ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #106
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
Haha this thread is funny.

I've always been curious how many people who have owned a gun, and have never been in a career where they carried a gun, have ever used a gun correctly.

I have friends and family that are always talking about pulling their guns for situations that don't dictate a deadly weapon. The funny thing is that I know if they were ever in a situation where they would have to actually use their gun they would shit their pants, pull the gun out that is now covered in shit, forget that the safety was on, try to fire an un-chambered round, shit some more, chamber a round, and then proceed to fire off shots that would most likely miss the "bad guy" by at least 10 feet. Thats if the "bad guy" does't walk away or injure them first.

Even people who carry guns for a living, including police officers, rarely handle situations correctly when guns need to be drawn.

For instance:
My buddy called me the other day to tell me a funny story. He was awaken in the middle of the night by an intruder. He grabbed his gun, round in the chamber and on fire, and ran downstairs to find his dog had knocked something over.
My take on the story: My buddy is retarded and delusional.

Like I said in my original post. I was a heavy gunner in the military. I spent a year on top of a hummer in Iraq with a 249. I got out, and have done another 3 years of overseas police contracting. So please refrain from armchair quarterbacking with your "I would have drawn a gun" comments, if you've spent you life sitting behind a desk.

I ride motorcycles, but would never tell Rossi how he lost because he took a corner wrong, and how I would have taken the corner faster, while backing it in with an elbow on the ground, while bunny-hopping over Lorenzo to win a race. - This would just make me look like a dumbass.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #107
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
To the OP, you broke Jeff Coopers first rule, you were in condition "white"
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/security/coopers-color-code-definition/

But Good on'ya for still being alive, not in jail and not having to defend your actions in court.
delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #108
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I saw that over on the Kawasaki forums. What a great time for an off duty police officer to be stopped in traffic. Man!...Brazil must be a tough neighborhood.
Brazil can be tough, like the NE side of Sao Paulo or the beach streets or favellas of Rio. Neither are as bad as parts of Mexico.
Here is the gun/motorcycle flavor in Sao Paolo:
http://www.laht.com/article.asp?Arti...tegoryId=14090

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 06:29 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #109
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Brazil can be tough, like the NE side of Sao Paulo or the beach streets or favellas of Rio. Neither are as bad as parts of Mexico.
Here is the gun/motorcycle flavor in Sao Paolo:
http://www.laht.com/article.asp?Arti...tegoryId=14090
No kidding. In that other video I was commenting on, you could tell by the way the off duty cop reacted that they probably do very little of that TV crap, "this is the police...put down your gun!"...and for good reason.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #110
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
Now I look at the guy and he's yelling at me about being dangerous. Since I'm not tall and barely balancing the gs between myself, and had no intention to start an altercation, I shoved my phone in my tank bag, put my bike in gear, told him to go f off, and I got out of there. End of Story, right?

NO! I look back and see this guy running towards his car. I'm completely lost but gas it to 60mph and look back to see him catching up to me in his car. I give it more gas and see a T stop sign ahead. I slow down, but don't stop, and watch him in my mirror blow the stop sign as well. Now he's catching up again so I see a right hand turn. At 60mph I brake hard, downshift, and make the turn. He's going so fast that he loses control of the car and slides past the turn. At this point I realize this guy is psychotic and is capable to doing grave harm. This chase continues at speeds of 110mph and for a couple more miles and turns.
Now that this story has died down I wanted to ask the community a "culture question."
Not meaning to pick on Swashbuckler but just sayin I was brought up that smack talking someone then running away was about the pussiest thing a man could do.
And kind of related to that - the importance of respecting our fellow human beings and that still within the boundaries of respect real men can duke it out but calling someone a liar, a faggot, questioning their word/integrity, talking about their mother was crossing a different line altogether and demonstrating a lack of respect/self respect.
I realize some of you don't respect each other or even yourselves and so I'm not surprised by what people call each other. I guess what I am surprised at is the huge deal everyone seems to make about a physical confrontation or even the possibility of a physical confrontation.

So what say you?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #111
capcrazy
what, me worry?

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Now that this story has died down I wanted to ask the community a "culture question."
Not meaning to pick on Swashbuckler but just sayin I was brought up that smack talking someone then running away was about the pussiest thing a man could do.
And kind of related to that - the importance of respecting our fellow human beings and that still within the boundaries of respect real men can duke it out but calling someone a liar, a faggot, questioning their word/integrity, talking about their mother was crossing a different line altogether and demonstrating a lack of respect/self respect.
I realize some of you don't respect each other or even yourselves and so I'm not surprised by what people call each other. I guess what I am surprised at is the huge deal everyone seems to make about a physical confrontation or even the possibility of a physical confrontation.

So what say you?
I grew up in in an area where if you were deliberately rude or disrespectful to someone, you were challenging them to a fight, and you would usually end up getting one. you generally wouldn't even get in trouble with the cops for beating the crap out someone who disrespected you. the general attitude was that they had brought it on themselves.

I now live in a more urban area, and that kind of stuff just isn't tolerated. I am also now a licensed professional, and the licensing board holds me responsible for my public conduct. if I were to go to a serious dive bar and get attacked by some drunken idiot and fought them off in self defense, the cops would probably let me off. however, if the board found out about it, they would most likely take action against me for putting myself in a situation where that kind of thing could happen. basically, I have had to change my behavior to match the circumstances of my life. I may not always like it, but that's just part of being an adult.

in my opinion, the OP pretty much handled his situation about as well as he could, except for telling the guy to fuck off. even that probably didn't make much difference, as I bet road-rage boy would've kept chasing him anyway. the rager was definitely the instigator of the confrontation and it seems he was emotionally unstable or on something. if the OP had fought the guy, he risked injury AND getting caught up in the criminal "justice" system. while running may not have been overly safe for the OP (or other drivers), it seems to have been the best of several bad options, all things considered.
1985 Suzuki RM250 (ridden until frame broke in 2001)
1985 Kawasaki KDX 200 (still works)
2005 KTM MXC 450 (titled as a street bike with plates)
2009 KLR 650
capcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #112
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,996
We just got back from a week in Boston and New York. I have to say that there are a lot more thin-skinned asshole drivers in Colorado.

NY & Boston drivers cooperate with others. Be assertive and show your intent and other drivers cooperate. Using the horn is a method of communication, not a personal assault. I would suggest that convicted road ragers in CO be sentenced to a year of driving a cab in downtown New York City.

HellSickle screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 08:48 AM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #113
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Is the "249" such a heavy gun that in requires mounting on the roof of a Humvee to lug it around?
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #114
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
We just got back from a week in Boston and New York. I have to say that there are a lot more thin-skinned asshole drivers in Colorado.

NY & Boston drivers cooperate with others. Be assertive and show your intent and other drivers cooperate. Using the horn is a method of communication, not a personal assault. I would suggest that convicted road ragers in CO be sentenced to a year of driving a cab in downtown New York City.
OK...while I'm serving my probation driving that cab in NYC, do I get to use one of those cool, beaded, massage-while-you-drive seat cushions?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #115
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Yeah there are some real shitheads in Colorado. Not sure why, the everage driver is polite enough. Just a few real shitheads.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #116
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
OK...while I'm serving my probation driving that cab in NYC, do I get to use one of those cool, beaded, massage-while-you-drive seat cushions?
You bet. Keep in mind that you will also need to learn 8 different languages.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #117
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
You bet. Keep in mind that you will also need to learn 8 different languages.
WTF? I've never been in a cab with any driver who spoke more than his native language. And even that is often in question... now, being spoken to and pretending to understand... that I'll buy.
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #118
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,271
Quote:

In Lome, Togo they honk the horn at intersections which mean "coming through I honked first I have the right away"...LOL Yep in many countries and even in ours honking is not a personnel attack. All your saying is buddy the light turned green 1 minute ago why are you sitting there looking down. I honk F people if they take it the wrong way.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #119
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

So what say you?
It's telling that the OP posted that he told the rager to f-off then he says "end of story, right?" He honestly thought that telling a pissed off rager to f-off was going to somehow be the end of the confrontation...how he came to that conclusion I'll never understand
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #120
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Yeah there are some real shitheads in Colorado. Not sure why, the everage driver is polite enough. Just a few real shitheads.
No shit there...

I lived in Colorado for 7 years. Some of the drivers there are the rudest fucks anywhere. And, there are a lot of those type. Ride your ass, cut you off, pass you then brake check you etc.

Flash ahead 13 years, I flew into DIA, rented a car and went all of fifteen minutes before I witnessed the same crap as when I lived there.
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
BillUA is offline   Reply With Quote