Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #31
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 439
Insurance companies can go fuck their hat!!!
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #32
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike1 View Post
Insurance companies can go fuck their hat!!!

They can go fuck a train!!!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #33
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 439
Sorry
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #34
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
if they where legitimately rewarding better drivers, and not just giving you a "discount" from already marked up rates then MAYBE on my car, definitely not on my bike.

edit: I do totally agree with most people here that it is a very slippery slope, where do you draw the line? most vehicles these days have built in trip logs/GPS anyways, how long before they just do it automatically?

Cody1771 screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 05:13 AM
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #35
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 838
Pissed Bike vs car

Ya I could see my insurance going through the roof or being canceled from riding my bike. I could just see the insurance person trying to figure out why I break and accelerate so much. Will they know where you are driving and track the roads you are on, that's a 50km zone and you are doing 100km? For my car on the other hand it is slow and slower on bad days . Next with they use that data and say it was raining or snowing that day so you should be driving slower. Where will there bench mark be on what's safe or the norm. I am not a fast driver per say but will do 15-20 over the limit on the highway with cruse on. But I do tend to take corners a bit faster then the recommend speed.
So now not only worrying about the other asshats on the road, cops, kids in the back seat, road conditions etc...now big brother. This kind of shit worries me more and more. I know that there is a computer watching all the email, texts, SMS etc.. And maybe our cell phones

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #36
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 1,995
All insurance company privacy assurances aside...when someone is collecting data you can guarantee that someone else, somewhere will want to get their hands on it and will find the means to do so, whether through a "strategic business partnership", fat cheque or court order.
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #37
CallMeBoog
Angry Canadian

Oddometer: 5,128
on the bike? no. My bike insurance is $150 a year, full coverage (collision, fire/theft/vandal, comprehensive, $2M PL/PD)

On the Yaris and the Santa Fe? Maybe. Together they are $1000 a year, for the same coverage as the bike. Neither I or my wife drive them like hooligans. (Gas $$$ FFFFFFFuuuuuuCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK)

I call myself a professional driver, because I drive for a living, and have taken professional heavy truck driver training. My career depends on my driving record. I'm 30, and the wife is 34, neither of us ever a ticket or an accident.

So, maybe. maybe yes, because we have nothing to hide, and maybe not, because our insurance is also pretty cheap based on our driving record.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #38
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,458
The nanny state both government and business can fuck off, I'm tired of the bullshit

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #39
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
If i drove like a granny and put less than ten K a year on the odo then sure...sadly that isnt the case
That's how I'm driving my truck these days after having 5 tickets on my record at one time. Man that got expensive, so Yes for one on the truck but NO for one on the bike.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
I think this is a great idea, why not have someone be able to track your daily driving. Knows how hard you accelerate, brake, corner etc... So when you get in an accident they can use the info to help you out, no officer I was not speeding see look at the black box. Of course your insurance will go down because everyone is a safe driver and never speeds. I think is is one of the better ideas the insurance companies have come up with, almost as good as paying for insurance just in case something happens. I will be installing this black box in all my vehicles as soon as I am dead and gone, fawk them the greedy bastards.
My house insurance went up by 320 this year because they had to make a lot of payouts this year, soooo that's what we pay you for. It is a gamble/bet we make with them, but they always win. They can install this up their ass then have some fawk them there while video taping it, then up load it to you tube and see how it feels. Then just then they might know how it feels for the world to be watching what you are doing, then maybe then I will not think about it.
Now let's just hope no one from my insurance company is reading this lol
So nope won't install it
Yup I hear ya. You must be with TD as well. Mine went from about 2k to just under 5k. Guess they wanted me to pay what you didn't to compensate for their "losses"
Needless to say I said F you and found another company
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #41
clintonroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post
The nanny state both government and business can fuck off, I'm tired of the bullshit
I agree 100%.
for years insurance companies were making record profits, but still continued to raise rates. When disasters happen and they have big pay-outs, they raise the rates even more to compensate, but never lower them again.
The government has been no help in the matter. All they did is cap what will be paid out in some instances and introduce no fault insurance so the insurance companies lower their rates a miniscule amount for a year or two while the insurance companies continue to make record profits.
Since insurance is required by law, it should be government run like it is in BC, sold at the time you renew your plates probably at 30%-50% our rates.
clintonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #42
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBoog View Post
on the bike? no. My bike insurance is $150 a year, full coverage (collision, fire/theft/vandal, comprehensive, $2M PL/PD)

On the Yaris and the Santa Fe? Maybe. Together they are $1000 a year, for the same coverage as the bike. Neither I or my wife drive them like hooligans. (Gas $$$ FFFFFFFuuuuuuCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK)

I call myself a professional driver, because I drive for a living, and have taken professional heavy truck driver training. My career depends on my driving record. I'm 30, and the wife is 34, neither of us ever a ticket or an accident.

So, maybe. maybe yes, because we have nothing to hide, and maybe not, because our insurance is also pretty cheap based on our driving record.
In Mississauga Ontario, a middle aged married guy with a KLR, Yaris, and Santa Fe would be paying around $4,000 / year. Zero tickets in the last 10 years. Zero crashes in last 30. Apparently, the medical scams from staged crashes are rampant here.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #43
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Apparently, the medical scams from staged crashes are rampant here.
No, the insurance company gouging is rampant here.

Bill Davis got the ball rolling back in the late '70's and they've never looked back in Canada's richest extortion racket.

Now shut-up and pay your protection money.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #44
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
No, just on principal!