Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
my biggest fear at night is moose, deer will stare at ya and their eyeballs glow, moose on the other hand are much bigger and darker and have zero fear of standing in the middle of the road with their backside to ya
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
Old 10-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #18
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDan View Post
Doug,
How well does the kit for the sidecases reflect? I stuck some cheap strips from Ace Hardware on my cases (R12R), and they reflect light 180* perfectly. Anything that is not aligned with the sight angle doesn't reflect very well. Unfortunately, headlights are several degrees lower than eyes, so the strips are both ugly and ineffective in showing the back of the bike in traffic.
-dan
The reflective material shown on my RT cases in the above photo is Scotchlite 5100R if I remember correctly and it is VERY reflective. In most daylight situations it's invisible, but at night it is really bright. I was on my GS following my son on the RT at night once and was actually surprised at how much light that stuff returns from a normal following position. I also had some strips on the sides of the cases for any traffic coming at me from a higher angle than the normal position of behind me in the lane. I wanted to be seen, but not in an over-the-top manner like some of those tractor-trailer rigs that have 1000 lights covering every square inch of the rig, you know? The 3M SOLAS (safety of life at sea) stuff is phenomenally reflective but it doesn't blend with the bike's colors during daylight.

Doug
Old 10-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
easyrider88
POsIng PrO

Oddometer: 282
o deer

i can understand youre fear of night riding.ive hit a couple deer at nite so im a bit skeerd of the little critters myself.mostly i still love riding at nite.i KEEP my speed below 40 and travel in the right lane close to th white line.and i use my 4 way flashers alot for cars when they come up from behind.im never in a hurry at nite.havent hit any lately but ive seen LOTS.good luck!!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post

I noticed that I speed more during the daylight hours and I tend to keep the speed down to the actual speed limit at night.

You really want to pucker up? Ride at night during a rain storm with a cross wind.

At night I slow down and don't out run my lights. For critters it seems the most active times are just before and after dawn or dusk.

My last encounter with a deer (doe) I didn't see her until she had moved, she was already on the fog line on the other side of a two lane highway. She turned sideways and started crossing the road slowly with her nose about 2 feet above the highway moving sideways back and forth with her ears pinned back. She apparently smelled a predator and was following a scent trail -or her fawn. I knew she could see me with my high beams on and I started hitting the brakes pretty hard. She kept coming with her nose still only two feet above the road. I ended up on the other side of my fog line and had the front brakes on so hard I almost lifted the rear tire. When I finally stopped she was about 3 feet from me - I could have reached out and slapped her. THEN she bolted back across the road. Deer are always unpredictable at best. A week later some other rider tagged her a mile away from where I encountered her. Deer sometimes just don't stop - or they bolt when you get close to them. Mixed bag those are...

Rain slows me down even further, plus you can't tell how deep those potholes are when they're filled with water. Those will get your attention in a hurry.

If I have two hours or so riding into the sunrise or sunset - I'll wait for either the sun to come up or go down and then hop on the bike and ride. Having that much glare into "everyone's" eyes makes riding simply dangerous in my opinion.

Adding a pair of high power LEDs tied into my high beam really helps at night.

WindSailor screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 12:31 PM
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #21
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Spring for the SOLAS Tape. It's super bright from every angle. I got it off ebay fairly cheap.

That was just a 2 inch strip angled down on my jesse bags.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
Jumping Jack Flash
USG Vagabond

Oddometer: 101
Thanks for the SOLAS tape tip. A roll of that stuff is under 10 bucks and as I ride to work before dawn most days and enjoy night riding this is getting ordered today.

**edit**Ordering in strips that is. I misread the pricing....it is NOT $10/roll!!! A twelve foot length is $16 bucks...although priceless for additional visibility in low light/dark.
Jumping Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #23
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,030
Lol I never really had any concerns riding at night. Basically it is the same as riding in the day except it is dark out. The same rules apply as during the day. I really do not get why some find it so stressful to ride in the rain or ride at night, it really is a non-issue unless you make it one in your head.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
wjpjump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
just after dusk or shortly before dawn ( dont ask) seems to really bring out the critters out. be extra aware around bar closing times( 2 am here in cali)
wjpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #25
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,399
I was riding in the dark often due to my work for a few years. Adding the 3M Diamond reflective tape seemed to help. From the rear the stuff is really bright. I put it on my pelican bags. Red on the rear, yellow on the sides. I put the black reflective tape on my FJR, looks black during the day and reflects white at night. I didn't mind my DS bikes looking like a school bus at night, but I didn't want the FJR so ugly...

Most bikes benefit from good quality low powered auxiliary driving lights to stand out. And one or two strong led spot beams to come on with the high beams.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 383
+1 on the SOLAS tape. I have the white on both of my panniers (sides, front, and back) as well as the back of my bike. People who ride with me tell me that my bike is easy to see at night. Several of my friends have bought some and put it on their bikes after seeing how mine lights up at night.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
Old 10-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #27
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
SOLAS* retroreflective tape is the brightest at a very narrow reflective angle.

DOT C2 red or white reflective tape is almost as bright over a very wide reflective angle. This is the tape used on truck trailers, etc.

Engineering reflective tape comes in colors but is less reflective.

http://www.colebrothers.com/articles...tive_tape.html
*Safety Of Life At Sea...the international safety regulations for ships and seamen.

Wear a Class 3 safety "vest" with reflective strips on the body and on the short sleeves. Don't wear a back pack or use a tall tail bag that hides the stripes.

Aim your headlights to put the light as far out as possible without blinding on coming drivers. Consider upgrading your headlight bulb. (No blue bulbs, pls.) Brighter bulbs use more expensive gas in the bulb, better center the filament in the optical center of the reflector, burn hotter for a shorter life. A standard 60 watt high/55 watt low beam H4 bulb for your V-Strom is the max wattage for the stock wiring, but you can get brighter, shorter lived 60/55w bulbs. Phillips Xtreme Power or Narva RangePower are good choices. A wiring harness with relays is a help. The Osram Rallye 70/65w bulb rated at +50% light output is a good choice with the relays.

Keep in mind that however you light up your bike or yourself, present a view that the motorist recognizes as a motorcycle. Spots of brightness here and there won't get the message through to drivers that are tired, thinking about work or home, talking, eating, shaving, etc.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #28
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Same as the Daylight except you need to be hyper-vigilant for animals. (2 and 4 legged ones)

exactly. critters! deer especially. socal it's easy at times to almost forget about them when riding in the urbs or burbs... not so much out in the country but it's really nothing compared to northern cali or other places. seeing the eyes glowing at you or the deer standing on the side of the road is a bit un-nerving. dealt with it in cages before without any stress, (any multi-thousand pound steel beast with insurance will do) but its a big difference riding the bike cruising through the forests at night.

skipping the critters... it took a while to get used to riding the bike at night on the back roads, but I just dial it back a bit (ok at times substantially) and roll. other vehicles on the road don't concern me any more at night than day. perhaps even less so since we all have headlights on and therefore are a typically a bit more visable.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #29
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
I do not ride after dark and before dawn, I wait 1-2hrs after daylight.

I like riding and don't want to take unnecessary risks.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #30
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
These posts from Southerners have me cracking up!

When I lived in Dixie, at night I ran into drunks, drunks with no lights on driving in the wrong lane on purpose, drunk armadillos, indian burial mounds, giant snakes and even a couple of drunk ranchers with one seriously spooked (drunk) horse.

I think this is why Southern Gothic novels are so superior to anything a Yankee can write......there is just far more bizarre, mythical and drunk shenanigans to write about.
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote