Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #226
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Is there anyone who rides out of the Daegu area?
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #227
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,332
Hot Stuff,
I just posted again on ROK Riders, I want to get a long weekend next weekend up in Gongwon-do at least one more time.

Road Dragons is for cruisers, right? Probably a different style of riding.

Wanna go? Meeting in Yangpyeong Friday eve is the easiest thing.

Squelch, there are several on ROK Riders in the area. You and a girl named Ava should point your wheels toward Yangpyeong (oh stop whining and come) Friday and meet us there.
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
I'm riding out of seoul almost every weekend.

If you do facebook, check these two groups for rides:

road dragons https://www.facebook.com/groups/roaddragons/

rok riders https://www.facebook.com/groups/rokriders/
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #228
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Squelch, there are several on ROK Riders in the area. You and a girl named Ava should point your wheels toward Yangpyeong (oh stop whining and come) Friday and meet us there.
Steve
Considering it's like 5 hours to Seoul on the highway, I don't even know how far it is to Yangpyeong via backroads. The way I ride is to set my GPS to show an azimuth and try to stay as close as I can to it while I explore roads. It took me about three hours to get from Daegu to Ulsan using this method - I'm guessing Yangpyeong would be about ten hours...

Until I fully explore the roads around here, I'm not going to go hell-bent to get somewhere else just to ride similar roads. Maybe sometime we can all meet in the middle somewhere.

By the way, is this Ava person on ADV, or on ROK Riders?
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #229
SR1
In Western NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
Maybe sometime we can all meet in the middle somewhere.

That is something I would very much like to do. I haven't ridden in the Daegu area at all. The furthest south (on the East side) I've been is Danyang. Lots more country to discover. FWIW, looking at the map, while some roads in your area are indeed nice looking, I don't think anything compares to Gongwon-Do area. It seems to be a black hole for me...I always go in that direction, haha!

She's on ROK Riders.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!

SR1 screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 07:15 AM
Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #230
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Hot Stuff,

Road Dragons is for cruisers, right? Probably a different style of riding. ...

I think you'd be surprised. We don't have too many sportbike riders, but one of our guys has a Super Tenere, and we used to have a Ducati 1098 rider in our club.

What kind of riding do you like to do? We don't do any off-roading or dirt roads. I'm not afraid to ride a well groomed dirt road, but the few Korean unpaved roads I've been on were washboard and giant potholes. I don't have enough frame clearance for that mess.

Take a look at my facebook, I ride everywhere (that's paved). Averaging 10000 miles a year here in the ROK.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #231
SR1
In Western NC

Had a good time riding with Hot Stuff (exactly what is that name from, man?) this past weekend. He can really move that HD! Too bad you weren't along on Sunday too.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #232
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
Had a good time riding with Hot Stuff (exactly what is that name from, man?) this past weekend. He can really move that HD! Too bad you weren't along on Sunday too.
I had a good friend in Texas some years ago, his girlfriend said I was "hot stuff". Now, not so much
Old 11-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #233
Jimbobvfr
Jimbob

Oddometer: 6
Howdy boys, mind if I play along?

Dammit!
Got here last Nov with my KLX250 and have been worked like a runaway slave the whole time!!
I'm in Daegu with the KLX(setup for dirt, but works fine on the road, and a '97 Honda VFR(my 5th VFR). I'll be working on it tomorrow, had a spill and ended up going GLOBAL to get it back together.
I've found quite a few offroad dirt to entertain me and a group of Korean off-road guys that help me pick up my bike - they race locally and all over the mountains. I see some of you have found the ROK f/b site. I guess, I too, would like to meet Ava, but I'm more into riding my bike - in case my Wife see this...
Give me a holler. I did a bunch of web-crawling before I got here to find some kindred souls, but am finally able to have a moment to meet up.
TTYL,
Jimbob
Jimbobvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #234
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Oddometer: 153
Hi Guys! I'm here in Seoul. I assume the group rides have probably stopped until about March or so, eh? It'll have to get up to at least the 40's before my wife will be willing to go riding.

Anyway, how are the rides organized? Is it usually a facebook thing?
oldbutspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #235
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbobvfr View Post
Dammit!
Got here last Nov with my KLX250 and have been worked like a runaway slave the whole time!!
I'm in Daegu with the KLX(setup for dirt, but works fine on the road, and a '97 Honda VFR(my 5th VFR). I'll be working on it tomorrow, had a spill and ended up going GLOBAL to get it back together.
I've found quite a few offroad dirt to entertain me and a group of Korean off-road guys that help me pick up my bike - they race locally and all over the mountains. I see some of you have found the ROK f/b site. I guess, I too, would like to meet Ava, but I'm more into riding my bike - in case my Wife see this...
Give me a holler. I did a bunch of web-crawling before I got here to find some kindred souls, but am finally able to have a moment to meet up.
TTYL,
Jimbob
Drats, there go my eventual plans to have the only 4th Gen VFR in the country!

How exactly did you get Honda VFR parts to Korea?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #236
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbutspry View Post
Hi Guys! I'm here in Seoul. I assume the group rides have probably stopped until about March or so, eh? It'll have to get up to at least the 40's before my wife will be willing to go riding.

Anyway, how are the rides organized? Is it usually a facebook thing?
What are you riding?

There is a facebook group called ROK Riders that some people use to announce rides / meetups.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rokriders/

You will probably need some help navigating your way in and out of Seoul the first few times. It can be challenging.

What area of Seoul are you in?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #237
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
What are you riding?

There is a facebook group called ROK Riders that some people use to announce rides / meetups.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rokriders/

You will probably need some help navigating your way in and out of Seoul the first few times. It can be challenging.

What area of Seoul are you in?
Oh, ok. I have seen that facebook page. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I brought a Brutale 1078rr here and I bought a Honda Dio 125cc scooter after I arrived. I have only driven the motorcycle to work once but I drive the scooter all the time. I live in Chungmuro but work at Yongsan.

The wife and I already accidentally got on a "no motorcycles" road. It's so hard to avoid them and it seems like they always put the sign where you will see it when it is too late.
oldbutspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 AM   #238
SR1
In Western NC

It's warming up!

I have had my share of visitors over winter but they're all gone now...and the weather's getting better. When are we going?!?!!?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #239
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

There have been some pick-up rides on ROKriders and Road Dragons facebook pages over the past couple of months. Weather has been okay (lows around freezing, highs in the mid 40's F) for some shorter rides (120-180 miles). Went out New Years' Day for the first ride of 2014 and got rained on a bit. Since then did a couple more rides. This past weekend went from downtown Seoul to Gapyeong, had some Dalkgalbi, and return to Seoul. Having heated gear keeps me comfortable.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:15 AM   #240
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842
on the road soon

I'll be riding again soon. My bike has been parked since January, when I tangoed with an ice patch. Busted front brake reservoir.

Seems like there are a few expat riders with BMW R bikes around here. That's ok, I'll ride with you anyway. You can carry the sandwiches and beer in your shiny luggage box.

2006 HP2

Warthog screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 12:16 AM Reason: duplicate words
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote