Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #5446
Eickey OP
Underwater Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fener6 View Post
Anybody mount dirt bike tires down here? Recommendations?
I got spoons, bring a 12 pack....
Old 10-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #5447
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Thinking about heading out for a ride on Sunday.........probably stay simple and run the Holeylands Route with some ventures up and down a few of the other canal roads. Might even be talked into making the long run all the way west and checking out the condition of Janes Scenic Drive, The Squares and Loop Road. For me from Homestead, with riding, picture stops and lunch, it will be a full day. Would like to meet at Holiday Park by 0900 and kickstands up no later than 0930. I most likely will be on my GSA, but if everyone else is on smaller bikes I could be talked into the DR. Just the DR still has original tank, so only about a 100 mile range.

Anyboday game?
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #5448
Lostj
s00per n00b

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Thinking about heading out for a ride on Sunday.........probably stay simple and run the Holeylands Route with some ventures up and down a few of the other canal roads. Might even be talked into making the long run all the way west and checking out the condition of Janes Scenic Drive, The Squares and Loop Road. For me from Homestead, with riding, picture stops and lunch, it will be a full day. Would like to meet at Holiday Park by 0900 and kickstands up no later than 0930. I most likely will be on my GSA, but if everyone else is on smaller bikes I could be talked into the DR. Just the DR still has original tank, so only about a 100 mile range.

Anyboday game?
Ever check out janes?? What's the condition?

I'm itchin to go riding
Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #5449
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostj View Post
Ever check out janes?? What's the condition?

I'm itchin to go riding
I'm heading out tomorrow from Pompano Beach (Sunday).

PM me or somethng if you want to meet up. I don't plan on going to the other side (to Jane's) with what all there is to explore closer.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #5450
Nale19
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Anybody up for a ride tomorrow (Sunday, October 27)?

Would be game for a trip to the Holylands but up for suggestions as well. Ping me back by tonight so we can arrange the details.

Cheers, Elan

Mama Mama many worlds I've come since I first left home...
Nale19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #5451
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Anyone know of a CJ 7 for sale in south FL other than the typical places?

Different subject - I need help looking for an available Jeep CJ7, 6 cylinder, manual transmission.

I don't want a super-mudder, nor a rock crawler... just one to treat as a daily driver. I've seen ads for some in the $4000 to $6500 range that seemed do-able, but thus far no-one has answered my craigslist replies except for a few Jeeps I am not sure I want.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 10-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #5452
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Different subject - I need help looking for an available Jeep CJ7, 6 cylinder, manual transmission.

I don't want a super-mudder, nor a rock crawler... just one to treat as a daily driver. I've seen ads for some in the $4000 to $6500 range that seemed do-able, but thus far no-one has answered my craigslist replies except for a few Jeeps I am not sure I want.
Good Luck........I have pretty much given up trying. Especially for an affordable non-project CJ.

Be careful on scams also. I found two on CL that were internet scams. Prices too good too be true and they wanted your money and they would deliver. Local ad but the vehicle located out of state. They even go as far as having fake eBay account and CarFax stuff.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #5453
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Good Luck........I have pretty much given up trying. Especially for an affordable non-project CJ.

Be careful on scams also. I found two on CL that were internet scams. Prices too good too be true and they wanted your money and they would deliver. Local ad but the vehicle located out of state. They even go as far as having fake eBay account and CarFax stuff.
I may very well just go out of state with cash (to a different state) and buy one.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #5454
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Monroe Station, Loop Rd, and Flamingo

Anybody on here been on the Loop Road entering at Monore Station of Late? Last time I drove down that way was in February 2006 in the Jeep Wrangler...and was thinking on heading to Naples to stay with youngest sister and brother-in-law in Naples in late February/Early March...dragging the KAW klx250s down, and riding the Loop, then down to Flamingo via 9336, and finally to US 1 down the Keys, before winding my way back....hopefully taking 3 or 4 days in the process and checking out the freak show that Key West has become.

Guess the question is....have they paved the entiire damn Loop Road or is it still worth riding and doing some photo taking?

Thanks in advance
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #5455
Rambo1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
its an easy gravel road, definatly better than staying on tamiami trail
Rambo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #5456
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo1 View Post
its an easy gravel road, definatly better than staying on tamiami trail
Drove the Wrangler the entire lenght in 2006....that February had some water, and it was a great ride, especially with the so-called "endangered" Gators out in full force, sunning themselves. I have a great photo on my wall of a 16 footer on the west edge of the pond just across the Loop entrance from Monroe Station. Some Euro Tourist Chick was checking the smaller gators, when I pulled back a tree branch and I showed her that monster...she about crapped herself in excitment.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #5457
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
Drove the Wrangler the entire lenght in 2006....that February had some water, and it was a great ride, especially with the so-called "endangered" Gators out in full force, sunning themselves. I have a great photo on my wall of a 16 footer on the west edge of the pond just across the Loop entrance from Monroe Station. Some Euro Tourist Chick was checking the smaller gators, when I pulled back a tree branch and I showed her that monster...she about crapped herself in excitment.
Alligators aren't endangered in Florida, they are "managed." Florida actively encourages gator farming for meat and hides.

The last time that I rode from Clewiston down to South Florida I saw about 5 gators that had been hit by cars. And the last time that I rode the Tamiami Trail I swore that I'd never do it again without carry a pistol because of the danger of breaking down on the road and having the gators come out of the ditches. That observation center near Everglades City has a fence around it to keep the gators away from the tourists, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #5458
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Alligators aren't endangered in Florida, they are "managed." Florida actively encourages gator farming for meat and hides.

The last time that I rode from Clewiston down to South Florida I saw about 5 gators that had been hit by cars. And the last time that I rode the Tamiami Trail I swore that I'd never do it again without carry a pistol because of the danger of breaking down on the road and having the gators come out of the ditches. That observation center near Everglades City has a fence around it to keep the gators away from the tourists, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Agreed...that's why I put the "Endangered" in quotes...they are a damn menace....I grew up in the Venice/South Venice area, way back in the 1953 to 63 years....those damn gators were thick then, but unlike a lot of animals the human developement have destoryed, those suckers were here before us and will be long after we are gone.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #5459
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

over the last couple of years they have redone Loop Road. Still gravel but fairly smooth now. I havent ridden it since the spring, so summer rains could have messed it up a bit. They put in all new culverts and trimmed back the trees. It is still a scenic drive with lots of 'locals' to see hanging out!!! Just some of the tunnel effect is gone since they trimmed it back. Still worth the ride.

If you run in on a weekend and its after noon time, be looking on your left a mile or so after the blacktop starts (traveling west to east) watch for the tall wood fence with a scooter coming out of it. If the gates open go in for a visit with Lucky Cole and his wife. Interesting place, cold beer available for a 'donation' and usually some vension chili simmering in the crock pot!!!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #5460
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Quote:
over the last couple of years they have redone Loop Road. Still gravel but fairly smooth now. I havent ridden it since the spring, so summer rains could have messed it up a bit. They put in all new culverts and trimmed back the trees. It is still a scenic drive with lots of 'locals' to see hanging out!!! Just some of the tunnel effect is gone since they trimmed it back. Still worth the ride.

If you run in on a weekend and its after noon time, be looking on your left a mile or so after the blacktop starts (traveling west to east) watch for the tall wood fence with a scooter coming out of it. If the gates open go in for a visit with Lucky Cole and his wife. Interesting place, cold beer available for a 'donation' and usually some vension chili simmering in the crock pot!!!
That sounds like a plan....almost "Bucket List" worthy I will plan on it, when I get down that way{hopefully in late February after my High School Basketball officiating ends and before the College/HS Baseball Season starts up}.