Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #61
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
I let my buddy take my KTM supermoto out for a ride.

He didn't tell me he had to switch to reserve, I found out later when i started sputtering and was reaching for the petcock.

I'm pretty stingy about rides on the KTM because of its touchy nature and the fact that it makes you want to ride like an idiot.

My other beater bikes, I am more willing to lend.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #62
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,024
I have a very short list of people I will trust with one of my bikes.

When I had a VX800, it was such an easy, friendly bike to ride that the list was a bit longer. The GS850, V-Strom, and KLR650 are all way too tall and top-heavy for n00bs.

If someone held a gun to my head and demanded that I loan them a bike, it would probably be the KLR650 -- it's covered in protection, and is thus the most "crashable" by far.

I jokingly offered to let a very short friend take my KLR for a spin once (it's stock height, with beefed-up suspension and a regular height seat). I didn't imagine he would actually take me up on the offer. But he clambered aboard somehow after a running jump, and managed the bike beautifully. At stop lights, he had to slide off the seat to the left to get one toe down, leaving his right leg barely hooked over the seat. When the light turned green, he'd smoothly spring up into the saddle while letting out the clutch. Hilarious to watch, but effective... if you have the skill, you can ride anything.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #63
*Gmoney*
St00pid n00b

Oddometer: 789
A friend of mine had one these back in the day.

One night he was riding home someone pulled out in front of him,
he flipped them off, they became agressive the chase begun.
Trying to out run them, they ran him off the road doing over 70.
He spend 3 months getting put back together decided, maybe he should not ride anymore.
I buy damaged bike from him, spend all winter replacing, fixing damage.
Fun bike, rode around the front range Colorado a few times.
He stops by my work I was oiling chain, bike check.
He asks "Mind if I take my old bike around the block" I tell myself he should be fine it was his for years.
Go back to doing something at work thinking he has been gone a while when
I hear the sirens.
WTF I start heading down the block see the fire trucks.
He was going to fast, drunk driver turned left.
He gets another 8 months in hospital, bike totaled.
I call his parents, tell them to go to ER, they respond,
"he sold his motorcycle!".
All I could say was, I know.

*Gmoney* screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 05:10 PM
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #64
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
A couple buddies of mine bought sport bikes. We had chatted before and they knew I could ride but was a noob, so one guy offers his tricked out Vulcan with forward controls for a day trip.

Needless to say, I started grinding hard parts in a shallow corner, target fixated a little on the shoulder, watched the front go off the pavement but then come back on. At this point I thought I was OK, then the back tire went off the pavement and kept going, in the most gentle and prettiest low side you have ever seen. Took the end off the clutch lever, ground the crap out of the left peg and some of the forward control, ground one of the pipes and scuffed one shock. All in all maybe $1k in damage. We finished the ride and chatted a little, next day he came into work and said don't worry about it. Still buddies to this day, frequently swapping bikes, I'm just jealous he turned a faster time at the drag strip on my bike than I did.

Dropped a coworkers dirt bike in a New Mexico desert at about 5 mph. You couldn't tell the scuffs I put on it over the ones that were already there. He laughed and then helped me wash off the 14" long gash in my left arm. He then proceeded to ride it while I watched and burned it down not 15 minutes later. I made up for the scuffs by helping push the bike the 3 miles back to his house.

I guess I'm the 'co-worker' and 'best friend' commonly referred to in this thread.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #65
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
I have never had any problems, its a good way to get rides on a lot of bikes.

Its only a bit of metal anyway.
This.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #66
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,236
When my wife was a teenager her father helped her buy her first bike - a cherry Honda 305 (yes, it was a number of years ago). Her father rode it home for her and before she could ride it herself her boyfriend announced that he would warm it up for her, got on it, blasted down the street, t-boned a car and totaled the bike. Needless to say, her approach to letting people ride her bikes is "you break it, you buy it".

The last time I borrowed a bike it was to teach a friend how to ride. It took him less than half an hour to go WFO, drop the clutch, and wheelie through the group of people watching him. No one got hurt, but I think my days of borrowing bikes, lending bikes, and/or teaching people to ride is drawing to a close.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #67
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
I only let someone else ride my bike once...and it turned out as expected.

I had a DRZ400S at the time, and we were having a get together at my cabin for the weekend, and my bike happened to be there.

One of my buddies asked if he could take it for a spin.....I hesitated a bit, but he promised he could "handle it".

The road by the cabin goes in a circle about the size of a city block (but the road is just dirt, and hemmed by tress along both sides). I am down by the lake, and I can hear my bike roaring around the circle (now, you know a DRZ is being hammered on when you can hear it "roaring" with the stock exhaust. ).

Suddenly, all goes quiet.....

A few minutes later, my buddy comes back on the bike and both he and the bike are totally covered in black mud and cattails. He goosed it a bit too hard in one of the corners, and went off the road right into the only bit of swamp along the road (thankfully, he did not go off anywhere else, as it is all cedar trees). He had gone head first over the bars and really "stuck" the landing right in a big patch of cattails.

Thankfully, the bike was unharmed and did not suck any water into the engine.

He actually went out into the lake fully clothed (including helmet) to wash the first couple of layers of mud off.

Lesson learned!
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #68
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Yeah sure. I mean what are they going to do, crash it worse than me?

Back in 2011 we did the 6 hour off road team race. My buddy and I vs another friend and his dad. There might have been 80 other teams, but they didn't matter.

Since we were just doing this race for fun and not taking it seriously, I took my 11 year old YZ125 and left my 540cc Ultimate Racing Four Stroke KTM at home. The first sign of trouble that I ignored was "Hey guys check it out, I can start my bike by hand!" "Orange, that might not be a good thing."

I made it about 1/4 of a lap and the bike died. Pushed it back to the pits. I didn't drive 7 hours to ride one mile and get drunk, so I rode my teammate's 9 year old KTM 300. Pushing the bike back to the pits meant that we lost a bunch of time, and eventually got to be exactly 1 lap down from our other friend. Actual results were already out the window, but every corner was set to be an epic battle.

Until we got to the straightaway in view of the pits, and I went from 10 feet behind his YZ250 to 30 feet in front of it. After that it was wheelies out of every corner, and roost everywhere! I needed one of these.

A month later I bought a new in box 09 KTM 250. My friend saw my shiny new bike and bought an 11 300XC a week after that.

And that's the story of the $15,000 YZ125 top end, and why lending your bike to your friend at a race can be expensive.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #69
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 210
Two years ago I got my wife (of 20 years) a 05 Yamaha XT225 for Christmas.
After a month I said to my buddy (who I have been riding with for 10+years)
Lets take the plated bikes up to see a trail I saw on google maps...

We get to the head of trail and see the mile of grassy trail under the power line and both grin and give a thumbs up. I hit the throttle and he follows right behind, ripping thru the gears and tearing up some grassy goodness.

After about 4th gear I notice a ditch up ahead and I begin to stop and pull to the right of the trail. I turn my head to the left to see my buddy come by me at still on the gas, going about 40mph right about the same time he notices the ditch. He grabs all the brake he can get and washes the front wheel out in an instant. The bike slams to the ground and he and the bike slide into the ditch. He land face down in about a foot of nasty stagnant ditch water. I would have been pissed about him crashing my wife's new bike but I couldn't stop laughing. He stood up trying to gasp for air after having the wind knocked out of him and the first thing i noticed was his goggles were about half filled with shit-water. He looked like an idiot.

We fucking belly-laughed for about 20 minutes. Every time I inhaled, I could not escape the stench of that nasty scum he fell into. If it wasn't for the intense humiliation he suffered I would have been pissed...

In the end, he reimbursed me for $65 worth of fender and a headlite cowel.

Oh yeah... my wife was real pissed. She couldn't see the humor at all...
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #70
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
When I was a kid, it must have been 5 or 6th grade, I had a hot little YZ80 that I raced and a XR200 play bike for the local trails. A kid at school found out that I raced and was always bugging me to let him ride my race bike. Day after day this kid was all, I can ride… I ride my (Dads/Brothers/Uncles/Grand Mothers) bike all the time and it’s (bigger/faster/more powerful) than any 80cc bike. Let me ride it, just once…
So one day I’m like ‘fine’, ride the bus to my house and I’ll let you take it on my track (small back yard loop with a couple of jumps). So kid is all excited all the way to my place and when we get there I tell him to ride the 200 first, “just so I can see how you do”.
I pull the good old XR out of the shed, hand the kid a helmet and point him up the driveway (400 yards of gravel). He looks a little unsure as I lean the bike towards him, motor running, in gear, clutch in.
Well he tosses a leg over, takes the bars gives the XR a couple of full throttle revs and drops the cutch. He’s full on whisky throttle, eyes wide, mouth open, feet flailing behind and the front end pointing towards the sky! After about 80 yards he drifts to the right and smacks a tree.
Luckily he was unhurt, and the bike was so beat up before that no one would have noticed any damage anyway. Just think what would have happened on a two stroke race prepped YZ80 what latterly would blow flames out the exhaust. That’s the last person, other than my Father, Brother, Son, and Mechanic that I have allowed to ride a bike I own.
deacon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #71
jeveretts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Nothing bad happened on my worst experience. I bought a Ducati Monster 900 on a good buddy of mines recommendation. He was a road racer, and even raced at Daytona. After I got it, he asked to take it for a spin, so I let him.
Next thing I know, he is coming down the road at about 60mph and pulls a wheelie and rides it on the back wheel until he is out of sight.
I am just picturing the thousands I just spent tumbling down this country highway. I never let him ride it again, my nerves couldn't take it.
jeveretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #72
Manuelsv
Traveling South

Oddometer: 80
Never lend a bike!

Back in my Softmore year of College.. My roommate and I both had motorcycles..
I had a 1984 250 ninja, and I think he had a 750 Yamaha Virago IIRC? Anyhow..
We went to the MC junk yard for parts one day.. and found a crashed 1990 Kawasaki KZ1000 P that the Phoenix PD had junked.. It was not bad perhaps a low speed rear ending? Anyhow it just needed new forks, front wheel and some other not so hard to source parts.. they wanted $500 for it and we bought it and brought her home.. With our limited student budgets.. we took 3 months too source the cheapest replacement parts, and fixed it..
The day we were putting the finishing touches on it (BTW a Friday) we were drinking lots a beer on a pre-emptive celebration College style..
We finally buttoned the last items up and cleaned up the garage by 9PM and we were fairly tipsy.. When the usual drinking buddies started showing up for the Friday night usual festivities!
So we pulled the bike out of the garage.. Let everyone know: NO we are not going to ride , and no no-one else can ride it either! We have nor registered or insured the bike and besides we are both drunk!
But we can turn it on and show off our work.. Admire our cool “cop bike” and generally show off our wrenching skills and final work! For a couple of 21 yr. old guy’s first wrenching experience; we were truly proud of our achievement!
So we are sitting around explaining what we did what we fixed drinking more and more beer! And showing off! Turned on the bike when someone asked does it run with you two monkeys wrenching on it? So started her up.. And our ex-friend Carlos (Hereafter referred to as “the morron”) jumps on it.. He Immediately proceeds to idiotically revvi our baby to redline! Bloody Idiot! I’m screaming over the engine noise.. STOP! That’s no good for a cold engine! GET OFF THE BIKE YOU MORRON! When he turned to look at my VERY PISSED-OFF FACE! And I heard the sound I’ll never forget in my life! At redline his foot hits the shifter! The bike does a wheelie for about 20Ft straight into a cinder block fence and both our just finished project bike and the Mother E F-ing Morron! Both end about 40 ft into my neighbour’s yard! The morron broke his arm in 6 places, several ribs, pelvis, and both legs in at least 4 places IIRC… I don’t want to even go into the aftermath implications and costs to both me and my roommate but we were renting, [img][/img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry022.gif and to start with the Morron did not have any health insurance and the bike was obviously not registered or insured!
Just remembering “the Morron” gets my blood boiling!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #73
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
When I was a kid, it must have been 5 or 6th grade, I had a hot little YZ80 that I raced and a XR200 play bike for the local trails. A kid at school found out that I raced and was always bugging me to let him ride my race bike. Day after day this kid was all, I can ride… I ride my (Dads/Brothers/Uncles/Grand Mothers) bike all the time and it’s (bigger/faster/more powerful) than any 80cc bike. Let me ride it, just once…
So one day I’m like ‘fine’, ride the bus to my house and I’ll let you take it on my track (small back yard loop with a couple of jumps). So kid is all excited all the way to my place and when we get there I tell him to ride the 200 first, “just so I can see how you do”.
I pull the good old XR out of the shed, hand the kid a helmet and point him up the driveway (400 yards of gravel). He looks a little unsure as I lean the bike towards him, motor running, in gear, clutch in.
Well he tosses a leg over, takes the bars gives the XR a couple of full throttle revs and drops the cutch. He’s full on whisky throttle, eyes wide, mouth open, feet flailing behind and the front end pointing towards the sky! After about 80 yards he drifts to the right and smacks a tree.
Luckily he was unhurt, and the bike was so beat up before that no one would have noticed any damage anyway. Just think what would have happened on a two stroke race prepped YZ80 what latterly would blow flames out the exhaust. That’s the last person, other than my Father, Brother, Son, and Mechanic that I have allowed to ride a bike I own.
Reading that reminds me that I was going to buy a yz80 for my wife to lean on before getting a 125 road bike as I think 80cc is a slow kids bike
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #74
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
Reading that reminds me that I was going to buy a yz80 for my wife to lean on before getting a 125 road bike as I think 80cc is a slow kids bike
You're CLUELESS once again.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #75
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
The first time things went wrong I had loaned out a KZ440. There was a pothole in the yard in the spot where the driveway and street meet. He hit that and went down. The left side turn signal and the headlight and bucket were all bent/broken. I don't remember him offering to pay for damages.

This last time I lent out a bike it was to a friend with riding experience. I let him take my Road Glide out for the weekend since I had to work. On Saturday I get a call...

The drive belt broke. He says he wasn't beating on it (I wasn't concerned about that, I beat on it) and it just went. It's an '03 with about 56k on it, so I suppose it was time. He did offer to help pay for it, and to help do the work to replace it. I figure it was going to go anyway, so I'm not going to burden him with it. I'm having it fixed for about $330, parts and labor. And he did wash it for me.

Some years ago I borrowed a little 50 cc (?) trail bike, one of those $500 chinese ones. I was blasting around this motel several times where we were partying and then through a grassy field. The grass was tall and hid a small ditch. I was hauling ass and promptly went ass over. I just remember laying in the grass with the bike laying down next to me, running. I hit the kill switch and just lay there. I'm not sure what all was bent, but the handlebars were cranked over to the left some. I didn't ride anymore that night.

Later that summer I borrowed another one. We were in some woods that had trails run through it. I've never ridden off road before, and was taking it somewhat easy. It had started to get dark about the time I hit the end of the trail, so I turned around and headed back to camp. On the way back there was a big assed mud puddle in the bottom of a pit, right next to the trail. I went slow around it, too slow and too close. Yes, I needed to put my foot down, but I was right on the edge and went over. I pulled the bike out and had to dig around for one of my shoes. the bike and I were one big mud ball. I rode back to camp, right up to the stream we camped next to, and rinsed off the bike and then took a bath.

I've ridden those bikes a bit since and gave them up, for what we were doing they wheelie too easy. Maybe if I stood on the pegs or wasn't scared of looping it I would wheelied the snot out of it and have had more fun.

Tuna Helper screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 05:47 PM
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote