Old 10-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #451
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I've lane split at ninety... and been passed
You are so full of BS.
Again I ask, if you are so smart why are you not in LALA instead of WAWA?
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #452
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
That quote was from someone else. No way would I live in LA much less commute there.
Most people in LA Don't commute. ANd seriously LA's traffic is not as bad as lots of other places.

Seattle, Portland, Memphis, Nashville, ATLANTA, heck I thought Phoenix had some brutal traffic too.

It's manageable without much effort, unlike a lot of places where it's unpredictable and ever present.

the vast majority of the time traffic in Socal is actually AMAZINGLY efficient. Outside of proper "rush hours" LA to San Diego is a 90 MPH smooth sail the whole way. In fact with the exception of the grapevine SD to SFO or even Redding is usually a non-event traffic wise

I think people who say they'd never live there because of traffic have never actually dealt with it, don't appreciate how valuable lane splitting and proper enforcement really is. And the bottom line is that no matter where you live in the US, Los Angeles' traffic is pretty much your future. At least they've been thinking about it for a good long while and truly it's mostly figured out.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #453
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You are so full of BS.

"Again I ask" <- How many times do I have to answer before you hear it?

I'm not full of BS at all. In Orange county, there's a 18" divider between the left and the HOV lane. It's illegal for cars to merge, and because they are used to and expecting us to split they merge away and there's normally a 10' or 12' wide open space there that is used by bikes. You guys think splitting at 90 is insane, when in fact it's a fairly normal thing to do.

When it's busy but not heavy, NORMAL traffic trough LA flows at about 80-85

I've gone 90 in a car and been passed by a CHP cruiser who never even looked at me.

And the incident I related was actually in the valley where it's MUCH narrower and yeah, there are a few squids down over there

You say I'm full of BS, and I say that's you being closed minded, judge-mental, and you are obviously pretending to be an authority on something you know nothing about. You are telling everyone how shitty LA is and you've apparently never been there.

And LA is a small part of SoCal and a tiny part of "California"
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 05:32 PM
Old 10-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #454
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Xymotic, I'm lost, which state do you think is best?

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #455
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Xymotic, I'm lost, which state do you think is best?
Well I'm glad you asked! Allow me to elaborate
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #456
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Most people in LA Don't commute. ANd seriously LA's traffic is not as bad as lots of other places.

Seattle, Portland, Memphis, Nashville, ATLANTA, heck I thought Phoenix had some brutal traffic too.

It's manageable without much effort, unlike a lot of places where it's unpredictable and ever present.

the vast majority of the time traffic in Socal is actually AMAZINGLY efficient. Outside of proper "rush hours" LA to San Diego is a 90 MPH smooth sail the whole way. In fact with the exception of the grapevine SD to SFO or even Redding is usually a non-event traffic wise

I think people who say they'd never live there because of traffic have never actually dealt with it, don't appreciate how valuable lane splitting and proper enforcement really is. And the bottom line is that no matter where you live in the US, Los Angeles' traffic is pretty much your future. At least they've been thinking about it for a good long while and truly it's mostly figured out.
I am not just saying this because I live here. Honestly.

He speaks the truth. "proper enforcement" is a thing. Thought about this today riding to work. Was going 90 (indicated) most of the way and being passed by about 20% of the cars. Unless you just killed somebody, you don't have to worry about getting tagged for speeding here.

Back in MN, where I'm from, cops are predatory and hide in bushes. You're getting a ticket 5+ miles over the limit. Makes no sense except from a revenue perspective for the state. Kinda sucks. They're so busy here they don't bother.

Also, I go to Seattle semi-frequently to see friends. The traffic there is BAD. And you can't lane split. Every time I see poor motorcyclist guy just sitting in stopped traffic with the plebe cars, the safest kind to lane split in, it doesn't make sense to me. And those guys have to put up with some serious rain, why sit in it?!

Regarding the story of the CHP passing you while lanesplitting going really fast. I would called b.s. on this too had not I experienced it firsthand. The LA CHP are nuts. No gear, really: open face helmet, short sleeve shirt, equestrian boots and pants-flying by you on the no shoulder 405 in insane traffic lanesplitting and you're over 80 mph already.

Like I said before, anywhere you are is probably fine as long as your bike isn't locked up for the winter TOO long -this doesn't have to be a CA circle jerk. But there are some unique benefits to living and riding here, along with some unique challenges.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #457
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
2 hours, and hour, so much wasted time

I have good riding starting at the end of my driveway
Not all year round mind you...

And people from LA are just being modest, I'm in LA proper and this is 20 minutes away in Angeles National Forest
Old 10-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #458
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post

And people from LA are just being modest, I'm in LA proper and this is 20 minutes away in Angeles National Forest

20 minutes is like 350 in miles, right? And god look at all that congestion!

Is A.C. (the off-road parts I mean) completely open now? When I left huge parts of it were closed because of the fire.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #459
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
Back in MN, where I'm from, cops are predatory and hide in bushes. You're getting a ticket 5+ miles over the limit. Makes no sense except from a revenue perspective for the state. Kinda sucks. They're so busy here they don't bother.
Yeah, go to Susanville or Yreka it's very different. They'll git ya for the piddliest little thing. Bakersfield south not so much.

Quote:
Also, I go to Seattle semi-frequently to see friends. The traffic there is BAD. And you can't lane split. Every time I see poor motorcyclist guy just sitting in stopped traffic with the plebe cars, the safest kind to lane split in, it doesn't make sense to me. And those guys have to put up with some serious rain, why sit in it?!
Yeah, that was probably me Like I said my Husky's been all over ridden hard in dirt and 105+ heat. It's only ever overheated on I-5 in downtown Seattle. (twice) at like 2pm.

Quote:
Regarding the story of the CHP passing you while lanesplitting going really fast. I would called b.s. on this too had not I experienced it firsthand. The LA CHP are nuts. No gear, really: open face helmet, short sleeve shirt, equestrian boots and pants-flying by you on the no shoulder 405 in insane traffic lanesplitting and you're over 80 mph already.
I wasn't even talking about the CHP moto Guys, they're nuckin futs! MOST bikes hang left, so the CHP guys go into the right lanes cuz they ain't waitin for no stupid bikers to get out of their way!!! I've seen those guys flying 70+ in stop and go traffic and Splitting and WEAVING, every time they hit the brakes it's just on the edge of a stoppie, I tell you one thing, I'f I had a 3/4 mile head start I wouldn't try to outrun one of them guys.

To be fair though, it is a kevlar short sleeved shirt they wear, and raybans are 'armor' right?

The pass I was talking about was just me white knuckling it, feelin smug abut how hardcore I was and then looking in my rearview had a sport bike on my ass. waved him by and along comes another. With me doing 85-90 the whole time.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 10:28 PM
Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #460
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,569
Quote:
20 minutes is like 350 in miles, right? And god look at all that congestion!

Is A.C. (the off-road parts I mean) completely open now? When I left huge parts of it were closed because of the fire.
Mostly closed still, locals say it will open but just way down the list of things to do.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #461
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,420
... And a Thread killer

Quote:
You are so full of BS.
http://advrider.com/forums/misc.php?...osted&t=925502

Award winner.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #462
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
When I left huge parts of it were closed because of the fire.
you can have your forest fires

last time we had a major fire in NH that closed anything down was 1947, and that was caused by and old coal fired locomotive on a rail line that no longer exists
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #463
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,963
I was in Cali for the SBK Races @ Laguna in Sept.
I always take a day and ride up to Alices for a late breakfast on the Friday before the races. I have done this for almost 20 years, it's my tradition when I visit for the races. I was passed by a CHP moto doing over 90 coming into Santa Cruz.
Traffic started to be stop and go, and when it started to back up he LS with me behind him. We were cruising between 30-60 between the other vehicles.
Traffic cleared a bit and the CHP pulled into a lane, and when it congested again I passed him and he LS behind my wife and me for another 4-5 miles. He eventually split off. I felt safe the whole time and obviously the CHP didn't have any problems with how I was riding. I really would prefer Colorado adopt this practice, as it makes riding a bike efficient like it should be in stop and go traffic.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #464
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post

the real bummer about Angeles is that there is almost zero "allowed" dirt riding. there is a little but really not much
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #465
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
I was in Cali for the SBK Races @ Laguna in Sept.
I always take a day and ride up to Alices for a late breakfast on the Friday before the races. I have done this for almost 20 years, it's my tradition when I visit for the races. I was passed by a CHP moto doing over 90 coming into Santa Cruz.
Traffic started to be stop and go, and when it started to back up he LS with me behind him. We were cruising between 30-60 between the other vehicles.
Traffic cleared a bit and the CHP pulled into a lane, and when it congested again I passed him and he LS behind my wife and me for another 4-5 miles. He eventually split off. I felt safe the whole time and obviously the CHP didn't have any problems with how I was riding. I really would prefer Colorado adopt this practice, as it makes riding a bike efficient like it should be in stop and go traffic.
I just wish SOMEONE would, because I think once it starts and people see that it's not the end of civilization then other states will follow. Much like CO followed WA on Pot. You watch next year it'll be three more states, then four....

And like I said, it's gonna come from somewhere that reaches LA-like traffic. Once people are STOPPED on the freeway for a couple hours it's like 'who cares if they can go" instead of treating congestion like it's a race.

I think Oregon has a chance of passing splitting... but the hooligans in TX and FL are going to kill it there before it ever gets off the ground.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale