Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #541
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn View Post
The volume control won't work unless you have the BMW Bluetooth headset. I just use my Sena SMH 10 and it is easily controlled while riding using the big jog dial on the unit.
gr8ridn;

I am not sure I understood you correctly... Do you mean that with the BMW headset the GSW wheel controls the MP3 volume level ? No other will control through the wheel ?

I, too, can control the volume through my bluetooth receiver, however it is not as convenient as if I could control the volume through the GSW wheel.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #542
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
That control wheel controls other things as well, but the BMW headset is the only BT receiver that will vary volume with the twist of the control wheel. I don't like it , but that was the way it was with my 2011 RT. You understand what I said perfectly.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #543
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Two days with the Nav V

Have been using the Nav V for two days now and all is well so far. Investigated why the Nav V was tighter in the Nav IV cradle and it appears the extended ribs near the connector area on the Nav V was interfering a bit with the tapered section on the mount. All I had to do was make the taper a little bit more square in the mount and it goes in easily now. I used a Dremel tool to square it off in the area near the red arrows. Saved $100 on buying a new mount.

All else is fine so far. I personally feel the Garmin Smartphone Link was worth the $799 cost of admission. Live Traffic works great which is a feature I wish I had on the Nav IV. Also, being able to send a "contact" to the Nav V directly works great. Advance Weather nice as well. Those with GSWs and 1600s have no excuse not to buy one IMHO and all I have is a lowly '09 GS. Big, bright, and crisp ....

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #544
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
And, my ears are HUGE. God forbid I should see the gauges I paid so much for.
. Sorry...couldn't resist.....

"I've never met a man on his deathbed who wished he had spent more time at the office"
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #545
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Just got the Nav V. Unwrapped it, plugged it in, registered it and did the suggested map update......

3 HOURS !!!

No, I don't have dial up....

"I've never met a man on his deathbed who wished he had spent more time at the office"
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #546
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhdick View Post

All else is fine so far. I personally feel the Garmin Smartphone Link was worth the $799 cost of admission. Live Traffic works great which is a feature I wish I had on the Nav IV. Also, being able to send a "contact" to the Nav V directly works great. Advance Weather nice as well. ...[/URL]

Could you explain those features? I have a Nav IV on my RT and am wondering what the price of admission for a Nav V will change for me.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #547
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Cost

He was referring to the cost of buying a new Nav V!

Felipe
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #548
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Smartphone Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Could you explain those features? I have a Nav IV on my RT and am wondering what the price of admission for a Nav V will change for me.
You should download the "Garmin Smartphone Link" to your Android or iPhone and take a look at it. It is free to download.

I am subscribed to Advanced Weather and Live Traffic.

With the Nav IV (and all other Garmin GPS's I have now) I am always adding new favorites (waypoint) in MapSource or Basecamp which I typically already had in my work or personal Google contacts on my computer/phone. All I need to do now is go to the Smartphone Link which reads my contacts and select the ones I want sent to the Nav V even before connected to it. Next time the link is made (ie riding the bike) the favorites are automatically transferred, or you can do it real-time when connected. This saves a lot of time pulling the GPS off the bike, opening it up connecting to the computer or adding it manually on the bike. Never understood why this could not be made to happen with today's technology, but now it is so.

Live Traffic is the best GPS traffic subscription I have used so far. I have a FM Traffic subscription for my auto GPS's which actually works on the Nav IV using the auto cradle, but not when in the bike cradle. The FM traffic was okay, but Live Traffic is much better and even the way traffic shows up on screen is better. Works with just the iPhone or together when paired.

Advanced Weather is a nice to have if trying to avoid bad weather while riding. The bad areas show up on the phone and/or GPS and will avoid those areas if you so choose.

Try the Smartphone Link program and see what you think.

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #549
Pstmstr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Any of you guys having problems connecting the NAV V to a Mac after the Mavericks OS upgrade?
Pstmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #550
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstmstr View Post
Any of you guys having problems connecting the NAV V to a Mac after the Mavericks OS upgrade?
Did work for me this morning. Although I had to re-install Garmin Express, I thought I had installed it on that computer, but I might be wrong on that.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #551
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post

Had a strange thing happen with my Nav-V last night as the sun was setting, I went in to adjust the screen brightness with the slider and it went all the way down, I could barely see the screen, no matter where I slid it too the screen remained very dim, I selected the Auto button and the screen came back to about 50% and that was as bright as I could it, got home and removed the GPS and the brightness worked normally. So I won't be messing with the brightness control on the fly again.
My screen went to a dark background Sat night as well ... I wonder if there is an auto brightness that is triggered by a photocell data line on the GSW ? The instructions are sketchy at best and I haven't yet taken the time to read the on line version... too busy getting in ride time before the snow hits tonight / tomorrow.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #552
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
When ??

I wonder which decade it will be when we will be able to buy the V in Australia for double the price ?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #553
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I wonder which decade it will be when we will be able to buy the V in Australia for double the price ?
HaHa, have patience my son, your wallet will be emptied soon I am sure, lol.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #554
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Is there a way to pan the screen using the wheel?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #555
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
My screen went to a dark background Sat night as well ... I wonder if there is an auto brightness that is triggered by a photocell data line on the GSW ? The instructions are sketchy at best and I haven't yet taken the time to read the on line version... too busy getting in ride time before the snow hits tonight / tomorrow.

I couldn't locate any information regarding how the Nav-V interfaces with the bike as far as the screen brightness control goes.
I did a 150 mile ride yesterday and the brightness slider worked perfectly so I would speculate that the issue I had the previous day was a glitch.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote