deleted

Lycan1 screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 09:11 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,801
The Horsey Crowd!

Convinced them to leave the road closed so only they could use it.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Convinced them to leave the road closed so only they could use it.
I agree, it had little to do with the repair costs and more to do with the non-motorized lobby wanting to keep it closed. That and I think they felt keeping it closed would help prevent the hooligan types who frequent the McClean creek area, particularily the long weekend mayhem makers from getting into the Sheep River Park area. Its to bad that the responsible ones end up paying the price too. I would like to see it re-opened.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
JACjac
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks for the pics

I am curious about this trail, but have been too timid (law-abiding?) to go through. I have ridden to the closure on the north end and then to the south end closure. It looks as though it is about 10km from closure to closure.

Now you've inspired me and I think I'll make a go of it before this season ends. I ride a little 250 so getting through is a non-issue. Besides, it looks like there isn't much wrong with that road, as you pointed out.

The comment on the "horsey folk", as Red Cat called them, reminds me of something that happened a few weeks back. I was out puttering around the Forestry Trunk Road and rode up to Limestone Mountain. On the way back I stopped for gas at Mountain Aire and then decided to go west to explore. I had no real idea what I was going to find. Well, it turns out that road goes to Ya Ha Tinda and was packed with horse trailers etc. Seriously, the camping area at the end looked like a small city with horse trailers instead of houses.

But, I digress.... the subject of my rant here is the barely veiled hostility I got from these people. I was riding at a mild pace for 2 reasons; one, I was behind a horse trailer dust cloud much of the time, and two, I was just riding a laid-back pace. One time when I was in 'clean air', I came over a blind crest at a slow speed (say 40km/h) and there were 2 people on horseback about 50m in front of me, in the middle of the road! I locked up to avoid them and all I got was cold stares from the 2 f*ckers! No wave, no acknowledgement. I was down to a crawl by the time I passed them and just stared right back. What makes it worse is that I was likely going slower than 1/2 of the guys towing travel trailers and horse trailers in and out of there!

I kept on going (remember, I didn't know where the road went yet) and after a few minutes I reached horse trailer city. The road continued (PUBLIC ROAD, I might add) and there were no signs/restrictions so I kept going. I just putt-putted along and passed several people walking, a few on horseback and one mule team hauling a wagon. When not under heavy acceleration my bike is very quiet. I was down to 1st gear idle speed at all times when anywhere near people or livestock. I got so many stink-eye stares and the mule team guy actually yelled something at me. If I had stopped I wouldn't have been surprised if I had been physically assaulted.

Anyways, it bothered me. I didn't do anything wrong but kind of felt like a criminal. There are no signs restricting entry; it is a public area. I wasn't going fast and my bike is not loud. I won't go back on my bike, although it is a beautiful area. If there were ANY signs telling me to beware/not enter/stop I would have gladly obeyed and turned around. There were none.

Sorry, thread hijack over.... this thread just reminded me of it. I meant to write to the Ya Ha Tinda people to complain and suggest they post some signs if they don't want "non-horsies" to enter. Maybe I still will write to them.
JACjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
I have ridden my XR650R to both closures and have always wondered what condition lay past those gates.... now I have confirmed the bs. I have ridden a horse in that area as well as hiked since no other type of activity is allowed. What I found was quite a suprise, The horse trails are in equal or worse shape than many of the beat up quad trails in Mclean Creek. I now know that horseback riding and towing your 50 foot horse trailer with your 1 ton pickup is far more damaging than any dualsport motorcycle could ever be.

All this is a great shame since the sheep river has some unbelievable single track... sadly only the horseback riders will get to see it and damage it while we get to watch from our hiking boots.
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I ride Maclean Creek and if you ask me the some of the most beat up sections are huge fields of post holes caused by cattle. I've seen the same thing caused by horses on hiking trails in Banff National Park. Many of the single track trails in Maclean don't look any different from a mountain bike trail. Yet off road bikes are somehow the enemy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post
I have ridden my XR650R to both closures and have always wondered what condition lay past those gates.... now I have confirmed the bs. I have ridden a horse in that area as well as hiked since no other type of activity is allowed. What I found was quite a suprise, The horse trails are in equal or worse shape than many of the beat up quad trails in Mclean Creek. I now know that horseback riding and towing your 50 foot horse trailer with your 1 ton pickup is far more damaging than any dualsport motorcycle could ever be.

All this is a great shame since the sheep river has some unbelievable single track... sadly only the horseback riders will get to see it and damage it while we get to watch from our hiking boots.
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
tinbasher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Gorge roady

Came on to that road by accident a coupla years ago. Gates wide open. Went for a quick rip across, came back, realized it was so much fun that I did it twice more. Still one of the best roads to ride fast lots of ups and downs. Don't fix it just open the gates. It doesn't need repairs, it will only get better.
tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
KyleKelso
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Well I went for a rip on my new KLX250 last night and after spotting this loop on google maps (from Bragg Creek through Mclean Creek to Turner Valley and back to south Calgary) I did a quick google search and found this thread, so thanks for the beta! Unfortunately the flooding this year did not make it better, it is now impassible. I did the route from the north as well and the first few obsticles look the same but eventually I hit a huge culvert washout that was probably a 6' vertical drop on either side of a substantial gap into the flowing creek below. Not sure how the creek crossing would be but it looked pretty marshy to me. It was full dark by this point and I was alone so I didn't look too hard at crossing before I made a quick retreat.

I just wanted to post a recent update on this trail as it was certainly a fun one. A bit of lumber and it could probably be back in action ;)

Also as a new member I just want to say Hi to everyone, especially the Calgary locals likely to be reading this!
KyleKelso is offline   Reply With Quote