ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Yes, the knock with Lithium motorcycle batteries are they generally require a specific charger to help it evenly charge over the entire battery... And they are sensitive to cold temperatures.

The EarthX battery has internals so it's compatible with common motorcycle chargers. And CJDesigns offers several heavy duty Earthx models for the LC8 Adventure with higher cranking amps in colder climates.!!!
I put an EarthX in my Tiger 1050 a few weeks ago. The 1050 is a notoriously slow cranking bike and because the LiFeP04 has higher cranking voltage, it cranks a lot faster. Coldest start is in the 40's but I should be able to do some cold starts in the 30's this week.

Two year full warranty. Shorai, for example, has a "3 year" warranty but it is only full replacement for the first six months.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #32
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
I have used these batteries for other bikes:
http://antigravitybatteries.com/

but have not yet tried them on my KTM 950... Though I was planning on it.
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #33
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,029
You can always try Mr. Battery's thread here. He routinely reposts the same info and seems to have the idea that it is the go-to thread on the Interwebz for LFP battery info, but there are a few good points there. Joel Wiseman's posts are worth reading.

I quickly realized that since all the LFP batteries are small and light, if you just she'll out the $$$ it all probably work. I bought an ETX24 which has an "EqAh" rating of 18Ah, even though the standard Battery on a Tiger is 12 Ah. Because I don't think those real-world equivalencies are reliable yet.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #34
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Short of carrying an entire extra fully charged battery around with you, I don't see a good alternative. Anything with additional power when the main battery is dead is extra weight you're hauling around for nothing.

Interestingly (since I started this thread), I went with the lower cost option at the local motorcycle shop and it lasted less than two years. I've already replaced it. I'm just trying to be better with keeping the battery topped up this time around.

The battery in my Honda has been solid for five years plus however long the previous owner had it. I can't tell if some bikes are "kinder" to their batteries or if it is the battery itself. I went more than 6 years on a battery in a Ducati Monster, but the Ducati ST2 that I replaced it with only managed about two years on each battery.

Oh, and it's Absorbed Glass Matrix, Duh!
Batteries here in Florida don't last 5 years. I pretty much know on the bikes its 3 with a tender on it and you best start looking at your car battery as well.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote