User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
stucknarut OP
Uh oh...

Oddometer: 158
Flooded R75/5 - opinions needed

Buy or run away? Looking at a /5 that was partially underwater in the last big hurricane, water got to the top of the engine case but short of the electrics, didn't quite make it to air intake. The owner (a VW guy) did all the right things the next day, fresh water wash, removed and cleaned the cylinders, heads, airbox and starter, drained and flushed all the fluids a couple times, removed and cleaned the wheels, exhaust, and brakes, and WD-40'd everything. Over the next year he checked and cleaned it a few more times. The bike's a survivor grade, faded and light rust but not exceptionally so. On the plus side the exhaust is stainless and looks fantastic, on the outside at least. For around here, the price is right, would be a very good deal without the flooding.

Thoughts?
stucknarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Beater
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucknarut View Post
Buy or run away? Looking at a /5 that was partially underwater in the last big hurricane, water got to the top of the engine case but short of the electrics, didn't quite make it to air intake. The owner (a VW guy) did all the right things the next day, fresh water wash, removed and cleaned the cylinders, heads, airbox and starter, drained and flushed all the fluids a couple times, removed and cleaned the wheels, exhaust, and brakes, and WD-40'd everything. Over the next year he checked and cleaned it a few more times. The bike's a survivor grade, faded and light rust but not exceptionally so. On the plus side the exhaust is stainless and looks fantastic, on the outside at least. For around here, the price is right, would be a very good deal without the flooding.

Thoughts?
If it starts and runs ... and you can take it around the block ... I'd check all the fluids for milk ...

Sounds like he did the right things though. Saltwater does baaaad things to an engine.

Make him an offer of what you think it's worth. At least you'll sleep at night.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
I'd want to do a compression check on that one. If the guy has done what he says he's done I wouldn't have a problem buying it for the right price. Gotta go with how well you feel about the seller as part of the equation. Then a compression test.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
stucknarut OP
Uh oh...

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I'd want to do a compression check on that one. If the guy has done what he says he's done I wouldn't have a problem buying it for the right price. Gotta go with how well you feel about the seller as part of the equation. Then a compression test.
Ok, you guys are making me feel better. Good idea, will bring along a compression tester. Agree on the seller, and I got a good vibe or I'd have run away. He was up-front about the flooding when nobody but him would've known different, told me everything he did without it being a sales pitch, and listed every other issue he knew about on the bike.
stucknarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
Mechanics are really nice people if given half a chance.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,543
Might want to check the frame (somehow!) for salt water intrusion.... given the level of water (and how the bike was sitting!) the front cover electrics, i.e. points, alternator etc, would be another place to look. And the flywheel/clutch assembly....that is just raw steel which would rust quickly. Might be able to see into the timing hole (as well as how well the clutch works) to see. ...I have been thinking about one of those cheap camera-on-a-stalk tools that you can buy, and this would be an ideal place to have one!

Hopefully seals etc would have done their job from getting water IN to any place trying to keep oil from getting OUT!

the key correct thing that he did was to get after it immediately... and if the price is right, give it a chance!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,504
I would plan on remove transmission, wash all the clutch parts, inside of housing. I think I would put in a new push rod bearing on the clutch lever. I would also remove the starter take it apart and wash and relube all the parts. Good spline lube and you are good to go.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 693
If, as you say, the bike only spent one night under water (up to the top of the engine), personally, I wouldn't get all anal about it. If it were me (and it has been a couple of times) I would change all the oils, give a visual to the electrics and clean or correct any problems there, drain and blow out the carbs, check the air filter and see if it would fire up. Deal with any obvious problems, ride it for about 10 miles then change all the oils again.

As for any internal problems caused by spending the night under water, that's kind of doubtful.

Again, just my opinion.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote