ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
Crashed Bad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigxrr View Post
I have a 2000 xr650r that was plated and rode in Ca for years , I bought it and got it back to Az , Transferred everything over and then comes the problem , My insurance company ( Dairyland ) doesnt want to insure it for street because the vin # says its a dirt bike , I m guessing they dont insure dirt bikes ??

Now I am fighting with them about insuring it .. Have 5 bikes insured with them and have had no clams or tickets ect ect in 10+ yrs
get insurance from someone else for it. Liability only on my XR650 was $30 year.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #32
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
I licensed my XR400r a few years ago... I was advised to register it as an ATV with mostly off-road use. tags are cheep($4.75) but you need a OHV sticker & that is $25. It is insured the same way using the Honda vin#
I'm guessing you have registered it as a Motorcycle and your insurance Co has a issue with that in AZ.
Go to a MVD that is familiar with your circumstances and they should get you insured again.
Good Luck...
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #33
Trigxrr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Will see what they say , I had to e-mail them pictures of the bike , Told them it was a dual sport / not trail bike only,, Just like a xr650l ...

If they wont insure it , I will pull all 5 of my other bikes off there contract and go elsewhere with my money ..

MVD didnt have a problem at all with it being registered as a street bike so why should the insurance company care where I ride it ... It only cost me 28.00 dollars to get the plate & 2 yr registration .

Thanks for the info Mefadv
Trigxrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #34
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,231
What does is cost to get a plate for a motorcycle in AZ? Say a 990 and a 530. Full street plate. Any other fee's or charges they charge like city or county stickers things like that?

Thanks
Todd

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #35
TangoBob
PILAS

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
What does is cost to get a plate for a motorcycle in AZ? Say a 990 and a 530. Full street plate. Any other fee's or charges they charge like city or county stickers things like that?

Thanks
Todd
Registration is 10.75 (+4 for AZ title) plus a vehicle license tax which is a function of age and original purchase price. I have some data having done this recently...

Yr Model List Price / Tax
1982 XJ650 $3099 / 10.00
2001 SV650 $6199 / 12.80
2004 DR650 $4999 / 17.57

$10 is the minimum tax.
Registration cost = $10.75 + $4 (title) + 0.0289*0.6*List Price*(1 - 0.1625*Age)

Off highway sticker is $25 flat.
TangoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #36
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,227
Fighting with your old company just adds attention to the matter. The goal is a legally plated machine... not winning with some ins company. IMHO

Have 3 bikes with Geico... for $99 per year. Max Liability coverage on all of them.

Did it online in ten minutes for the first one. Five minutes when I added 2 and 3. I am a plated 99% dirt rider. Don't need to wear out valves riding to Walmart. For me Liability-Only just makes sense.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #37
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoBob View Post
Registration is 10.75 (+4 for AZ title) plus a vehicle license tax which is a function of age and original purchase price. I have some data having done this recently...

Yr Model List Price / Tax
1982 XJ650 $3099 / 10.00
2001 SV650 $6199 / 12.80
2004 DR650 $4999 / 17.57

$10 is the minimum tax.
Registration cost = $10.75 + $4 (title) + 0.0289*0.6*List Price*(1 - 0.1625*Age)

Off highway sticker is $25 flat.
Thanks, that is a lot less than here. Do cars and pickups work the same way?

Todd

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #38
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff aka BOLT View Post
Fighting with your old company just adds attention to the matter. The goal is a legally plated machine... not winning with some ins company. IMHO

Have 3 bikes with Geico... for $99 per year. Max Liability coverage on all of them.

Did it online in ten minutes for the first one. Five minutes when I added 2 and 3. I am a plated 99% dirt rider. Don't need to wear out valves riding to Walmart. For me Liability-Only just makes sense.
you know the saying 15 minutes of ur time and we could save u 15% off ur current fees

full coverage for my beaten wr250f! $100 a year w/geico

now gotta plate the 200
jeff, u have the info to do this in AZ

I am in not associated with happy-trails.com
I am the original happytrails
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #39
TangoBob
PILAS

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
Thanks, that is a lot less than here. Do cars and pickups work the same way?

Todd
Yes, but in Maricopa county (Phoenix) they need to pass an emission standard which means another small fee, I think.

(I don't own a car anymore)
TangoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #40
lotus241
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Ok I have done some searching and reading regarding this so I am pretty sure this is possible but I still have some questions:

I am flying into Phoenix in a week and I want to purchase a used bike to have a as backup bike for the LAB2V ride. I have a DS bike already but it has some issues – it’s another story. I have too much money invested in the trip to stop now 
I want to buy one of the used bikes I am eying on craigslist, register and plate it and get on the road to meet my riding partners in Vegas. I actually do plan on bringing the bike back to AZ after LAB2V and storing it for future use in the AZ area so it will remain in AZ.
My wife’s mom lives in the area so I have an address to use for paperwork and such. I am not from AZ, I am from Ohio so my license is from there.
My questions are:
1. I go and buy a bike with an AZ title – do I need to get it notarized with the seller or can I just grab the bike, title and be on my way?

2. Since the bike will have an AZ title do I need to bring the bike to the DMV to register it?

3. It is my understanding my out of state license will not be a problem, I may need to show insurance proof which I think I could do online pretty quickly or even through my current Allstate. I would have a local address for the DMV paperwork. Is there anything else I missing?

4. I want to plate it and I plan on making it complaint for street use but I may not have the parts on it till I get to a shop in Cali. I kind of need to buy title and hit the road all in the same day. I’ll fix it up later. Is inspection needed or emissions testing on it? I am looking at a Sun City address?

5. I see referenced contract DMV services in some threads. To make this more speedy and with a higher likelihood of success would they be better than going through the actual DMV?

6. Any address or recommended DMV agencies or Contract places you recommend in Sun City Area?

7. Do I need to register it in Sun City area DMV office or could I for instance buy it in Phoenix and register and plate it driving through flagstaff or something?

Thanks

Ray
lotus241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #41
verboten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
1. You should leave the transaction with a notarized title, that's your proof of ownership. If you give someone money for a bike and they keep the title, you just made an unscrupulous seller a very happy person.

2. Not if it has an AZ title

3. no

4. no

5. either way, 3rd party might be faster, will cost more

6. http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/

7. no, yes

Keep in mind, AZ will put a street legal plate on just about anything. An AZ plated dirtbike might not be street legal in Cali or Nevada.
verboten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #42
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Does Phoenix area still have the smog requirement? Seems like that used to be an issue with guys going to the other counties to avoid annual smog tests.

I have had no problem registering out of state bikes in AZ with only properly signed off title-nothing notarized. Last one I registered at Parker DMV they didn't even do a VIN inspection. I can't remember the insurance deal exactly. But I am pretty sure I had to buy insurance from an AZ broker and have the card to prove it. My bike was street legal. So I don't know how the process works for getting there.

I guess AZ still has the different type of plate deal?? Real street legal and kinda street legal.

I'm sure the AZ guys can fill in the blanks.

FWIW

AZ is a great place!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #43
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Does Phoenix area still have the smog requirement? ...
Nope. It was done away with last year.

Quote:
I guess AZ still has the different type of plate deal?? Real street legal and kinda street legal.
If you're on a DS register it as primarily off road and get your OHV sticker.

Quote:
AZ is a great place!
Yes it is.