Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
julesmt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Bike(back)packing NZ for 1-2 months?

Hi all,

I`m considering a NZ bike trip. The sticky threads on this forum have been very usefull, still have some questions.

First let me give you some background info about me: 30 yrs old, no wife, house, kids. Been riding bikes most of my youth on street / dirt / track. Last years got into supermoto racing and loving it:

but I`m considering skipping a year of racing and spend the money on travelling.

I`ve allways been atrackted to NZ for some reason, love the pics on this forum. I want to take 1 to 2 months to see the real NZ and not just rush allong all the crowded touristy lonely planet hotspots.

Now for the questions;

Would it be sensible / possible to buy a bike for that period or am I better off renting one? I`d like to ride a lightweight fun dualsport bike like a KTM lc4 enduro or a SMC (i`m used to riding slicks on gravel).

Whats the best period to go? What area has the nicest rinding? I like tarmac twisties aswell as gravel, depending on the bike even some more hardcore offroading.

I dont plan on having a tight schedual, just get a few good ideas where to go and then just ride as I feel like it. And staying a few days if I like it there.

Besides just riding I`d like to experience NZ culture, what are things I shouldnt miss? I like festivals, racing, petrolhead stuff etc.

Thanks in advance,

There are alott of ifs and buts to this trip, depending on wether I can rent out my appartment / work / racing. I hope I can make it happen!
julesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,343
Hi Mate, buying something is probably the best option if you are coming for more than a month. Have a look at http://www.trademe.co.nz/ If you see something you like around the Rotorua area I may be able to check it out for you. DR650's are common & cheap so if you don't find a decent LC4 check those out too. There are also a few DRZ400-SM's around which may appeal to a motard guy.

Almost everywhere is good for riding, but the South Is narrowly wins for riding + scenery, however with 2 months you'd be able to have a look around both Islands comfortably. Doing the most of the suggested routes in the FAQ & seeing some of the sights would fill up that time no problem.

Weather-wise the best time to come is Jan-Feb-Mar, but if you like 'festivals, racing & petrolhead stuff' then you totally should come in November for the Burt Munro Challenge in Invercargill. You could even have a go at the beach race. The weather isn't too bad in Nov, just more of a chance of rain than later in summer.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?

clintnz screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 03:49 PM
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
julesmt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Hey clintnz, thanks for youre reply!

I checked out the Burt Munro challenge, seems like my kind of party. Big fan of worlds fastest Indian. I`d love to do the beachrace or hillclimb on a sumo bike. Looks like great fun!

Kind of forgot about a dr400 sm. Seems like a good fun bike to ride overthere. Dr 650 would also be ok, maybe a little less fun to ride.

I`m kind of confused about you`re upside down seasons / climate. November is spring time right? If so I could start my trip with the Munro challenge and spend the next 4/6 weeks riding into the summer while the weather improves.
What temps can i expect in Nov?

julesmt screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 02:28 PM
julesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
clintnz

Have a look here for weather info: http://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/liv...-and-landscape ...also the Niwa link on that page for more detail. Nov is springtime, daytime temps usually 10-20 degC. If you like the look of 'The Burt' starting around there & working your way north would be a pretty good plan.

Cheers
Clint

Old 10-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,454
Expect freezing cold snowy days, rainy stormy days and still warm beautiful days.

The last few burts have had terrible weather- really windy. The jan- april months are better.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
chainslapAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Kind of a thread hijack, but I'm planning on doing the same exact thing and heading down mid December it looks like. Hoping to find a cheap XR/XT/TTR/DR or similar and touring on that. Have some friends in Christchurch so I will probably fly into there and do a loop up through the north island.

Now I have to figure out what to bring, thinking of picking up some backpacking gear down there and bringing mostly riding gear with me. Sound logical? Hoping to mostly camp for free-cheapish.

Oh and about me, 28, single, no lease, no mortgage, no pets, soon to lose funding at my job. Might as well go travel right? Also a expert level trials and enduro rider. Which is why I would like a more dirt oriented bike I reckon.

I have no real plans other than to wander for 6-8 weeks or so.
chainslapAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
clintnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainslapAZ View Post
Now I have to figure out what to bring, thinking of picking up some backpacking gear down there and bringing mostly riding gear with me. Sound logical? .
Everything is cheaper in the US so bring as much gear as you can without maxing out your baggage allowance too much. That said you can outfit yourself with some basic camping gear without breaking the bank, if you want to be organised before you arrive & get some stuff delivered to your friends place in Chch have a look at: http://www.torpedo7.co.nz for cheap camping & moto gear.

If you make it to Rotorua get in touch, we always enjoy hosting motorcycle travellers.

Cheers
Clint

Old 10-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
chainslapAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Everything is cheaper in the US so bring as much gear as you can without maxing out your baggage allowance too much. That said you can outfit yourself with some basic camping gear without breaking the bank, if you want to be organised before you arrive & get some stuff delivered to your friends place in Chch have a look at: http://www.torpedo7.co.nz for cheap camping & moto gear.

If you make it to Rotorua get in touch, we always enjoy hosting motorcycle travellers.

Cheers
Clint
Awesome, thanks for the link! I'll certainly let you know if I make it that way. Visa was just approved so I'm one step closer...
chainslapAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
chekamus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
and if u make it down to invercargill get in touch we have a spare room.
chekamus is offline   Reply With Quote