I headed up to Slave Lake for the day.

Its a very sad situation all around.
Just because a truck looks overloaded doesn't mean that it is. Important to think rationally when talking about topics that generate an emotional response. Perception is everything.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,076
I swear those guys are trying to kill me, every time I meet one on a logging road.
Barely in control, going to beat hell.
Gotta be hyper-aware, at all times.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
I swear those guys are trying to kill me, every time I meet one on a logging road.
Barely in control, going to beat hell.
Gotta be hyper-aware, at all times.
no. not trying to kill you, just trying to earn a living. most of these guys get paid by the load, more loads, more money, which usually leads to more risk. it happens.

also you would be shocked how much weight these trucks are capable of hauling. they are rarely overloaded, but sometimes improperly loaded. i ALWAYS pull over and give right of weigh. you only get hit with a fist sized rock once to learn that lesson.
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 838
Trailers...

A bit off topic, but not really, be careful around boat trailers- especially ones with saltwater craft! Give lots of distance!

Me and my bro were riding out of Gold river towards Strathcona Park following a charter company truck with a triple axle boat trailer, and I started smelling an oily rubbery odor, next thing I know, a back wheel is leaning at 45 degrees! I back waay off, and start flashing my lights and honking to try and get his attention, to no avail....We approach the Strathcona Junction, and the wheel falls off, passes the truck, and unpredictably bounces through the intersection, into the bank, up 20 feet, back onto the road, then back into the ditch....Could have been really bad scene on that twisty road.

We stopped to see if the driver needed help, and he seemed to act like it happens to him all the time.... Maybe it does!

Be careful out there people!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Randaroo
Randaroo

Oddometer: 13
Wait for the facts...

Try this link for some of the info...
http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whi...16&storyPage=1
the portion of road that this occurred on is slow moving, typicaly, logging truck drivers don't blow through town like its NASCAR weekend.
the cyclist may play a part, the bunk trip mechanism may have played a part, the bundle cable could have played a part... we shall see, we shall see.
Lots of motorcyclists are clobbered by everyday drivers with all kinds of stupit reasons, phones, food, kids, booze...etc.
Truck drivers are typically way more aware of motorcyclists than the average ding-bat out there, but its up to us all to be vigilant, a chunk of bark in the mouth wouldn't taste good on any day.
Randaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
A bit off topic, but not really, be careful around boat trailers- especially ones with saltwater craft! Give lots of distance!

Me and my bro were riding out of Gold river towards Strathcona Park following a charter company truck with a triple axle boat trailer, and I started smelling an oily rubbery odor, next thing I know, a back wheel is leaning at 45 degrees! I back waay off, and start flashing my lights and honking to try and get his attention, to no avail....We approach the Strathcona Junction, and the wheel falls off, passes the truck, and unpredictably bounces through the intersection, into the bank, up 20 feet, back onto the road, then back into the ditch....Could have been really bad scene on that twisty road.
Same thing happened to me near Port Renfrew a few years ago. The truck/boat owner did notice my attempts to get his attention and pulled to the side of the road before the wheel actually departed his boat trailer. What a stink. He thanked me, unhooked his trailer and headed off to Victoria to get parts.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
HighwayChile OP
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,255
article, looks like he just was in wrong place and got it. RIP
http://www.whistlerquestion.com/arti...rious-8217-man