ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 311
The camping situation can be overblown. Keep you camp tidy, dont' have giant whiteman fires, and they will generally leave you alone. I know lots of people that go months without a visit.

Flagstaff has some VERY technical riding, though not nearly as much as a few years ago. GOD DAMN TMR ALL TO HELL. North of PHX in the Cave Creek area is another great riding area. Camping is pretty restricted anymore, and the commute would be very long to any work.

Prescott would take some scouting, but there are camping opportunities not too far from town. Beware of Meth Labs. A few years ago they had a big problem going down there. There is good trail riding. The Camp Wood single track is said to be fun, but its way up North in Chino Valley. Alto Pit is a mostly Quad riding area West of town, we have trials there. It would be worth riding a few times.

A box of sheetmetal hex head screws will set you right for snow. Kinda squirly on dry pavement, but very effective for ice and snow. I have used pan head screws for less bite, and less slide on pavement.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #17
Steingass OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the responses guys. Basically what It looks like is fo me to be able to camp in the areas I like I have move to the high desert foothills where it snows too much. Also the trail terrain isn't really what I wanted and finding water can be a problem. As of right now it looks like southern Oregon is close to being perfect. Tons of year round riding and free camping in close proximity. Crater lake NP. Winter lows and highs around 30 and 50. A few inches of snow a year with half the rain I get here in WV and a third of what it was in WA. Lots of jobs and its close to the ocean and Idaho for summers. Now I want to leave tomorrow! Too bad I'm stuck here for 2 more months. When I create a trip report I'll post a link here. Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
Steingass OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Decided to check out Arizona first. I hated all the grey late fall through spring in Washington. Seems like theres a ton of forest service roads that fan out north of Phoenix. There's lots of diversity in Utah too. I should be content there.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Man, crater lake gets a ton of snow in he winter!

I mean a ton!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
Boise
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,277
Las Cruces, NM
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote