Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Do the Happy Trails still have the "shin banger" bar out back?

The asymmetry of the Wolfman racks allow for a Rotopax to be mounted under the left-hand soft bag and the bags then stick out the same on both sides. As a bonus, you can leave the Rotopax mounted all the time.
Yes, and I hate mine. I keep thinking I'm gonna have my welder guy make up one that comes in behind the license plate.

Wolfman has a 'banger' as well, but it's better hidden.

The HT rack is symetrical - they claim that's what their customers perfer (BS!). On the Tiger this leaves a big space between it and the bike onthe left side. Dubl-A figured out how to mount a kolpin pax in there, others have installed a tool tube or tool box in there. I haven't done anything with it yet.

Six to one...half dozen to the other.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #32
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yes, and I hate mine. I keep thinking I'm gonna have my welder guy make up one that comes in behind the license plate.

Wolfman has a 'banger' as well, but it's better hidden.
The Wolfman has a crossover bar, but it's up and out of the way. The HT sticks down and out into the shin region, thus the moniker I gave it. The Wolfman also adds a good bit of strength and spreads any load effectively to both racks and all the mounting points. Because it is so thin and bent at such an odd angle, I'm not sure what the HT bar does other than get in the way.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #33
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
The Wolfman has a crossover bar, but it's up and out of the way. The HT sticks down and out into the shin region, thus the moniker I gave it. The Wolfman also adds a good bit of strength and spreads any load effectively to both racks and all the mounting points. Because it is so thin and bent at such an odd angle, I'm not sure what the HT bar does other than get in the way.

Hmmmm...you must be going by assumption or from an image. The HT crossbar isn't thin, it's actually hell for stout but does stick way down unless you turn it over. It performs the same function as with virtually all pannier racks. It's also not anywhere near where you would bump it. Actually, it makes a good towel bar at camp.

I'd still like to make a new one. My tail doesn't hang down that far anymore, it's been trimmed.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #34
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 319
Thumb

Same kinda stuff goin' on in my head here too.

I have been debating between the Happy Trails and Wolfmans, and I much prefer the look of the Wolfmans. Their new generation has a crossbar too, which is very cool.

I'm wondering... With mounting Pelicans to Wolfman racks, the tubular steel frame sticks out farther than the mounting tabs/holes, so would the smart thing be to fab up some kind of spacer with maybe a mounting plate, and then attach the cases that way? I've been trying to think about how you'd engineer such a system.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #35
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Wolfman Racks

They already have a mounting system for hard cases...$115
Product page here: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=171

Old 10-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #36
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Quote:
They already have a mounting system for hard cases...$115
Product page here: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=171
Thanks browneye... I thought they had something but totally missed it on their website. I think I'm gonna go Wolfman and end up with some soft bags and a set of pelicans.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #37
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

IMO that's the best solution out there.

I'll probly end up with set of wolfman bags at some point and just use them with my HT racks. But to do it over would definitely go wolfman racks.

I could sell my HT racks but it would be an expensive change over and I'd have to re-drill my boxes too.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #38
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Thumb

Yeah dude, I hear you. I am really diggin' the Wolfmans, especially the new generation with the crossbar. They seem super sturdy.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #39
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Yeah dude, I hear you. I am really diggin' the Wolfmans, especially the new generation with the crossbar. They seem super sturdy.
Sure like mine and stout they certainly are. Good protection for the pillion peg mounts too.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #40
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I have the Wolfman racks and love them. I have heard that the guy that makes the racks has quit supplying Wolfman. Anybody else hear that? If so, that sucks, and if you're on the fence about buying a set, it may be wise to decide before Wolfman's stock is out. I just went to the Wolfman site and added the racks to a cart without an error message. Not trying to cause a panic, and I hope I have bad info.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #41
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Thumb

That's very interesting... I hope that's not true, but I good thing I ordered mine!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #42
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Wolfman Pannier Racks

Here is Berg's site: http://brmoto.com

Most people don't realize you can buy the hoops pre-made and fabricate your own racks for any bike.

I dropped him an email and asked him to confirm or deny the rumor. Nothing on his site indicating any changes coming. And there was a thread started elsewhere on ADV on the subject (google search) but it has been deleted.

It's a pretty viable entity that's been around for a long while, and the market keeps getting bigger, so I doubt there's any validity to the rumor, or there could be a change in manufacturing. My bet is you'll still be able to buy wolfman racks.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #43
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81husky View Post
I have the Wolfman racks and love them. I have heard that the guy that makes the racks has quit supplying Wolfman. Anybody else hear that? If so, that sucks, and if you're on the fence about buying a set, it may be wise to decide before Wolfman's stock is out. I just went to the Wolfman site and added the racks to a cart without an error message. Not trying to cause a panic, and I hope I have bad info.
I just picked up a set at Adventure Designs when I heard Wolfman was going to focus on bags only. Get them while you can.
Saso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #44
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

BRMoto Racks no more

Well, I did get a reply back from Berg and he confirmed he will no longer be producing racks for Wolfman. WOW!!

My guess is there's either a product liability issue or some other falling out. He called it "circumstances that make it prohibitive". I would not be surprised if other manufacturing is arranged, but you never know. He also said he is providing warranty work on any sold product.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #45
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Quote:
Well, I did get a reply back from Berg and he confirmed he will no longer be producing racks for Wolfman. WOW!!

My guess is there's either a product liability issue or some other falling out. He called it "circumstances that make it prohibitive". I would not be surprised if other manufacturing is arranged, but you never know. He also said he is providing warranty work on any sold product.
Damn! Crazy! I'm assuming they'll keep producing racks that accept the same sort of bag attachment system... I hope they don't decide to redesign their entire system, ha!