ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should I learn to wheelie?
Yes, it is a vital skill and you'd be a fool not to. 38 20.32%
Yeah, you might as well, it could be handy someday. 51 27.27%
Yeah, Chicks dig it. 42 22.46%
Yes, but only after you've gotten good at doing it in the car. 16 8.56%
No, it is not really useful. 14 7.49%
No, it is dumb and dangerous (just like all the best fireworks) 8 4.28%
No, it is the first step towards The Darkside. 5 2.67%
You should sell the motorcycle and all other worldly goods to become a Ugandan prairie dog hunter. 13 6.95%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #31
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
[/LIST]I understand your reservations and you are right to assume there will be carnage, I've done more damage in the last 7 years than the previous road riding ever did. I'm not advocating learning on the road or even using those "skills" on the road, it's an off road skill and one to learn off road.
I'm simply pointing out that it is easy and cheap enough to learn those skills on the bike you have if you wish to.

Having said that, the only wheelies I did on my DR were accidental and I didn't semi-master the skill until I was on a 200cc 2 stroke dirt bike.
Thank you for making me feel better about it, lol
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #32
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Ok, lemme see, where to begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Very stupid poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Still a stupid poll. Not a stupid skill.
Thanks for the, um, input. I guess. Any advice on how I could improve? Was it too many choices? The mundane bits of humor? Was it too hard? Do you have strong socio/political ties to either Uganda or it's prairie dogs? Let me know, and I'll try to do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I would say lifting a wheel and a wheelie are two different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
The three categories of wheelies:

1) Unweighting or lifting the front wheel. It's quick, not very aggressive, and very useful. The front wheel barely comes off the ground, but it's useful for getting over logs and the like. It's not particularly fun, and can be done with a quick weight shift and a little throttle on almost any bike.

2) Sustained power wheelies. You've got the front wheel decidedly off the ground, but still a ways from the balance point. You're holding it up by being at full throttle, or close to it. This is very useful for getting through water without getting soaked or endo-ing. It's also really fun on a bike with the balls to hold one for a while.

3) Balance wheelies. These are harder, and completely useless. They are stunting. They are riskier to do than a power wheelie, but can be done at lower speeds, since you have to accelerate hard to hold a power wheelie. I can't really do these very well yet, but I keep messing around because it's a fun thing to try and get. I only do this on my dirt bike, because I feel like looping it is not unlikely.
This seems like some useful information. I guess I'm more interested in "lifting" than the actual wheelie. That's the part that seems like it could be a useful skill, as opposed to the stunting type. That said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
certainly a good skill to know how to handle a wheelie, I have found my front wheel in the air more than once when not planned
Randyo has a valid point here as well. I ought to be able to control my bike at all times, not just when things are going well. Which leads us to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
Why not learn to?

It's a skill that teaches clutch, throttle, brake and balance control, what's bad about that?
Now this next part, I have to admit, it had been some time since I'd tried, so today after work, I went for a short ride. Guess what? I think I was wrong before. It will wheelie. Bear in mind that I wasn't trying to wheelie, but I wasn't trying not to either. I was just in my normal riding position, completely off of the clutch, at about a 12.7mph roll in first gear (yeah, I've got GPS), and if I grab a handful throttle, it will begin to pull right up. Once this happens, I immediately let off and grab some clutch, 'cause I'm a chicken, but the bike seems ok with it. I think I got ~2"-4" a couple of times, but I wasn't trying for more. I just wanted to know what would happen, and what it was like. I can imagine that if I was actually trying, it would have only been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm View Post
If you twist the throttle it will wheelie in stock form..

But if you own a DR and have not found that out yet you might want to leave the front tire on the ground..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
For the DR owner: Slide your butt back on the seat and give the throttle a squirt. If it doesn't come up you need to do some jetting. (my bone stock 99 with a cv carb will wheelie all day long if you shift the weight back just a little bit)
So, with my mission accomplished, I decided to stop by my folks house. Mom was just taking cookies out of the oven, so I got to snack on homemade warm Andes mint chip cookies while explaining to my parents what I was out and about doing. I think I know what mom would vote on the poll. Dad can see the logic, but is also interested in Ugandan prairie dog hunting, so...

MV
Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #33
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Once this happens, I immediately let off and grab some clutch, 'cause I'm a chicken, but the bike seems ok with it. I think I got ~2"-4" a couple of times, but I wasn't trying for more. I just wanted to know what would happen, and what it was like. I can imagine that if I was actually trying, it would have only been better.

MV
That's where I am with my practice. For a long time I would grab clutch and take my feet off the pegs. (old habit from going too high on a pedal bike) But with a bit of practice I have gotten out of that habit, and at times have increased throttle and ridden it out. Just keep practicing and get comfortable with it.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #34
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
imho, it is a lot easier to control wheelies when you clutch them up rather than just throttling them up.

be a gear higher (2nd or 3rd gear), relatively low in the RPM range, pull the clutch with one finger, rev the motor a bit, dump the clutch. don't rev it much at first and just get used to the feel of the bike "lurching"/bringing the tire up a wee bit.

as you get comfortable, bring the front up further by increasing the RPMs more before dumping the clutch and also start using your body...slide back on the bike and yank a bit on the bars (or, ultimately, preload the suspension and let the rebound help you out).

it might seem less intuitive/scarier at first than just twisting the throttle and yanking the bars, but ultimately it is much smoother and more controllable imho.

try to learn to cover the rear brake so that if you start to go past the balance point, you can use the rear brake to bring the front back down. (if you have your brake pedal set really low, you might need to bring it up a bit to be able to effectively use it while wheelie-ing).
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #35
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 529

operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #36
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post

Well, crap. When you put it that way I guess I don't have much of a choice!

MV
Old 10-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,947
Learn off road first........

Then take it to the streets......

Old 10-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #38
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,306
Probably best to learn how to control a wheelie intentionally at your own pace before you are hard on the throttle, hit a bump...and have to figure it out on the fly...

E
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #39
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,804
can't wheelie worth a shit .. have always wanted to
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #40
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,532
Want to learn this, but probably better not over here in DE... Also see the wisdom in learning on dirt.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #41
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,481
I learned on a DT 175 Yammie when I was 15. I learned the balance point by going past it, not letting go, and diving back onto the seat. Did that a few times, and I was on my way. Got real good at it in the dirt, but really have no desire to do it on the street.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #42
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
It IS useful offroad and even occasionally onroad to clear obstacles , but balancing for distance , I don't care WHO you are or how good you think you are , EVERYBODY goes over sooner or later.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #43
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby1 View Post
Help me out here I tried yesterday and failed to wheelie my Wee Strom. It's got crash bars - skid plate - hand guards and didn't cost too much so my only concern is my health because at middle age stuff doesn't heal up like it used to.

Having found a mostly hidden slab where a big box store was torn down by my house, I was practicing the skills Off Road Fanatic has on U-tube.

Figure 8's -then one handed figure 8's -then standing figure 8's - mostly failed at standing 1 handed standing figure 8's - didnt even try knees on the seat or side saddle stuff.
Emergency stops all good - lock up back tire -squeeze front hard while leaning back.

Could not get the Wee to do a roll on throttle wheelie - takes off fast but no wheelie even dumping clutch and wide open throttle in first gear.

Tried rolling start - shift to second pull in clutch - rev and drop clutch - front jumped but just compresseed back suspension still no wheelie.
On 4th try chain made a bad sound so I went home.

Am I not leaning back enough ? Not pulling up on the bars ? not reving it enough ? not dumping the clutch hard enough ?

Help me out here I can't afford a Ducati because apparently that's what they we built for as anybody on one pulls a wheelie ever few miles around here.
I have a wee, and suck at wheelies too. I've only wheelied it twice in 30k. Both times unintentionally while going through the same intersection. rad on first from a light while crossing an intersection where the cross street road crown goes through the intersection. With that, up she comes. All other times, I can get on it pretty much full throttle and the front stay down. I have a steel skid plate and sw-motech bars which all add a bit of weight to the front.

It will do it, but extra weight of the plastic and headlights up front make it resist a little. Also I suspect the softened suspension of an aged/unmodified wee, probably doesn't make it any easier.

From what I've been told, most any bike can wheelie. It is just some riders, don't normally come close to the necessary inputs to make it happen. I have a WR250R also, and have seen other rider on them loft the wheel all the time, but for me, it doesn't seem so easy.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #44
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
You can do wheelies on a bicycle with NO horsepower.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #45
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You can do wheelies on a bicycle with NO horsepower.
No..you can't..

VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote