Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #31
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by flx View Post
i ride a r65 probability 90% of the time with my wife on the back and camping gear, works well. Before i owned a 250cc mz wich was as comfortable but a bit to slow with two people and camping gear on it. I think for two up you have to enjoy minimalism otherwise it wont work..
+1
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #32
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,055
I'm a happy passenger on the back of our R1200GS, so I can't speak to how the bike handles. But I love traveling on it. We've been across the US two times, up into Canada, and in July, up to Alaska and back. We've got a Vario topcase (the padding sucks, though, so I made my own back pad), and Micatech side cases. If we take camping gear along, the sleeping bags and tent get lashed to the top of the Micatechs. We did replace the stock seats with Bill Mayer seats.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #33
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
my wife is 5'11"and just cant get comfortable on the back of my r1150gs even with a rear trunk and backrest pad
the seat makes her slide forward and even with the bags removed she just cant get comfortable. winter project to make it work or guess ill have to buy a cruiser
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #34
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
my wife is 5'11"and just cant get comfortable on the back of my r1150gs even with a rear trunk and backrest pad
the seat makes her slide forward and even with the bags removed she just cant get comfortable. winter project to make it work or guess ill have to buy a cruiser
I'm 5'10" and am quite comfortable on the R1200GS. When we got the custom seats at Bill Mayer, they put a slight rise on mine, so I don't slide forward as much. I also found that I don't slide as much wearing leathers. Wearing my Aerostitch -- more sliding.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #35
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
Awesome, thank you for the replies everyone!

$1600 bucks is a big wad of cash to lay out right now just to be able to ride well two up. Is there any other options? As others have said, it feels very soft, very squishy and even the clutch seems a bit out of sorts when I set the ESA to two up. Is there a magical ESA setting I should be zeroing in? When it's just me, the bike is all out ballistic and balanced perfectly. It's not horrible two up, but just feels unstable at times and awkward coming away from a full stop.
hmm - Did you set the ESA to "Hard?" This should max out your damping.
sounds like that is where you have the issue.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #36
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
The GSA is a tall heavier bike than the stock GS, so I don't find it odd that you feel that it is top heavy. I had a stock R1100R and even though that bike only weighed approx. 520 lbs wet, it still felt top heavy.

Over the years my wife and I have travelled, on a GS550, gold wings, BMW, Harley heritage, and currently ride a 2013 Suzuki DL650. I've found that I'm not a fan of the feet forward bikes like cruisers, I just can't sit like that for very long. I went through 4 seats trying to make it work, but no luck, so I got a different bike.

Our current ride, the DL650 is very easy to ride, isn't top heavy but does get the job done. I went down in displacement this time and so far haven't regretted the decision.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #37
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,560
To echo a previous poster, I love my 1st gen Connie for two-up touring. My typical pillon weighs about 130 lbs, and on the Connie I don't even know she's there. I didn't even bother telling her to keep her torso in profile with mine. I just told her not to make any sudden movements.

We did a two-up overnight camping trip down to Calvert Cliffs in MD. Fully loaded, the only thing that wasn't in the bags were the sleeping bag & the tent - I strapped those to the top cases.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #38
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
To echo a previous poster, I love my 1st gen Connie for two-up touring. My typical pillon weighs about 130 lbs, and on the Connie I don't even know she's there. I didn't even bother telling her to keep her torso in profile with mine. I just told her not to make any sudden movements.

We did a two-up overnight camping trip down to Calvert Cliffs in MD. Fully loaded, the only thing that wasn't in the bags were the sleeping bag & the tent - I strapped those to the top cases.
+1 on the connie, my son and I have camped on her he's about 185 I'm 270. we had everything but the tent and sleeping bags in the cases, tent and bags bungeed on the top. Didn't feel much different than riding solo. Connie loves to tour.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #39
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
The missus and I just returned from a Grand Canyon trip. 5400 miles and three weeks on a Tiger 800xc. We had a great time. She is my flight officer whose duties include; navigation, photography, and waving. Most important piece of kit I travel with.

A backrest is the most important farkle when it comes to carrying a pillion. Makes her comfortable and both of you more secure. Without a backrest you cant get on the throttle without worring about her flipping off the back.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote