Old 10-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #18377
atreiou
XR 650R Rider

Oddometer: 60
something like this ?
in the pic a XR 650R with a handbuilt brake tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
Mine is set up the same way....but here's the problem. One time, I hit something. Something hard. At high speed. With the underside of my brake pedal. The result was a small hole punched into the bottom of the clutch cover. I can't push up on the brake pedal and make the two connect, but wtih enough force (and aparently speed), the brake pedal will bend enough so that the inboard corner of the top of the brake pedal will make contact with the clutch cover and punch the small hole. I only found the hole because a fine coating of oil-dust-grime was collecting in the area. I couldnt find the hole until I layed down on the ground and looked up..."Oh, so THAT'S where the oil is comming from". It was an easy patch with some JB Weld, but I'd prefer not to go through this again. Any suggestions? (other than not hitting hard things at high rates of speed?)
atreiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #18378
drdfblackm
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 819
Anyone know of parts source for Edelbrock Quicksilver carbs. I need a few things. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #18379
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Took my Xr offroad for the first time on a trail ride, mixed single track and open trails. And my left radiator cracked :/

Unibiker gaurds, hodakaguy brace and Acerbis tank and I still cracked a radiator.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #18380
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
smoking 650r

Hello, picked up a 02 650r with very low miles on it and the problem it has is it smokes like crazy on start up and then stops once it is warm. I know about valve seals but I cant believe they would be worn on a bike with so low of hours. OEM sprockets and chain that are hardly used. Pulled of the carb and it was filthy inside because the bike has been sitting for quite a while. And then i looked inside the intake with a flashlight and one intake valve is very clean looking and the other one is wet and black looking at its base. Is this a sign the intake valves are cooked? Could a very dirty carb or over rich condition cause it to smoke? I haven't rode it enough to see any oil use . The plug was black and wet which makes me think it is getting to much fuel, but I would think if it was burning oil it would be more caked looking then it is. Any ideas?

brayjay screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 06:04 PM
brayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #18381
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjay View Post
Hello, picked up a 02 650r with very low miles on it and the problem it has is it smokes like crazy on start up and then stops once it is warm. I know about valve seals but I cant believe they would be worn on a bike with so low of hours. Pulled of the carb and it was filthy inside and looked inside the intake with a flashlight and one intake valve is very clean looking and the other one is wet and black looking at its base. Is this a sign the intake valves are cooked? Could a very dirty carb or over rich condition cause it to smoke?
i would say if your carb is as dirty as it is along with the smoking, then yes you probably are due for a head job, possibly rings, and take a good look at your air filtration system, because that's is the root cause of the problems.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #18382
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
i would say if your carb is as dirty as it is along with the smoking, then yes you probably are due for a head job, possibly rings, and take a good look at your air filtration system, because that's is the root cause of the problems.
I did notice that inside of the air box had some dust in it. It had a k&N in it. This bike looks almost new, hard to believe the valves and rings are gone already. I guess maybe it got dusted then. One other thing is when I look inside the cylinder the top of the piston is shiny clean and wet looking. If it was burning oil would it not be caked with carbon?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #18383
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjay View Post
I did notice that inside of the air box had some dust in it. It had a k&N in it. This bike looks almost new, hard to believe the valves and rings are gone already. I guess maybe it got dusted then. One other thing is when I look inside the cylinder the top of the piston is shiny clean and wet looking. If it was burning oil would it not be caked with carbon?
it is very much a no no to run these bikes with K&N filters. go get yourself a replacement foam filter. I have yet to use my NoToil filters with the biodegradable oil, but i know that cleaning the filter with the other type of oil was a PITA. i'm sure others will chime in on the subject.

As for piston, that is peculiar. I have no answer.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #18384
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
it is very much a no no to run these bikes with K&N filters. go get yourself a replacement foam filter. I have yet to use my NoToil filters with the biodegradable oil, but i know that cleaning the filter with the other type of oil was a PITA. i'm sure others will chime in on the subject.

As for piston, that is peculiar. I have no answer.
I knew about the K&N filters letting dust in. Bought this bike sight unseen. The carb was not dirty from dirt or sand but from old gas. The float , main jet and pilot jet were green colored This bike has been sitting for a while. I have an 06 650r that runs perfect to compare to and the piston does not look shiny clean. Makes me think it is being washed by too much fuel maybe. I am almost certain if it was burning oil the top of the piston would be black. Blown head gasket? There is no oil in the rad or water in the oil; though. If I do end up needing a top end rebuild anyone have any recommended shops to do the head? Precision Concepts? XRs only?

brayjay screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 07:35 PM
Old 10-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #18385
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
Anyone know of parts source for Edelbrock Quicksilver carbs. I need a few things. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The problem is you can't find parts. You can still find whole carbs, just not parts. Mine is sitting in a file drawer waiting on the secret cache to be found. In the meantime I'm using a Mikuni TM-40 pumper from Powerbarn. Came set up close and don't miss the Eddy much, except when I'm going from Texas to Colorado!

'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure SOLD
'05 Honda XR650R
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Oddfellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #18386
5hortbus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Reputable suspension shop/guy in Chicagoland.

I need to add my big guy springs to my ride and possibly valving for the forks and Shock. 230 lbs plus bigger tank, etc. requires it.

Health prohibits me from doing it myself in the cold. Wife has nixed the work in the house idea. So, I need to have someone else handle my "winter project".

Trying to keep the work local, if possible. I corss posted in the regional forum to see if something pops there. But, I figured the XR experience couldn't hurt.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #18387
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
Took my Xr offroad for the first time on a trail ride, mixed single track and open trails. And my left radiator cracked :/

Unibiker gaurds, hodakaguy brace and Acerbis tank and I still cracked a radiator.
I've ate shit many of times, hardcore. Got a blow out and wiped out in a race (damn near broke my ribs, felt like it!), bounced down descending a hill climb, and endo'd on a huge jump at the MX track (freaking arm pump)*. My og rads are still good. But I've always had the Clarke 4.3. Seems like the Acerbis likes to crush rads. Is the 4.3 not an option?

*over about 5 years, I don't have THAT bad of luck :P

bamfslap screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 09:27 PM
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #18388
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,344
I read somewhere that xrs only does a rear brake cooler bvut can't find one in their cattledog. does one exist and do you have a picture of one or some thing like it?
Cheers
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #18389
MCVL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
There are needles and throttle cables here, but if you need anything else, you'll probably have to make it
http://stores.ebay.com/ATV-Galaxy/_i...4.l1581&_pgn=1
MCVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #18390
QDogg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Funny, I have the same problem.
About 2000kms ago, I installed new piston, rings, valves/guides/seals, cam chain, stage 2 cam etc and has been running sweet as.
Until just recently, has started blowing a bit of smoke when cold. Goes away when it's warmed up...valve clearances checked and fine.
Still scratching my head on this one too