Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #61
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

Oddometer: 217
sweeeeeeeeet. very nice start for waves on the mainland. Trade you hemispheres in a year.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #62
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnaro View Post
sweeeeeeeeet. very nice start for waves on the mainland. Trade you hemispheres in a year.
Hahaha! You have a deal!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #63
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ranting....

The humidity has been stifling, bringing on one sleepless night followed by the next. I have struggled to fall asleep until the early morning since arriving on the mainland of Mexico.
Today was much of the same, a long time in the saddle with a surf to break up the constant humming of the engine and wash the salt from my body with some salt of the ocean.
Morning started with the ritual of reloading the bike, checking the oil, chain tension and pushing that magic button with crossed fingers. Of cause Mr Olympia fired right up and we where passing though Acapulco before I had even fully woken up. While making our way though this wretched place, a couple of quintessential crooked cops followed me for a couple of km's only to pull me over where they thought it quiet enough. I guess their logic being if I decided to kick up a fuss and cause a scene there would be no one around to witness the ensuing red faced yelling. Of cause I knew what game these two swines where playing as soon as I saw their bacon buggy following me. So with the flashing blue, I pulled over, and to my surprise so did a taxi, now the officers of the law started looking a little irritated. One shuffles hurriedly over to the taxi, the other one shakes my hand and tells me I ran a red light. Which is true if he is talking about since first starting this ride up in Canada. I have zipped though a few when no one is around. But today, Señor piggy? No way! As I am telling him this the taxi speeds off just as another car pulls up on the opposite side of the road and starts taking pictures, with flash firing. The cops start freaking out at this guy and he yells something at them which causing him to speed off. Now the two cops are yelling at each other and run back to their car to take off in hot pursuit of the happy snapper. I am sitting there thinking what the fuck just happened, but don't really care to find out, so I fire up Olympia only to run the first red I see. I figure if I am going to get a fine anyway, it might as well be for breaking the strong arm of the law, not for sitting still in this Godforsaken humidity.

A couple of hours on and I pull into a motorcycle mechanics to get a spoke replaced. Well I could not have picked a worst shop to stop at. Four hours later, after having taken the wheel out of the bike, tire off, chainring off, and watching them put a spoke way to long in, to the point where there is a bunch of puncture producing evil sticking though the rim. I decided to politely pull the pin on this sordid affair. Cut out the tube harpoon and slap everything back together and boogie the hell out of there.
Every other motorcycle Mechanic I have stopped at in Mexico has been amazing! So finding one not so skilled was bound to happen eventually.

However the day was getting on so I zipped into a beach, to surf some onshore slop, wash the grime and grease off and relax for a while. Although it is hard to do when your constantly sweating and mosquitos are buzzing around you like little fighter planes.

So it was back on Mr Olympia south bound. Twisting and turning though some beautiful country side. Looking at the clouds ahead, clouds which are teasing to rain, then what is this? A rain drop on my visor, another one, then boom! the skys open up! I am so happy to be cooled down I start laughing hysterically. The rain feels like little needles hitting my skin, the visor fogs slightly, I am soaked, I am filled with joy!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #64
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Another day in the life of Matt, keep um coming I really enjoy reading your post.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #65
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
Another day in the life of Matt, keep um coming I really enjoy reading your post.
Thanks Craig. Hope your getting some riding in also.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #66
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tearing along Mex highway 200 I was in a panic to beat those beastly onshore winds and find some good swell. With no guide book, no map and no idea, I decided to revert back to my Baja way of wave searching. That being, take any dirt road I see heading towards the ocean, and once hitting water follow it south as far as I can or until I find a peeler.
Just as these thoughts had been decided upon a road west bound showed itself. Down it I went with a almost frantic anticipation. Throttle twisted wide open, standing on the foot pegs, focused on the trail ahead, trying to remember I am not on a bicycle going 10km/h but on machine, which likes to buck me, hurtling along at 90km/h. Reminding myself, this is just like being inside a barrel, look down the line, not right in front of you. Sandy section up ahead, weight back, give Olympia some more throttle, the sand is soft, a little slide of the front wheel, just hold that gas open, and hope for the best, that wind switch is not far off.

Following along side a river I pull into a small village, the village is not like any other I have come across. It does not even seem like I am in Mexico anymore. The people are darker with tight curls in their hair, looking to be of African decent. I latter found out that a Spanish slave ship came ashore in a wreak, where the slaves fled to freedom. Although from what I have since read from historian Eduardo Anorve it seems as though this theory could be a myth. However it makes for a griping story, so we will go with it.

I Parked the bike next to someones home, grabbed my board and heading towards the river. Wading though the mangroves until reaching the beach. Once on the beach, it was as though I had fallen back into another time, a time long since removed from my reality. Thatched huts huddled in a corner, a lone fisherman nude throwing a net, the only thing to snap me out of the fantasy was all the plastic litter on the beach. Looking out to sea I was greeted with perfect A-frames, which offered a little cover up on the take off, followed by a fun wall down the line. The water was so brown due to the heavy rains and ran off from the river. When sitting on my board I could not even see it below me. About an hour into the session, the back wash started up. It seems in Mexico you can count on two things, back wash and topes.(speed bumps) So I headed back to my bike, with a smile and a feeling of contentment, to continue on the dirt road south. The road only ran about 10km before hitting another town and river. So once again I headed towards the beach, plowing though some soft sand, Mr Olympia screaming with exertion. When we came upon the ocean, I was once again greeted with a pleasant surprise. Glassy waves and a lonely stretch of coast, that is apart from one girl sitting under a lean-to made from her board and a piece of drift wood. What the fuck is going on here I thought to myself. As I looked closer I noticed the board was a single fin. Hold on! I know that board and I know the person under it. I scan the ocean again just in time to see Dan paddling into one. What are the chance. Two friends from Australia are here. They took two boats and a ride in a truck, and a paddle across a river to end up here. I ended up here purely by chance. Life is to strange.

So after having another surf, this time sharing tales with two friends, laughing at the randomness of life we parted ways. I headed to a beach which I was at five years ago, thinking it could be a good place to hang the hammock for the night. Upon arriving to the town it seemed a little more populated then memory. So I decided on looking for a quieter place for the night. For paranoia is pretty high with me now, after being robbed so many times and having a completely irrational fear of the dark. As it would turn out I made the right decision. For I returned to the spot the following day, to find a burnt out car some 50 meters from where I had planed on sleeping. The car belonging to a taxi driver who was held up by three men with machetes in a town some 60km-s away. I was informed he was forced to drive there and when his car got stuck in the sand he was beaten, had his money stolen and his car set on fire. Would not have been the most pleasant scene to wake up to.

burnt car

The spot I did end up sleeping for the night, was beautiful empty solitude. Complemented with a fun wave just a short paddle, or maybe drift would be a better description, for this river was flowing at a fare speed. The only bummer being I had no water and was pretty darn parched. Just as I was tossing up if it would be worth the climb up one of the many coconut trees, for I only have a small pocket knife to open them, to reach the delightful water, and it is a huge mission to do so. Luck once again graced me and the clouds collapsed due to their weight and the fly from my hammock acted as the perfect catchment for fresh water. Life at the moment is just great!

hennessy
Old 10-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #67
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Have you seen the weights and bottle adapters for rain catchment using
the Hennessy rain fly? Check their website.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #68
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Hey Matt, Not doing any riding as I took a fall this summer and did a number on my shoulder. have to get a new one, I'll be bionic when done but it's going to take over a year to get back to normal. Sold my XT as I knew I couldn't stay off it if it was sitting in the garage ready to go. Doc said I could ride for awhile but don't fall, he dosen't know me to good. I'll get another after I heal up. Got to remember I'm not 25 anymore, but I got CRS.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #69
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
hammock fan

I use the same hammock you have. Found a battery powered fan that hangs form the internal overhead line that keeps the netting off your face. Makes 85*+ nights with 95% humidity very doable. It will kill a lithium AA battery in a night if it was left on all night. But even when really warm out I find that I tend to turn it off sometime during the night. Once you stop moving and get comfortable your body temperature drops and it's much easier to keep cool. It's that you are hot when you climb in the hammock then because your hot and uncomfortable you keep moving around and that just keeps the body temp up. As you know moving in a hammock isn't like rolling over on a bed. Its a full body workout to reposition.

So keep an eye out for those little fans in stores. Touristy places near the beach should have something that will work. I like these little guys

But mainly just look for one that when hanging it can be angled to blow on you. These also are very handy in getting wet wood to catch fire. Screw blowing on a fire.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #70
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbacque View Post
I use the same hammock you have. Found a battery powered fan that hangs form the internal overhead line that keeps the netting off your face. Makes 85*+ nights with 95% humidity very doable. It will kill a lithium AA battery in a night if it was left on all night. But even when really warm out I find that I tend to turn it off sometime during the night. Once you stop moving and get comfortable your body temperature drops and it's much easier to keep cool. It's that you are hot when you climb in the hammock then because your hot and uncomfortable you keep moving around and that just keeps the body temp up. As you know moving in a hammock isn't like rolling over on a bed. Its a full body workout to reposition.

So keep an eye out for those little fans in stores. Touristy places near the beach should have something that will work. I like these little guys

But mainly just look for one that when hanging it can be angled to blow on you. These also are very handy in getting wet wood to catch fire. Screw blowing on a fire.
That is a great idea! I will be keeping my eye out for one. Thanks for writing.
Matt.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #71
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry for my lack of effort on the ride report front. Have been pretty lazy.
Will do a post in the next few days.

PB100332

PB110366
Old 11-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #72
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lets see lets see.
Since my last typing fiesta on here a lot has happened and many countries have passed with out a mention. So perhaps a little recap is in order.

Guatemala: Did spanish school for a week. I can now say hello and thank you. So I guess that makes me pretty much fluent.
Was trying to head inland on the day I left but some how ended up on the coast and taking a crazy ferry ride.

ferry

Also had a crash which resulted in a big hole in my frame. Was not a problem here though. $3.00 to fix and about a 5 minute wait.

frame repair

El salvador: It is a bit of a blur. Surfed some waves. Meet a bunch of nice people. Shared some laughs.
At the boarder was faced with some corruption and had a fine of $1150 waved at me, for something completely made up. When I told them in no uncertain terms that I did not care that much about this trip and Canada was only some 3500kms away I was allowed to have my paper work back.

El Salvador

The El Salvadorian and honduras boarder. The place where I was stuck for many an hour, is also where I meet a fellow on another XT225. True bromance.

Dave at boarder

Honduras. Rode right on though. The small part we did see looked beautiful.

Honduras

Nicaragua: Dave said he felt he had been rushing to much and not had enough adventure. So we decided to take a dirt route. The road narrowed and the path got worse, when I asked some locals if it was passible? The reply was no! So I got a second and third opinion, the answer was still NO! Well I guess my Spanish is not that great for I could have sworn they all said, the road is in perfect condition.

river

Stuck between a rock and a hard place

dave down hill battle
A few crashes where had, one of which could have been fatal. But with luck it was not. My board was snapped in one of them also. All in all it was a pretty wild day.

Now we are in Costa Rica. Where life is on the expansive side. My board has gone in for repair and we are in a hostel for the night. With any luck the board will be fixed tomorrow and the road will once again be ours.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #73
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have been pretty hopeless with my updates, but J.Downs has been trying to motivate me. So here are some random pics from the last couple of months.

Greg fitting with the sand in Northern Colombia on his GS800

A flat and fast road. Well as fast as a xt225 can move.

A strange bit of road kill. Strange as water was at least 200 kms away in any direction.

Lost again. But they say you must be lost to be found. If this is true then I have found myself many times on this journey.

One from the mud volcano. With advford and Greg.

My next ride. Modified honda C70, complete with cold coconuts.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #74
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Nice!

Keep up the good work amigo. Keep it simple and post often, even if you only have time for a brief update or some pics of the week. There are lots of people who have met you in your travels that are stuck at home in the snow and surely enjoy seeing what you've been up to this winter. You'd be surprised how many fans you have out there who don't take the time chime in.

Where's Waldo? I mean surfer Matt. He is currently in Medellin Colombia:

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 09:45 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #75
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Nice!

Keep up the good work amigo. Keep it simple and post often, even if you only have time for a brief update or some pics of the week. There are lots of people who have met you in your travels that are stuck at home in the snow and surely enjoy seeing what you've been up to this winter. You'd be surprised how many fans you have out there who don't take the time chime in.

Where's Waldo? I mean surfer Matt. He is currently in Medellin Colombia:

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juan
NICE.bbbg
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote