Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #5776
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Awesome Mark, glad you got that camera, Sure looks like you are giving it a workout.... and you can never have to many pictures of those amazing animals.
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #5777
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,974
Awesome stuff Mark.

I may be in Nambia end of November.
Etosha is high on my list of things to see.
Thanks for the timely update.

How's the suit working out for ya?

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #5778
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Thanks Radioman. As usual your report is awesome! Especially love the animal pic’s. On the bucket list!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #5779
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
How's the suit working out for ya?

Q~
Q- The Klim Mesh Air is a great suit for the hot African riding!! It is great from 70-90 F ( 21-32C) with just a tee shirt under! Above 90 things are hot as out highest was 39C (102 in Zambia), but still better than a suit with just venting!

Namibia has been awesome!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #5780
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Thank you!

Mark,

I've been reading about your life way before Chris left you and am still following along on your travels. I don't reply often but I did want to tell you how much I appreciate the efforts that you make for the rest of us.

I can't help adding in that I admire your outlook on life and the beliefs that you seem to carry with you. The many friends that you have must be the rewards that come from living the way that you do!

Thank you very much. Stay safe as you travel down the road.

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #5781
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Mark,

I've been reading about your life way before Chris left you and am still following along on your travels. I don't reply often but I did want to tell you how much I appreciate the efforts that you make for the rest of us.

I can't help adding in that I admire your outlook on life and the beliefs that you seem to carry with you. The many friends that you have must be the rewards that come from living the way that you do!
Gary,

Thanks for posting a comment. It is always appreciated when people post and comment. It really is an encouragement for me as I have shared life with so many ...... and I know that it has been great to be able to do so.....

Will continue on! Thanks again!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #5782
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Had a great evening in Gross SpitzKoppe in the Chalet. What a view.

Then off we rode in the morning !

The road conditions change on the non sealed roads. Had corrugated and sandy patches near the park. But lots of hard packed gravel and loose rocks as well.

100KM of gravel road out to the coast to HentiesBay. Saw a group of rides all in Yamaha 660 Tenere's ..... But did not stop to chat.

Just straight flat sandy roads to the coast. Was a bit hard to see the changes in the road conditions.

Arrived at the Atlantic Ocean!! Now I have been to both sides of teh Atlantic on this ride

We rode down the coast and stayed in Swakopmund. Since Namibia was a German Colony.... This has the feel of a Germany town. They had a tourist conference, so things were all neat and tidy. Some painted walls in town, and some of the widest unpaved streets I have ever seen in a town.

Goodbye to the Ocean.... Down to Walvis Bay and then Sossusvei

Ah.... Here is our road.

a few passes to get to Sossusvei (as we went the indirect route)

The changes in the terrain where great!

Had to do the mandatory stop in Solitare for Famous Apple Crumble.

Then onto Sossusvei.

Arrived at the Camp, and got a spot.

Hot and dry. But they had a pool!

Enjoyed the sunset!!

Dinner

We just set up our pads and Sleeping bags under the structure.

Another great day in Namibia!

Radioman screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 09:31 PM
Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #5783
Radioman OP
Moto rider

I was up early to catch a Sunset Ballon flight over the Namib Desert and Dunes (was really looking forward to this!!)

BUT it was too windy, so here I am at the campsite office, No Ballon ride today..... And the Namib Park was closed to Motorcycles due to some motorcyclist that went off roading on the dunes and now we are banned from riding in the 65 Km to see Sussosvei Anyhow, I asked about one of the jeep rides... they called, and got a questionable answer, so i walked over to check.... None Available What? I see people loading up and seats are open Crazy poor customer service . But fortunately after I walked back to teh campsite, a helpful woman that worked there called a friend who drivers the shuttles the last 5KM in deep sand to take people in. He stopped by and I drove in with the driving crew, with the idea that I would have to find a ride back out.... Long narrative, but it was the early start to my day. Jorg stayed in bed, as he is planning to bring Lily back next year!

Into the park we go!

As you head into the park .... The reddish dunes appear!

I get to the end of the road with the shuttle..... Then do the 1.1 Km hike into deadvlei.

The dune was steep and wind was blowing.

Just very interesting patterns the sand makes

Met up with some German tourists was we walked up. Was nice to meet T and Connie. Hope to see them again someday. They ended up giving me a ride out to the tar road.

Here they are after I started to go down the sand.....

It is a steep downhill slide.....

The dead Vlei

The dunes were great! But filled my shoes with sand.

Got back to the campsite at around 11 Am, after being up early and then hiking the dunes. Was already a bit tired, and the temps were going up! But off we decided to ride.

Some vehicles do not make the rough roads......

Riding south

The terrain was interesting and vast..... The road surfaces varied greatly.

During the middle of afternoon the road got rougher and sandier .... We were about 180 Miles of riding and the road was taking a great deal of concentration with the deeper sand.

* Note: as a rider, you always want to ride your own ride. Said it many times .... But at one point I was not having fun riding as the road worsened, and Jorg and I had different paces. I was feeling a bit pushed ..... Just concentrating on the riding, and felt like I was missing out on enjoying the Namibia I came to see (and not wanting to make a mistake and go down in such a remote place). Jorg was riding a bit faster enjoying the challenge of the ride. The reason I write this, is that this is what happens when you ride with other riders. No big deal, but I was a bit tired and felt a bit out of sorts. At first I was not figuring out my own feelings..... We had ridden 1,500 Km of gravel and loose sand over the past few days, and fatigue was setting in.

We ended up stopping a bit earlier than planned in Helmeringhausen, so I could rest up. Instead of pushing on another 250KM which was the plan ....

It was the right thing to do. I can let Jorg comment as well on the road and the interactions.

We camped at a nice Germany feeling place.

Had a nice meal.

and then ..... The sign pulled us in.

It was very good and Fresh indeed. But Jorg said, "not as good as Mom's"

Nice place to relax

and Smell some flowers

Radioman screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 09:04 PM
Old 10-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #5784
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,357
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #5785
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,421

We lost three regional riders this past week.
Thank you for calling it and stopping when you did. Please continue to listen to that voice of reason... ride your own ride, and thank you for sharing.

I got crossed up more than once on m long summer ride and backed off to listen, I am glad I did.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #5786
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post

We lost three regional riders this past week.
Thank you for calling it and stopping when you did. Please continue to listen to that voice of reason... ride your own ride, and thank you for sharing.

I got crossed up more than once on m long summer ride and backed off to listen, I am glad I did.

Thanks Ray. So sorry to read about riders in the PNW

Old 10-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #5787
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Sorry to read about the 3 riders.
Yes I was riding a bit quicker than Mark, I am new to the 1200 with the 19 inch front wheel and discovered that when I got into the sandy patches at 60 km/h the bike would snake quite a bit while at 90km/h or higher the bike stayed straight and was easier to control.
I do admit that loose gravel roads are my favorite riding terrain.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #5788
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Ride your own pace

Hey Mark. Been following you the entire trip. Amazing ride and lots of respect for you my friend. Perhaps you need to just slow down and ride your own pace. Sure Jorg would understand this. He can return next year, you may not be able too. Jorg looks like great company and has been an amazing host. But you must follow your soul as you have been. Just a thought my friend. Keep up the amazing riding and the photos.
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #5789
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe View Post

1) Perhaps you need to just slow down and ride your own pace. Sure Jorg would understand this.

2) Jorg looks like great company and has been an amazing host. But you must follow your soul as you have been.
1) That is exactly what I did.... All is well. I talked about in my RR so that others could learn and think about their rides with others.

2) Jorg (and Lily) have been great!! Fantastic hosts and I have enjoyed all the time we have spent together!! Very grateful for more wonderful people along my journey! Once again, Met as "strangers" but are now Friends!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #5790
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Mark all can say is when in doubt. GAS IT!!!!

HA. I just love the advice you get after you have ridden almost around the world.
Rock on!
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote