Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #25096
Chivvalry
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonztheyeti View Post
also they write bs tickets to raise revenue.
I'm guessing it might happen... and some cops might be dicks about it... but I'm also guessing that almost all cops are actually just doing their job.

Don't get me wrong... when I see those "special cases" where a LEO or group of LEOs goes off the reservation it completely infuriates me. Cops are supposed to be the GOOD guys and when they act badly it's a betrayal of the public trust.

But for the most part most cops are really good people and just trying to get the job done. That cop probably wasnt being a dick and deliberately trying to cause a crash.
2011 WR250R
Chivvalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #25097
bdb1513
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post
Yeah, cops get killed frequently by people slamming into their cars on the side of the road... people lookyloo and drive right into them.
Firemen and EMS too, I've been a fireman for 10 years and it's amazing how oblivious people are to emergency personnel on the side of the road.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #25098
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb1513 View Post
Firemen and EMS too, I've been a fireman for 10 years and it's amazing how oblivious people are to emergency personnel on the side of the road.
I don't think it's obliviousness...most American drivers (myself included some days) SUCK and they go where they look...you look at the flashy lights on the side of the road, you might steer there.

It's the same reason we look through the corners
Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #25099
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
funny...ive never seen a cop sitting mid corner during a track day....ride at the edge of your ability/knowledge on the public street..if you go down its your own fault...especially if you panic snatch at the front brake cause you see a cop.
the cop has no obligation to consider what some dumbass will do when they see him. He can park wherever he wants...that's just how it is.
Exactly. People never take responsibility for their own mistakes. It always has to be some else's fault. Sad state of America, but it has been this way for years.

I crash dirtbikes all the time.....but I have had three street/paved motorcycle accidents...two at the track and one on the street. Each time, they were my fault...as I had gone past the point where I was able to control the motorcycle, for various reasons. I was controlling the motorcycle, therefore it was my fault that the crash happened.

95% of motorcycle crashes are the rider's fault in way or another, but the rider never wants to take the blame.

I'll give 5% for impossible to predict weather conditions( sudden ice patch), and/or acts of God...deer jumping from side of road and knocking you off your bike( I have seen this one happen)., etc.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #25100
MattB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I will give it to RDTCU and Mambo Dave that his chosen spot would prove solid for catching those crossing DYL. Surprisingly I hadn't thought about that, maybe it's because I personally don't cross DYL except in passing situations.

@viverrid - Man can you ride a keyboard... I'm wondering if you can actually ride your bike as well.

Taken at a literal and slightly out of context, you are correct that my instincts suck if I grab a handful of brake mid-corner. What I'm getting at is that while I do know better, I can't say for sure if the "dog"/instinct in me would overcome my experience or not. Thankfully I can say that I never met a cop while at full lean.

Replying to this further seems a waste of time, but let me humor you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Nothing "dirty" about the cop. Marked unit in plain sight.
I never mentioned his car as an issue. "Dirty" referred simply to the chosen parking area for reasons of safety. Not everyone has past GP experience and skills like you man. Some folks are mere mortals.

Quote:
You want the cop to stop in the middle of a long straight so that riders can see him from a long distance away and slow down before getting to the cop? Yeah, that's what you want.
It is VERY COMMON for cops to sit where they can hit you on a straight or accelerating out of a turn well before you visually see them. If you think I am suggesting that I'd like him somewhere else because he would capture LESS speeders, you are foolish. I thought we'd already established that he's at one of the SLOWEST places to tag you in the video.

Quote:
Saying that a speed cop sitting where he can catch speeders is "dirty" is a whiny crybaby delicate little flower thing to say. The saying is "don't do the crime if you can't do the time", maybe there ought to be another one "don't do the crime if you'd crash when you realize someone saw you doing it".
Again, do you actually READ what is written? Absolutely NOWHERE do I cry about him writing speeders. To imply that I'm a "whiny crybaby delicate little flower" is awesome given that my record is fairly clean.

Quote:
Really, if a cop seeing you speeding makes you crash, then you shouldn't be speeding. Maybe you shouldn't be riding.
Oncemore, the context [at full lean] is missing from your statement. While I had thought that Casey Stoner was living in Austrailia post retirement, it's obvious that he has a house in Western Mass as well. Welcome to ADV Casey!

2000 Honda VFR :: 2002 BMW K1200RS :: 2008 Suzuki GSXR (Track) :: Honda CRF 70 (daughter) :: Honda CRF 80 (son) :: Honda CRF 150 (dad)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #25101
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
maybe it's because I personally don't cross DYL except in passing situations.
that's illegal no ?
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #25102
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
fonztheyeti,
You know of instances where LEOs where told to write tickets for revenue?

There was a story 3 or 4 years ago when a high ranking muckity muck from VA, DID tell the LEO that they were to go out and write as many tickets as they could to raise revenue. They wrote something like 7000 tickets in a weekend. I will see if I can find the story

EDIT
See story below!

http://www.businessinsider.com/virgi...ernment-2010-3

PFFOG screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 10:18 AM
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #25103
mabuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
that's illegal no ?
Depends on your state. I actually just learned of this law in Pennsylvania. The vehicle code states that you may in fact pass in a double yellow line zone, if you can do so safely. Not the exact verbiage of the law, but something along that line.

I do think it's only spelled out in a handful of state's vehicle codes though, not legal most places.

ETA: Forgot to add that you may only do this in PA if there are no "Do Not Pass" signs present. If those signs are up, you can not pass.
mabuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #25104
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuz View Post
Depends on your state. I actually just learned of this law in Pennsylvania. The vehicle code states that you may in fact pass in a double yellow line zone, if you can do so safely. Not the exact verbiage of the law, but something along that line.

I do think it's only spelled out in a handful of state's vehicle codes though, not legal most places.

ETA: Forgot to add that you may only do this in PA if there are no "Do Not Pass" signs present. If those signs are up, you can not pass.
In Ontario, it is not illegal as the lines are for guidance and suggestions, you may still pass if it is safe to do so.

The coppers may not like it and will certainly pay more attention to you for speed, etc, not to mention maybe not a great idea due to lack of visibility but there is nothing in the Provincial Highway Act that states it is illegal.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #25105
MattB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
that's illegal no ?
I never said that it WAS legal to pass on a DYL... again, enforcement of laws was NEVER my issue on this subject. My point, simply put, was choosing to park a police car in that spot posed a safety issue to motorcyclists. Just my opinion.

The irony here is that folks argue that photographers cause crashes taking pictures and yet some of you can't seem to fathom that a police cruiser parked where this guy was sitting might cause a few issues.

2000 Honda VFR :: 2002 BMW K1200RS :: 2008 Suzuki GSXR (Track) :: Honda CRF 70 (daughter) :: Honda CRF 80 (son) :: Honda CRF 150 (dad)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #25106
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
I never said that it WAS legal to pass on a DYL... again, enforcement of laws was NEVER my issue on this subject. My point, simply put, was choosing to park a police car in that spot posed a safety issue to motorcyclists. Just my opinion.

The irony here is that folks argue that photographers cause crashes taking pictures and yet some of you can't seem to fathom that a police cruiser parked where this guy was sitting might cause a few issues.
That is the problem with your line of thought. Neither the parked cop nor the photographers are riding the motorcycles. The motorcycle operator is responsible for the crash.

With your line of thought, what is next?? Should we start blaming the trees, the leaves, the grass?? When does the blame come back to the operator of the vehicle??
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #25107
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post

203?

Rob VB- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The rider would get done for child endangerment for have the kid like that as helmet looks to big no gear and cant torch the pegs .
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #25108
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,023
If he went down and hurt the kid, he would never forgive himself. Not worth it !!

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #25109
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Killboy failure Dragon Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
The rider would get done for child endangerment for have the kid like that as helmet looks to big no gear and cant torch the pegs .
The helmet may look to big, but the only thing they do for youth size small is throw bigger pads inside. My daughters first helmet looked huge, but it fit her head.

The deal breaker is the dangling feet. Guy should have taped down some. 2x4 blocks to the pegs :-)

I also picked up a belt with handles for my daughter to hang on to. Much better than just trying to grab my jacket.

If that kid slips, he is screwed
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #25110
Geoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote