Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,015

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

I'll bite..... what filters are we discussing paper, foam, cloth???? Before or after washing all the crud off from the filter cover? Under the influence? Method of cleaning?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
rallyreplica
out and about

Oddometer: 53
I've always thought that changing the oil in my engine was bad for my bike.... I'm not sure I get this thread
rallyreplica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,014
For those of you who aren't aware the theory behind not cleaning an air filter is that the dirt it has collected acts to further restrict the openings in the filter allowing less debris into the motor, by cleaning the filter you are not only removing the additional filtering agents but also enlarging the openings in the filter during the cleaning process. I rub cheap $7 air filters from rocky mountain and replace them every two years or after any deep water submersions.

As far as not changing oil I don't understand what that poster is trying to say. I change my oil every 2,000 miles, And use a new filter only after every 2nd change for the same reasons stated as above.
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVill View Post
Discuss
For me nothing to discuss, every oil change at between 5000 - 7500 we wash and very anally re oil the air filter and pre cleaners x 3, wash the stainless steel oil filter out very carefully as well as mesh screens

By filling the holes up in the airfilter makes it run richer, use more fuel and will lead to bore washing ... good luck to those who choose this route.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
LowOnFuel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I agree, if you don't clean/replace your air filter it will become more and more restrictive and eventually prevent the engine from starting, therefore causing less wear on the engine.

LowOnFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Most air filters are designed to flow 2-3 times of what the carb can flow. Granted a clogged filter will cause power loss, but I don't think the op is saying that it should never be replaced, just that they shouldn't be cleaned
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I don't think the op is saying that it should never be replaced, just that they shouldn't be cleaned

It's called over servicing and some amount of dirt/dust will find a way into the engine every time. It's all about making sure it needs to be changed in the first place. A filter minder would be a great addition to a motorcycle, I'm going to install one on my Goldwing so I can just change the filter when the gauge says it's restricted.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
groovyspuds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Run it 'till it grenades, buy a new one.
groovyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
A filter minder would be a great addition to a motorcycle, I'm going to install one on my Goldwing so I can just change the filter when the gauge says it's restricted.

I have one on my truck. That's a great idea. Do they make a motorcycle specific one or are you going to mod your ow,. I would be very interested in pics or a write up
Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
..... I don't think the op is saying that it should never be replaced, just that they shouldn't be cleaned

I don't think that's correct, his statement...

"Cleaning/replacing air filter is actually bad for your engine"

Clearly states cleaned and/or replaced.

He needs to come back and 'splain himself or we'll start jumping to conclusions.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

FWIW,,, the OP did post this in OC knowing full well (assumption on my part) these bikes have paper OEM filters. So is he saying just changing an OEM filter is bad for your engine. Surely there is no residual dirt/grit in a new filter element.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

True , we may need some more info