ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #18361
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo Loco View Post
Just spent some time on the motor. Cylinder and head are still good. I was just getting things tore apart and laid out. I'll do some more examining tomorrow. Found the rocker tip down towards the bottom of the cam chain.

Looks like a chain guide EXPLODED inside the motor. I actually found it a bit amusing. It was like a treasure hunt for little pieces of scuzzy black trash.

Gonna grab a tool from my local bike shop tomorrow and split the cases.

By the looks of the wrist pin and small end of the rod, it's really going to be hit or miss on if the bottom end is still good.
YUk! What do you suppose went first? Rocker? Then the chain guide?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #18362
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 678
The little giant loop tank bag was made for the Xr650r Acerbis tank, no joking, the owner has one.

I just bought a Great Basin to compliment my tank bag :)
__________________
2000 Xr650r!
KustomizingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #18363
SkidMark:-)
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Uganda
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
The little giant loop tank bag was made for the Xr650r Acerbis tank, no joking, the owner has one.

I just bought a Great Basin to compliment my tank bag :)
I already have a GL coyote so know they make great stuff - my only hesitation is the capacity...
SkidMark:-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #18364
Trigxrr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Kingman AZ
Oddometer: 89
I have a question ; Is the back brake pedal suppose to be so far in under the clutch cover , If your sitting on it and look down at the pedal , Only about an inch of the pedal sticks out , I am wondering if it got pushed in ?? Braking is hit or miss when I put my foot down

Trigxrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #18365
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer
 
mitchn06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: SoDak
Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigxrr View Post
I have a question ; Is the back brake pedal suppose to be so far in under the clutch cover , If your sitting on it and look down at the pedal , Only about an inch of the pedal sticks out , I am wondering if it got pushed in ?? Braking is hit or miss when I put my foot down
if it is an issue, bend it out so you can use it. it is potentially a safety issue as well. if you put your toe down to stop and don't stop,
__________________
2000 Honda XR650R (Sold) LINK
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 NE
mitchn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #18366
bigtrailie
Rough idle
 
bigtrailie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jackson, MI
Oddometer: 687
Brake Pedal

Mine is set up the same way....but here's the problem. One time, I hit something. Something hard. At high speed. With the underside of my brake pedal. The result was a small hole punched into the bottom of the clutch cover. I can't push up on the brake pedal and make the two connect, but wtih enough force (and aparently speed), the brake pedal will bend enough so that the inboard corner of the top of the brake pedal will make contact with the clutch cover and punch the small hole. I only found the hole because a fine coating of oil-dust-grime was collecting in the area. I couldnt find the hole until I layed down on the ground and looked up..."Oh, so THAT'S where the oil is comming from". It was an easy patch with some JB Weld, but I'd prefer not to go through this again. Any suggestions? (other than not hitting hard things at high rates of speed?)
__________________
Need my knees in the breeze through the trees.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #18367
Trigxrr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Kingman AZ
Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
if it is an issue, bend it out so you can use it. it is potentially a safety issue as well. if you put your toe down to stop and don't stop,
Yes I agree it could be a huge safety issue , I tried to get it out more but afraid it may snap off if I yank on it too hard , Planning to ride Sunday and dont want to break it , I put some heat on it with a heat gun and got it out a little , Guess I`ll keep trying

Part cost from 99 dollars - 113.00 yikes

thanks bigtrailie

Sure dont want holes in the clutch cover , Did that with my xt from the kick lever being to close

Trigxrr screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 02:45 PM
Trigxrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #18368
supernick
Gnarly Adventurer
 
supernick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigxrr View Post
Braking is hit or miss when I put my foot down
Yes.





supernick screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 10:18 AM
supernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #18369
atreiou
XR 650R Rider
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Verona - Italy
Oddometer: 61
something like this ?
in the pic a XR 650R with a handbuilt brake tip



Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
Mine is set up the same way....but here's the problem. One time, I hit something. Something hard. At high speed. With the underside of my brake pedal. The result was a small hole punched into the bottom of the clutch cover. I can't push up on the brake pedal and make the two connect, but wtih enough force (and aparently speed), the brake pedal will bend enough so that the inboard corner of the top of the brake pedal will make contact with the clutch cover and punch the small hole. I only found the hole because a fine coating of oil-dust-grime was collecting in the area. I couldnt find the hole until I layed down on the ground and looked up..."Oh, so THAT'S where the oil is comming from". It was an easy patch with some JB Weld, but I'd prefer not to go through this again. Any suggestions? (other than not hitting hard things at high rates of speed?)
atreiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #18370
drdfblackm
VeeFeer
 
drdfblackm's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Safe haven from Zombies aka Flagstaff AZ
Oddometer: 854
Anyone know of parts source for Edelbrock Quicksilver carbs. I need a few things. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
__________________
These are not the droids you are looking for.....
drdfblackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #18371
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 678
Took my Xr offroad for the first time on a trail ride, mixed single track and open trails. And my left radiator cracked :/

Unibiker gaurds, hodakaguy brace and Acerbis tank and I still cracked a radiator.
__________________
2000 Xr650r!
KustomizingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #18372
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: British Columbia
Oddometer: 245
smoking 650r

Hello, picked up a 02 650r with very low miles on it and the problem it has is it smokes like crazy on start up and then stops once it is warm. I know about valve seals but I cant believe they would be worn on a bike with so low of hours. OEM sprockets and chain that are hardly used. Pulled of the carb and it was filthy inside because the bike has been sitting for quite a while. And then i looked inside the intake with a flashlight and one intake valve is very clean looking and the other one is wet and black looking at its base. Is this a sign the intake valves are cooked? Could a very dirty carb or over rich condition cause it to smoke? I haven't rode it enough to see any oil use . The plug was black and wet which makes me think it is getting to much fuel, but I would think if it was burning oil it would be more caked looking then it is. Any ideas?

brayjay screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 05:04 PM
brayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #18373
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer
 
mitchn06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: SoDak
Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjay View Post
Hello, picked up a 02 650r with very low miles on it and the problem it has is it smokes like crazy on start up and then stops once it is warm. I know about valve seals but I cant believe they would be worn on a bike with so low of hours. Pulled of the carb and it was filthy inside and looked inside the intake with a flashlight and one intake valve is very clean looking and the other one is wet and black looking at its base. Is this a sign the intake valves are cooked? Could a very dirty carb or over rich condition cause it to smoke?
i would say if your carb is as dirty as it is along with the smoking, then yes you probably are due for a head job, possibly rings, and take a good look at your air filtration system, because that's is the root cause of the problems.
__________________
2000 Honda XR650R (Sold) LINK
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 NE
mitchn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #18374
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: British Columbia
Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
i would say if your carb is as dirty as it is along with the smoking, then yes you probably are due for a head job, possibly rings, and take a good look at your air filtration system, because that's is the root cause of the problems.
I did notice that inside of the air box had some dust in it. It had a k&N in it. This bike looks almost new, hard to believe the valves and rings are gone already. I guess maybe it got dusted then. One other thing is when I look inside the cylinder the top of the piston is shiny clean and wet looking. If it was burning oil would it not be caked with carbon?
brayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #18375
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer
 
mitchn06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: SoDak
Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjay View Post
I did notice that inside of the air box had some dust in it. It had a k&N in it. This bike looks almost new, hard to believe the valves and rings are gone already. I guess maybe it got dusted then. One other thing is when I look inside the cylinder the top of the piston is shiny clean and wet looking. If it was burning oil would it not be caked with carbon?
it is very much a no no to run these bikes with K&N filters. go get yourself a replacement foam filter. I have yet to use my NoToil filters with the biodegradable oil, but i know that cleaning the filter with the other type of oil was a PITA. i'm sure others will chime in on the subject.

As for piston, that is peculiar. I have no answer.
__________________
2000 Honda XR650R (Sold) LINK
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 NE
mitchn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015