Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
I am in, I have been thinking along the same lines lately....

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,029
I wouldn't worry too much about the navigation, unless there is a serious sandstorm, you will have plenty of tracks to guide you to some extent. Its not as hard as it sounds, honest!

Re Al: I'll Pm you his details.

Cheers

Neil
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,024
Hi Vicks, I am following this either way

I would go for the Nav prepared bike and then get things as I move along. May be alter things etc but it is already there. I would start with it a rally, see what I do not like (in the beginning you do not mind about the little details anyway), and then change what is not good for me.

The clean bike means that you have a clean start, you know every single bit of the bike and you know what or when will fail. With the used one ... well... For me, the 530 is a well behaved bike, meaning that will not die for breakfast and if it is ''few rallies'' it should be good to go. Even if you decide to sell the equipment and upgrade you will get a run for your money ...

Go with what you like the most, after all it is your pocket... But beware, the rally sickness is an evil one...
Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou View Post
I am in, I have been thinking along the same lines lately....
Welcome and wish you the best in reaching your goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the navigation, unless there is a serious sandstorm, you will have plenty of tracks to guide you to some extent. Its not as hard as it sounds, honest!

Re Al: I'll Pm you his details.

Cheers

Neil
Alright, i'll think more seriously about the Desert Challenge in that case, April 2014 is right around the corner. KTM Dubai also has support packages for riders (they don't seem to be running their own teams anymore) for reasonable money and i'll start looking into other options as well (for support during the rally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Hi Vicks, I am following this either way

I would go for the Nav prepared bike and then get things as I move along. May be alter things etc but it is already there. I would start with it a rally, see what I do not like (in the beginning you do not mind about the little details anyway), and then change what is not good for me.

The clean bike means that you have a clean start, you know every single bit of the bike and you know what or when will fail. With the used one ... well... For me, the 530 is a well behaved bike, meaning that will not die for breakfast and if it is ''few rallies'' it should be good to go. Even if you decide to sell the equipment and upgrade you will get a run for your money ...

Go with what you like the most, after all it is your pocket... But beware, the rally sickness is an evil one...
Thanks for the inputs D. As much as i would love to start with a fresh bike and build it up, i think it will end up being almost 2x expensive compared to buying a rally prepped bike. The huge depreciation on cars and bikes in UAE makes it more attractive to buy a used vehicle in pristine condition (i never bought a brand new car in the UAE).

Ship my bike OR rent a Rallybike ?

I've also been thinking of doing the Libya Rally Or the Tuareg Rally in March/April 2014. The main concern is cost of shipping my bike. So i was also considering a rental bike from one of the teams that provide such services and i simply fly in with my riding gear. Not sure how that works out over several events ? Will it be more expensive that shipping my own bike ? Any idea about how much these rental packages cost ?

Vicks screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 08:36 PM
Vicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 658
Vicks,

The KTM is a no-brainer! Your initial hard-on at buying the Berg will turn into a limp noodle when you start paying for all the kit to fit it out. That's money that you can spend on (insert something useful here...travel, training, etc). Besides, that new Berg will look decidedly old real quick once you start thrashing it around in the dunes. I don't recall getting this shipped to Saudi Arabia to be inexpensive, so I'd guess the UAE is similar.

Besides, unless you're vying for a FIM title, the extra power of the 530 should serve you well.....braaap! All of this advise is rubbish of course, if the KTM is a worn out clapper.

- Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
OK, let me throw some pics of the bikes in subject to ease the decision making process....

The '10 KTM530Exc

The '12 Husaberg FE450

decisions... decisions...
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #21
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
The ADDC is the easiest choice Vicks. Probably the cheapest, very high level of security for the riders (medical assistance etc etc).

Its in your back yard, you can train as much as you want, for most oversea's participants the soft sand is the most intimidating and yet you can practice every weekend as much as you want.

ADDC and navigating, not so difficult as you have the roadbook and the GPS and tracks to help you. People rarely get lost at the ADDC. Since there is a lot of Off piste riding the GPS will give waypoints and CAP headings.

Somewhere i wrote a thread about my first ADDC, back in 2006. it's doable and its a blast.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Vicks,

The KTM is a no-brainer! Your initial hard-on at buying the Berg will turn into a limp noodle when you start paying for all the kit to fit it out. That's money that you can spend on (insert something useful here...travel, training, etc). Besides, that new Berg will look decidedly old real quick once you start thrashing it around in the dunes. I don't recall getting this shipped to Saudi Arabia to be inexpensive, so I'd guess the UAE is similar.

Besides, unless you're vying for a FIM title, the extra power of the 530 should serve you well.....braaap! All of this advise is rubbish of course, if the KTM is a worn out clapper.

- Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
The ADDC is the easiest choice Vicks. Probably the cheapest, very high level of security for the riders (medical assistance etc etc).

Its in your back yard, you can train as much as you want, for most oversea's participants the soft sand is the most intimidating and yet you can practice every weekend as much as you want.

ADDC and navigating, not so difficult as you have the roadbook and the GPS and tracks to help you. People rarely get lost at the ADDC. Since there is a lot of Off piste riding the GPS will give waypoints and CAP headings.

Somewhere i wrote a thread about my first ADDC, back in 2006. it's doable and its a blast.
Good advise i think and i'll listen.

Found a Rally prepped 530Exc and considering that option as well. Now i just have to take care of the money aspects and buy up one of the bikes.

Looks like you are all heavily favoring the Desert Challenge and i'll keep that as the target for 2014 although it seems too close to me.. we'll see...

next update after 2 weeks as me n the mrs are off to our maiden EU trip backpacking our way
Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #23
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,029
The thing is if its far away you will never start racing.

Close is good: It means getting fit and taking the plunge. Don't be nervous - you will love it!

BTW I sent you a mail.

Cheers

Neil
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #24
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Hey Vick!
I'm not going to repeat what I posted yesterday in your Goodbye Orange Crush thread, so here I just will say Congrats, do it, enjoy it! Happy for you.

Talking about ADDC... found this: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0252520&type=1
That's the most ridiculously fast conversion I have ever seen...

I'm in...

liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

OK ppl i got the bike !!!

It's an '10 KTM 530Exc. Rally prepped with a Mecasystems kit, oil cooler etc. Being a rally bke, it has its share of minor bruises and i will be taking care of them along with a full strip down and re-build.

Here it is loaded on the trailer when transporting it to AbuDhabi after de-registering it.

The bike still needs to be registered in AbuDhabi and for this i need to get it clear the inspection first. Of course for that i need to have working turn signals, tail lamp etc which i need to take care of. Hopefully in the next few days and then i'll take it out for a spin.. in the desert.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #26
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
That's what we've been waiting for!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #27
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648

Great news Vick...!!!
That bike should take the s***t out fo you in the desert...
Well done!

Ok, take care of all the street legal details and ask the authorities to speed up all the registering process... they must know you just can't stand not to ride it

Keep us posted, man.

liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 AM   #28
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,024
Congrats Vicks !!!

Now off for a rebuilt thread

Old 10-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #29
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Great bike for Rally. Congratulations.
I can concur with everyone so far - the ADDC is a great event to start with. The single bivouac makes logistics so simple and the riding is great, once you get the hang of that dune riding. I loved the event my first time and learnt heaps. (Not so much the second time - don't crash on day 1, it sucks big time!!).
As for it being so close, don't sweat that. The organisation is great and very helpful people will get you sorted without too much drama. Just get your entry in, your license and insurance sorted and everything else will fall into place.
Best of luck.
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #30
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
That's what we've been waiting for!
Hey Tony, see you soon .. The bike has an RNS repeater how cool is that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post

Great news Vick...!!!
That bike should take the s***t out fo you in the desert...
Well done!
Thanks for the encouraging words.. makes a positive difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Congrats Vicks !!!

Now off for a rebuilt thread

No !! not yet... let me do a couple of rides atleast ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Great bike for Rally. Congratulations.
(Not so much the second time - don't crash on day 1, it sucks big time!!).
As for it being so close, don't sweat that. The organisation is great and very helpful people will get you sorted without too much drama. Just get your entry in, your license and insurance sorted and everything else will fall into place.
Best of luck.
Thanks Jon, although i can already feel a butterfly in the stomach. Oh and, yeah, defn. sucks to crash out on Day1. I did a DNF (technical) on Day1 - stage 1 in an earlier Rally and felt miserable for quite some time after that..

Gonna ride out every weekend to get more and more practice with the bike in dunes.