Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
I did and my ire may have been misdirected at you. I just think SO many US buyers expect to walk in and find the PERFECT bike just sitting there when most of them will immediately modify them anyway!

The rest of us who have been through a few bikes just a want a manufacturer to put out a decent general bike that we can tailor to our needs/environment.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
I did and my ire may have been misdirected at you. I just think SO many US buyers expect to walk in and find the PERFECT bike just sitting there when most of them will immediately modify them anyway!
It's worse than that, they'll bitch about whatever it is. If it is good on the slab it isn't light enough or have the suspension or clearance for the dirt. If it is good in the dirt it is too light and gets blown around on the slab, and is too tall, and can't carry enough luggage for two-week trips camping on the road because the rear sub-frame isn't heavy enough. Blah bla blah it isn't perfect so why don't they make.....
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
It's worse than that, they'll bitch about whatever it is. If it is good on the slab it isn't light enough or have the suspension or clearance for the dirt. If it is good in the dirt it is too light and gets blown around on the slab, and is too tall, and can't carry enough luggage for two-week trips camping on the road because the rear sub-frame isn't heavy enough. Blah bla blah it isn't perfect so why don't they make.....
Yup. I see people complain about the DR650 being too heavy and clumsy for anything more technical than an NFS road. Then I see other people complaining that it's too light and twitchy for running miles of slab. For some it's too low. For some it's too high.

I just hop on and ride, slab or sand, whatever. Then I address what I need to for it to work for me.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
The last few posts hit home for me. I've had more bikes than I can shake a stick at, all have been good bikes. I have manged to talk myself out of keeping some due to me thinking they weren't quite "right".

I recently realized we are too specialized (not that it isn't necessary for some purposes) for what we currently "need" in my family. I have found that my now gone WR250X could have done anything, and in spite of various opinions, my KLX250S is equally capable to the WR250 albeit a little less "modern".

I certainly fall into the buy and modify bracket, much to my wallet's dismay. But it is true. You gotta find a good base to build upon and then go for it as needs determine. That base to my crew seems to be WR/DR/KLX.

Obviously different riders need different starting points for the elusive perfect bike.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 217
Don't forget the mighty TW200. It has a cult following because it's comfy and fun to ride. It will go anywhere, it's just not an interstate runner.
billmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
It's a shame the drz350 has a 39inch seat hight as they are on line cheap.
Why can an offroad bike be light and have a low seat as 34inch is the max I can fit means the wr450 road legal and the crf450 road legal ect are all out the window.

I can fit the seat of a 990adv but can't touch the ground on a 125 2/exc that seem mad in my eyes
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,270
I bought my DRZ400, and asolutely love it. I'm not sure why I'm still lusting after a 990/GS? With a fairing, better seat and bigger tank, I'd ride it cross country. As sexy as the big bikes are, these little (500cc and less) thumpers are pretty sweet.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmags View Post
Don't forget the mighty TW200. It has a cult following because it's comfy and fun to ride. It will go anywhere, it's just not an interstate runner.
Funny you'd add that as the Missus is riding an '08 T-Dub that has had many adventures recently!

Add to that we know a fellow who has done the TAT and more on his T-Dub. Great little bike.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #24
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
If nothing else, something with a more comfortable/wider seat.
The Yamaha WRR has a good seat, and it is wide. I use a sheepskin on top of it too. I have a large tank, Cee-Bailey windscreen, electric outlets, luggage system and more. My trips on that thing are typically 2500 miles over several days. As a former dirt rider, I don't understand why you would want something else? A smaller V-strom? Why would you want a 450lb 350?

I rode a KTM 950 for 60k miles all over the continent. The little Yamaha is probably more comfortable. It has a longer reach to the footpegs and the windscreen/large tank protect me without any buffeting at all. My only complaint is the footpegs are too far forward.

I think you should just start riding again on whatever is handy. It will clear up your misconceptions.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #25
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
So Honda builds you 2 bikes in this category OP and you don't like them... The CB500X and the NC700X (a 700 with 450 performance). No bike will do everything. It is a wonder any mfgrs want to do this at all after getting burned on this size bike in the 80s (Dakez has it right). If you are a runt you need to know about KoubaLinks. The aftermarket exists to customize your bike in every way. A seat can be made any way you want it by a number of companies. You need to remember a bike on a showroom floor is set up just as it came in the crate and might fit a guy 6-4! You have to imagine how adjustable it is.It is not easy, nor is this a hobby for the lazy, non-mechanical person.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #26
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,284
These threads are comical and frustrating at the same time

Why the hang up on displacement? The current 650's from Japan only make the HP a mild-tuned 400-450 makes anyways, and we're talking about an ADV bike they're all gonna start life in the 300+lb range anyways, then get all kinds of shit strapped to them, so I don't buy the "weight" argument either.

Why the hang up on Japanese? Is it the false belief that they are somehow immune to maintenance needs and mechanical failure?

Why the hang up on seat height? It's physics...the bike has to fit someplace (bottom of skid to top of seat), and then you need ground clearance...cuz we're such burly off-roaders! Put your damn feet on the damn pegs and RIDE!

If you can get past the "hang ups", you would see there are bikes out there that will fit your needs already
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #27
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
You will have to pardon my ignorance as I have never taken a cross country trip and minus a couple gravel roads it's been 35 years since I've piloted a dirt bike but I'm wondering why has no manufacturer released a sub 500cc 80% street, 20% dirt ADV bike. I know there are a couple dirt oriented offerings and I'm familiar with the current crop of 650's but I'm thinking more along the lines of something in the 300-400cc range. Something like a baby Wee Strom.
I'm certainly not suggesting there should be, I'm more just curious as to why a bike like this would fail as a cross country mover.
Because in America, bigger is better. A $8000 300cc bike will not sell.

You may want to look at the dr650 , xt series, and tw. 35 years is a long time, are you sure you don't want a dirt bike, and run from the ranger one more time?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #28
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
I have to second the Yamaha wr250 -- I have one set up just like pantah, safari tank, Russell seat, wolfman luggage. You don't need anything else unless you want to do 2 up.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #29
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Feck I thought this was a thread about under water ktm's.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #30
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
The Yamaha WRR has a good seat, and it is wide. I use a sheepskin on top of it too. I have a large tank, Cee-Bailey windscreen, electric outlets, luggage system and more. My trips on that thing are typically 2500 miles over several days. As a former dirt rider, I don't understand why you would want something else? A smaller V-strom? Why would you want a 450lb 350?

I rode a KTM 950 for 60k miles all over the continent. The little Yamaha is probably more comfortable. It has a longer reach to the footpegs and the windscreen/large tank protect me without any buffeting at all. My only complaint is the footpegs are too far forward.

I think you should just start riding again on whatever is handy. It will clear up your misconceptions.

I'm not sure where you are seeing misconceptions as my op was a question and not an answer. And I ride every day, year round mostly on a 250cc scooter, which lead me to start the thread. The scooter is 360lbs, has storage, great weather protection and is fairly comfortable, it just sucks off road.

I'm not sure why a 250-350cc 80/20 bike would need to weigh 450lbs but if you say so.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote