Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 857
Check your sag. If the rears too low it'll get a wobble. Also I have found that running 19/17, its best to raise the forks in the trees up to the 2nt line. That ought to correct the bike caused wobble but of course there are many contributing factors. Aerodynamics has never been a strong suit with the ADV. I was once almost blown off the road by a passing semi in NM once...

As for all day aero comfort, you are right. It has been talked about to death! Everybody's different. Seat height, torso height, what kind of mirrors, windscreen, helmet, etc... I'm 6'2 on a 950S with SuperDuke mirrors, a touratech shorty dakar windscreen, Renazco tall seat and an Arai XD and its ok. No windscreen is better imho, or cut down to just over the dash.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Given my height, I should also consider a set of risers - stock height is a bit awkward when standing up.
Absolutely. I've got the DirtnBlood risers (don't know if he still makes them) and I could probably use another 1/2" when standing. The risers make a huge difference. I also have Fastway foot pegs in the low position.

Quote:
Going back to the head shake, do you think that a "street" steering damper would help? I wonder if the effective reduced trail from the 19 up front exacerbates any inherent shaking from turbulence.
A lot of guys use them. I'd start with the suspension adjustments that have already been mentioned here.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Aeroflow aeroscreen

After looking at this thread (and the windscreen disgust thread) I took a punt and ended up buying an expensive (to ship to Australia) Aeroflow standard height screen. I am 5'10" / 178cm, average build sitting on a standard seat with sheepskin cover. I suffered terribly due to (my) head shake due to turbulent air coming over the top of the standard screen, made the bike very unenjoyable, uncomfortable and tiring to ride.

The Aeroflow screen has made a huge difference, a different bike to ride. I was worried as the top of the screen is in my dirt road 'line of vision' but it has forced me to look a little further up the road (as you are supposed to) and I can look through for near obstacles. I cannot emphasize enough what a difference this screen has made for me, YMMV.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I'm fairly sure this shake hasn't happened before so I'm wondering if the panniers (either weight or aerodynamics) are causing this.
Any vehicle will create behind it a flow pattern which is known as Karman vortex street. Wikipedia has a nice animation of it. This is basically a series of vortices creating a pulsating pressure field, in which you are entering while passing. This field is acting on the side surfaces of the bike which are plenty big. On top of that, these bikes are not famous for being super stable, therefore it is not difficult to encounter what you describe. You could of course improve handling by changing suspension settings, but there is no known remedy that applies for all. You have to experiment with the clickers.
Panniers affect the overall dynamics and if nothing else, they will slow weave down, but in other cases they might even be the cause of it.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,457
We changed our mirrors, I have the opposite prob to you at 5'6.5".

My XD4 was getting buffeted and it was the stock mirrors, we have a 690 screen on our SE and that works perfect but with the mirror height they sent dirty air to each side of my helmet.

Given I had a broken neck that is now held together with Ti plates this agitated me big time.

We fitted mirrors that sit further out (improving rear view) and also lower and that fixed our prob completely.

I know the adventure is different but something else to consider, maybe take your mirrors off to try it ... food for thought, hope you get sorted.

mousitsas is right to when you have lanky long suspension travel you do get flex and movement, my 990 SMR, shorter travel etc was rock solid
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #21
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Talking Aeroflw

Yet again Aeroflow works it's magic on my bikes, 2 BMW and 1 KTM 990.
The KTM is now a real touring beast.
Mind you Aeroflow pays me hughe amomounts of money to write this
Old 10-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
jamesinthekeys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Madstad

Madstad and the wings screen is a real screen as well! I must say after doing 3 trips up to the mountains average 3300 miles, It is Quiet and relaxed I can open my Neotech at 100 miles n hour ano listen to music with no turbulence. Pretty awesome.
jamesinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote