ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Womble_CH OP
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 292
Solved : 1190 @R all warnings on

Left my Kate for 8 days with alarm on, which totally emptied the battery. Took it out. After 20 hours of charging it showed full & well again. But after putting it back and attaching all wires, incl. seatheat, turned the key. Engine, ABS, MTC signs stay on and left screen shows message ABS malfunction and MTC malfunction. Engine warning blinks in Neutral, stays fix with gear engaged. Engine would start fine and riding is possible, but I just did a few meters.

Will keep it overnight since I can't do more now. If tomorrow no changes I call the ambulance.

Any ideas ?

Sent from my IBM Simon using morse

Womble_CH screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 02:03 AM Reason: Solved
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
Left my Kate for 8 days with alarm on, which totally emptied the battery. Took it out. After 20 hours of charging it showed full & well again. But after putting it back and attaching all wires, incl. seatheat, turned the key. Engine, ABS, MTC signs stay on and left screen shows message ABS malfunction and MTC malfunction. Engine warning blinks in Neutral, stays fix with gear engaged. Engine would start fine and riding is possible, but I just did a few meters.

Will keep it overnight since I can't do more now. If tomorrow no changes I call the ambulance.

Any ideas ?

Get a new battery instead of an ambulance...
Old 10-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Womble_CH OP
dribbling baboon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsta View Post
Get a new battery instead of an ambulance...
I ordered a new battery as well, should arrive tomorrow. But the old one is charged and has enough voltage/tension. It might not work as well/long as before, which is why I got a new one but I'm not convinced that this is the reason for the problem right now.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 370
Why get a new battery?? Especially for a new ride?? You must have a lot of money!!?? LOL And LITTLE diagnostic skills! IF, and a big IF, the battery tanked, doesn't speak well for the engineering of the battery!! But again, doubt that's the issue here. I'll bet he gets the same situation with a 'new' battery. I had a similar situation with a car I worked on. It finally came down to getting the computer hooked up and erasing any mil codes that arose... In this case it was a security code.... I'll bet his KTM is going to be similar. Best thing I would do in the future is leave the alarm off and if you're that worried, get a LARGE chain and connect it to something that wont wander... If I had to leave my bike alone for 8 days, I'll bet she would be inside or somewhere I trusted... Just saying.... Good luck!
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
Womble_CH OP
dribbling baboon

Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by what car?? View Post
Why get a new battery?? Especially for a new ride?? You must have a lot of money!!?? LOL And LITTLE diagnostic skills! IF, and a big IF, the battery tanked, doesn't speak well for the engineering of the battery!! But again, doubt that's the issue here. I'll bet he gets the same situation with a 'new' battery. I had a similar situation with a car I worked on. It finally came down to getting the computer hooked up and erasing any mil codes that arose... In this case it was a security code.... I'll bet his KTM is going to be similar. Best thing I would do in the future is leave the alarm off and if you're that worried, get a LARGE chain and connect it to something that wont wander... If I had to leave my bike alone for 8 days, I'll bet she would be inside or somewhere I trusted... Just saying.... Good luck!
Wow, what to say

If you take it by the BigMac index, may be I'm rich

1.a. I don't have a lot of money. The price of a new battery is basically the cost of a fuel fill of my car or a good dinner out with my wife.

1.b. I still don't have a lot of money, so I can't afford an individual house where I can lock up my ride like Fort Knox. Where I live simple town flats start at 1M$, individual houses 1.5M$ - so sorry, I have to rent a flat and park in a non-public collective underground parking. Still a lot of people go in and out and unauthorized people can get in easily. An alarm is a good option, because it will make a lot of noise for a reasonable amount of time until some thief gets the bike to a van (which are too high to enter the parking). There is not a lot to attach the bike to and even then nobody would take notice of of someone cutting the chain. Maybe for you its easy to find a trusted place, but for some of us, living in the city, its just not that easy.

Also this collective parking doesn't have easy access to electricity so I can't hook the bike to a charger without taking out the battery. Considering that it took roughly 20 hours to recharge, I don't mind having a fully charged spare at home if it can save a days ride in sunny weather.

1.c May be I have a lot of money because I chose the KTM 1190@, which - where I live - actually cost more than the new 1200GS.

2. Now to the actually helpful part : I also think that it is something simple that can probably be solved by the dealer (aka ambulance) within minutes. But my preferred dealer is not just next door. The KTM being my first ride with lots of electronic items, I don't know yet if I can't safely take it there or if it needs to be picked-up.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
dgardel
Orange contaminated

Oddometer: 58
I'm in Kuwait now and I'll came back home the 31th of october.

I left my 1190 with the alarm engaged (will be 15 days at all). I'll report to you what will appen the 1st of november

KTM 1190 Adventure S Gray
dgardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
GeorgeD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
KTM is aware of this issue with the alarm (emptying battery).
At least I have read reports from other owners and they claim that KTM is aware of it and temporary they "cut" a cable. They say that will be fixed in the future.
So, before buying new batteries, making assumptions, etc. I think the wise choice is to call and ask your KTM dealer. I am pretty sure will be aware of it.
GeorgeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
Womble_CH OP
dribbling baboon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
KTM is aware of this issue with the alarm (emptying battery).
At least I have read reports from other owners and they claim that KTM is aware of it and temporary they "cut" a cable. They say that will be fixed in the future.
So, before buying new batteries, making assumptions, etc. I think the wise choice is to call and ask your KTM dealer. I am pretty sure will be aware of it.
Thank you, in the meantime I found a similar information about the alarm-issue. It seems to be an incompatibility of the display unit with the standard alarm. There is a temporary fix known to the dealers (KTM France). My alarm was fixed 4 weeks ago, by then the problem was long known to KTM, so I'm surprised that the alarm was attached without the fix. When they send the PP to the dealer there should have been a notice about this in the instructions.

Now that I know, I will not use the alarm until I get the fix. But I want to get rid of the warnings. There have been a few cases where 1190 Adv's had this warning issue after long drive through rain or after a burn-out. But it seemed that it also went away without dealer intervention.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Womble_CH OP
dribbling baboon

Eek Simple solution - feel stupid

Ok, the first dealer asked to bring the bike on a trailer/van. The 2nd dealer came with a simple easy solution. As I admit to be technically challenged, I'm ready to take all sorts of blames/jokes for my mistake.

There are two (+) and two (-) cables attached to the battery. When I detached the screw, the second (-) cable slipped away under the seat frame and wasn't visible from top. I actually do not recall having seen the second (-) when taking out the battery. So when I put back the battery I saw 2 (+) and 1 (-). My thinking was that concept-wise all necessary (-) were in a single strand. Maybe that's never the case, I don't know.

So long story short : attached the 2nd (-) and all warnings are off
Old 10-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Oh gees. We get stuck with electronic crap that "everyone wants"(oh, how cute). Then nothing but problems....
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
dgardel
Orange contaminated

Oddometer: 58
Happy that you have sorted

Inviato dal mio GT-I9295 utilizzando Tapatalk

KTM 1190 Adventure S Gray
dgardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #12
AdvIvan
Rock on!

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
So long story short : attached the 2nd (-) and all warnings are off
Good to hear you got it sorted!
AdvIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVill View Post
Oh gees. We get stuck with electronic crap that "everyone wants"(oh, how cute). Then nothing but problems....

He said he accidentally left a wire disconnected.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote