Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #3616
Jordansdad
Jordansdad

Oddometer: 96
Walking my dogs in the woods last year and they run ahead and start barking. I run to them and there is a poacher with a shotgun pointed at them. I drew my 9 and pointed it at him and told him what would happen if he shot my dogs.
Yes, it's not cool to be chased by a dog but if you are seen shooting the wrong dog you just might find shots being fired at you. Some of us really love are dogs.
I ride bikes also and have been chased by dogs but never thought to shoot one.
Jordansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #3617
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Pepper spray works without aiming. Just spray it down and behind the dog will run into the cloud.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #3618
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordansdad View Post
Walking my dogs in the woods last year and they run ahead and start barking. I run to them and there is a poacher with a shotgun pointed at them. I drew my 9 and pointed it at him and told him what would happen if he shot my dogs.
Yes, it's not cool to be chased by a dog but if you are seen shooting the wrong dog you just might find shots being fired at you. Some of us really love are dogs.
If someone feels threatened enough by your dog(s) to point a weapon at them, there's a problem with the dog(s) and their owner. I'd bet that the problem is mostly their owner.

Just sayin

I don't care how much you love your dog(s) if they're aggressive and/or running out in the street chasing cars/bikes/motos there's going to be problems.

M
Old 10-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #3619
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If someone feels threatened enough by your dog(s) to point a weapon at them, there's a problem with the dog(s) and their owner. I'd bet that the problem is mostly their owner.

Just sayin

I don't care how much you love your dog(s) if they're aggressive and/or running out in the street chasing cars/bikes/motos there's going to be problems.

M

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #3620
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:

Were they on a leash? If not, shame on you......if so, shame on them.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #3621
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Walking your dogs in the woods on a leash? You must be a city slicker.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #3622
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Just sayin

M
If the problem is with the owner, then aim the gun at the owner, not the dog.

Apparently you understand the dog is not responsible for his inclination to protect his property by chasing away intruders, or possibly just rounding them up, so why would you choose to punish the dog?

Center-stand screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 08:32 AM Reason: edit to correct spelling and grammer
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #3623
Jordansdad
Jordansdad

Oddometer: 96
Obviously you people from the city didn't get the walking the dogs in the woods and the poacher. All of the property is private and the poacher was hunting without permission and out of season. My dogs are very well trained and come when called. They are not ever on a leash on this private property as no one should be there.
Once again go ahead and get caught shooting the wrong dog and be prepared for what happens. If he had shot one of my dogs he would have been shot.
We had a guy move in down the road several years ago and he shot another neighbors dog which he said he thought was a stray. Bill got arrested for the beating he gave him but he felt it was worth it.
Jordansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #3624
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,485
How did we get from bicycles on the road, to dogs and guns in the woods? You phukkerz kill me!
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #3625
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
If the problem is with the owner, then aim the gun at the owner, not the dog.

Apparently you understand the dog is not responsible for his inclination to protect his property by chasing away intruders, or possibly just rounding them up, so why would you choose to punish the dog?

If the dogs owner chased the bike, while barking and growling, that might be a good option to use. The public road is not the dogs, or the owners property to protect.
If a pet owner can't control their pet, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to own one.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #3626
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
How did we get from bicycles on the road, to dogs and guns in the woods? You phukkerz kill me!
We're here to entertain.

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #3627
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
I have attacked dogs a couple of times. Once with a rock, once with my bare hands. In both cases the big aggressive dog appeared to be tearing up the dog I was with, but it was all show. Not a mark. Dogs are funny creatures.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #3628
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Obviously you people from the city didn't get the walking the dogs in the woods and the poacher. All of the property is private and the poacher was hunting without permission and out of season. My dogs are very well trained and come when called. They are not ever on a leash on this private property as no one should be there.
Once again go ahead and get caught shooting the wrong dog and be prepared for what happens. If he had shot one of my dogs he would have been shot.
We had a guy move in down the road several years ago and he shot another neighbors dog which he said he thought was a stray. Bill got arrested for the beating he gave him but he felt it was worth it.
What does a poacher on private property have to do with unrestrained dogs chasing bicyclists on public roads?
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #3629
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
Bicycles on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Next time I'm in the woods I will have to educate the black bears on the leash law :-)

Edited to add forgotten smiley. That means I am just being a wise ass
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #3630
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
If the dogs owner chased the bike, while barking and growling, that might be a good option to use. The public road is not the dogs, or the owners property to protect.
If a pet owner can't control their pet, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to own one.

No deal.

The public road is not the bikes, or the bike owners property to claim.
If a bike owner / rider can't control their bike, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to own one.

In all seriousness, Gummee stated the gun wasn't the first, second, or third choice to control dogs. My thought is, if you have passed the same dog three times without incident other than some barking and chasing you should know where it is and what to expect. Hopefully you are at least as smart as the dog and able to understand it is not a real threat, just a 10 second inconvenience, much the same as cyclists are when they slow down auto traffic by riding three abreast on 55 mph roads.

Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote