ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #7216
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 2,059
Silk Monkey when were you up here in Alaska? Did you do the Top of the World or stay at Thompson's Eagle Claw campground in Tok?
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #7217
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer
 
Chad_NC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lillington, NC
Oddometer: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaethDekar View Post
I was getting off my bike at my local bank when a lady walking to her car chimes in "That looks a lot more fun then this thing" I look at her car and it is a CL AMG 63.

I laughed and said, "I don't know that car can handle quite a lot. If you really want we could trade."

"I appreciate the offer but I worked too hard for this."
So there was a lady(with money) that liked the bike. You did get a number if she was cute right? That seems like one of the good experiences. She was complimenting your bike. People just look at mine weird.


You got this via Crapatalk - now Free
__________________
Chad
09 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
09 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #7218
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer
 
Contevita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Gulfport, MS
Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaethDekar View Post
I was getting off my bike at my local bank when a lady walking to her car chimes in "That looks a lot more fun then this thing" I look at her car and it is a CL AMG 63.

I laughed and said, "I don't know that car can handle quite a lot. If you really want we could trade."

"I appreciate the offer but I worked too hard for this."

I'm not surprised... It still had dealer plate and my bike is worth 1/20th of what her car costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
So there was a lady(with money) that liked the bike. You did get a number if she was cute right? That seems like one of the good experiences. She was complimenting your bike. People just look at mine weird.


You got this via Crapatalk - now Free
That's how vintage pornos start. Too bad you didn't take her for a ride. I should keep a spare helmet in one of my bags for occasions like that.

...chicken chicken brown cow...
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #7219
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer
 
SilkMoneyLove's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Silk Monkey when were you up here in Alaska? Did you do the Top of the World or stay at Thompson's Eagle Claw campground in Tok?
August 21 through 30.

I did the TOTWH. Made it to Dawson and I was beat so I got a room at the hotel.

I didn't camp a single time. Was able to get fairly cheap rooms. Dawson was $80 for a room above the bar...

I stayed 40 or so miles outside of the main towns and got good rates. Cabin outside of Glennallenn was $50 for the night.

Well, except for the lodge on Muncho lake. That was $150 for the night, but the place was nice, warm and dry. I was wet and cold :-) they had great food too.

My FG Kilimanjaro jacket soaked through :-(
I hear that Klim is spendy but it works.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #7220
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Central fly-over land.
Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
I was just pulling on my helmet next to my V-Strom outside Wally Worldwhen a car pulled up two spots over and a lady in the back yelled "I RIDE A HARLEY!!!!".

Um. OK. Thanks for the information, I guess.

At the time I was a little pissed because the store was out of ATF (yeah, really), so I couldn't compose a reply other than "Uh, OK. Good for you!"
You gave a fine answer to an odd person. She was probably either a new rider full of excitement (like we all were once) or she strived for a Harley and finally got one, once again making her full of excitement. No need to get tribal and territorial in a case like this back at her. She basically wanted the world to know she was part of the motorcycle community. Just because she is on the wrong side of the tracks from you is no reason to be an ass, as some on here have suggested you should have been.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #7221
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Central fly-over land.
Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyr View Post
OTOH, I listened to one Harley rider explaining to another one that horizontally opposed engines would cause too much vibration.
The service manager at an exclusive BMW dealer explained the same thing to me. Something to do with the harmonics of a horizontally opposed twin engine making a high frequency buzz that most don't notice, but those who do are really bothered by. Too bad, because those people don't get to enjoy R BMWs
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #7222
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA
Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
So there was a lady(with money) that liked the bike. You did get a number if she was cute right? That seems like one of the good experiences. She was complimenting your bike. People just look at mine weird.


You got this via Crapatalk - now Free
She wasn't 'cute' per say. She was in her late 50's-60's. Not my cup of tea.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #7223
DustyRags
Idiot
 
DustyRags's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: The Beast, California
Oddometer: 432
...or a sticker on the bike
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #7224
farqhuar
Lone Wolf
 
farqhuar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Melbun, Oztralia
Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
So there was a lady(with money) that liked the bike. You did get a number if she was cute right? That seems like one of the good experiences. She was complimenting your bike. People just look at mine weird.
She wasn't complimenting the bike at all. She was an egotist trying to draw attention to her own vehicle (and her wealth) knowing that the rider would have to to take a look in order to compare.
__________________
Garry from Oz - Burgman Adventurer.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #7225
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer
 
Chad_NC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lillington, NC
Oddometer: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
She wasn't complimenting the bike at all. She was an egotist trying to draw attention to her own vehicle (and her wealth) knowing that the rider would have to to take a look in order to compare.
Since none of us except one were there, we can only read the text and not hear the tone that says what she really meant. When I had my VFR I got a bunch of compliments. With my KLR people liked my "dirt bike". With all three Uly's people just looked at me like "what the hell is that". The V-Strom people said was ugly. I still like my Buell the best.


You got this via Crapatalk
__________________
Chad
09 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
09 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #7226
farqhuar
Lone Wolf
 
farqhuar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Melbun, Oztralia
Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
Since none of us except one were there, we can only read the text and not hear the tone that says what she really meant.
I disagree that you needed to be there, this is basic human psychology 101.
__________________
Garry from Oz - Burgman Adventurer.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #7227
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer
 
SilkMoneyLove's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
You gave a fine answer to an odd person. She was probably either a new rider full of excitement (like we all were once) or she strived for a Harley and finally got one, once again making her full of excitement. No need to get tribal and territorial in a case like this back at her. She basically wanted the world to know she was part of the motorcycle community. Just because she is on the wrong side of the tracks from you is no reason to be an ass, as some on here have suggested you should have been.
+ 1

Some people don't have the same social skills. Blurting out statements like "I ride a Harley" might be from excitement or just the way their brain makes connections. No need to be down on it.
Or...think of this scenario, she could have been in the car with family/in laws and was just dying to start up a convo with another rider to get a moment of mental peace. :-)
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #7228
waveydavey
happy times!!
 
waveydavey's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Pulling dragons from the ground again
Oddometer: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
She wasn't complimenting the bike at all. She was an egotist trying to draw attention to her own vehicle (and her wealth) knowing that the rider would have to to take a look in order to compare.
I bet all your days are filled with drama.
__________________
FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #7229
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Plymouth, MI
Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
I disagree that you needed to be there, this is basic human psychology 101.
Or maybe she was saying "Here I just spent an ass ton of money and you're still having more fun than me. I feel ripped off, pathetic, and jealous of you. Now do me"
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #7230
double_entendre
Ticking away the....
 
double_entendre's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Oddometer: 3,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
The first time I rode a boxer, I said to myself "who the f*ck designs a bike with torque steer?"

I still want one.
I still chuckle when I hit the starter or blip the throttle on my new I me GSA and feel the bike crank to the side.

For a guy raised on metrics, it's pretty damned funny, but I love it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Harley-BMW sniping.
__________________
"I have an offer for $1600 shipped behind you, but I'm not a dick so you're first in line. "
--scibeer
double_entendre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014