Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
I'm not 100% sure but I think the Classic RK comes from the factory with rear shocks that sit an inch lower than the standard RK; standard length shocks can be found cheap used giving you a little more clearance. 09 and later HD touring models don't allow you to raise or lower the floorboards like previous years? I think it's a poor design on the later models that allow hard parts to touch down before the boards do, I've scraped hard parts but not the boards.

I agree with the OP later HD touring bikes (new frame 09+) handle very well for what they are and with a competent rider you can surprise the less capable rider every now and then. I also know guys that ride on the older frame that surprise me with how fast they can ride them.

My next addition for my 11 Limited will be HD's premium touring shocks. I don't really have complaints about the stock shocks but for $400 I'll take a chance and see how they do. If it makes a real noticeable difference I'm sure I'll end up doing something to the front end too.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 90k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 994
Had an interesting experience on a GL1800.
On a spirited ride through some sweepers hit a dip and felt a hit.
May have dragged the pegs (don't remember now) but, the lower fairing was scuffed up pretty well.
It was A WTF moment when I noticed the scrapes.
On a Goldwing forum, these marks are a Right of Passage.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Classic has 13" shocks. It's the custom that has the 12" shocks from the street glide.

The bike is very responsive to your leaning, or lack of. C.O.W. Works very well with these bikes. Though it feels quite dramatic, since you tend to be leaning back or sitting upright.

Dragged the foot boards of my Road King Classic a few times as well.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:05 AM   #19
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
It is still an amazing bike. Love the fact that the big girl will dance amazingly well, when asked nicely. Sure, she isn't a sportbike, but she does make me giggle!!
Yeah, I'm loving my Softail Deluxe too.

I took the footboards off and put pegs on for more leg room, more natural foot angle, AND more cornering clearance. Still grind the peg on the right and the "jiffy stand" on the left just for fun on most rides tho. I too have thought about raising mine. Funny, most Harley riders lower their bikes and here we are talking about raising ours.

For me, anything two-wheeled. Having fun in the far north, Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Riding home from work today, I nearly broke into giggles....the Road King really is that much fun. It is not a sportbike, but it does put grins on your face. And, isn't that the point. I think that too much emphasis is placed, by many, on the specs of a bike. I remember MG Midgets, they weren't fast, they weren't the best cars in any way, but they sure were fun to drive. Kinda like my old Tacoma, not fast, not the most exciting, but it sure is fun.

I kinda see the Harley as a 2-wheel truck. I can carry all my stuff with me. Be comfortable. Have fun in the twisties and never worry too much about the Popo...like the MG above, I ain't really going that fast.

Whoever said that riding a slow bike fast was fun was.........RIGHT!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I remember the first time I leaned a bike far enough over to grind hard parts (not very far on that bike), it scared the shit out of me briefly. It was on my father-in-laws Yamaha Road Star. I figured out there is actually a replaceable feeler on the bottom of the floor board, since then I ground a few of them off I figured out cruisers are not for me.

I'm glad you didn't panic and wipe out.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #22
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Yeah, I'm loving my Softail Deluxe too.

Beauty.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #23
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by badstewie View Post
That being said, it seems to me (a brand new rider with only a couple weeks experience) to be a good idea to get in the habit of getting off the seat and leaning to the inside so the bike leans less, leaving an extra margin for unexpected situations. I have talked to a couple of long time riders about this and all of them thought it was unnecessary on the street or only for cruisers with low clearance. Am I out of line thinking having the extra lean available is a good idea?

Bad Stewie
I do that all the time at higher speeds. Not necessarily off the seat, but I do lean further than the bike. About a year 1/2 ago I was doing a demo on a new ZX-14R. The guide was awesome enough to actually go pretty damn fast. I think I topped out at 125 on that ride. Anyway, I was coming around a left-bend at about 85-90 and realized I was a little hot. Seemed like I wasn't able to lean it over any further and the gravel and dirt were approaching quickly. At the last second I threw my weight off the bike and towards the ground and barely skated by. If it weren't for that little maneuver I would still be making some serious payments to Kawasaki.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote