ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #76
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Here's one for those in the know.

'03 XR650R, original Cal bike now in WA.
Is not plated but has lights, needs blinkers.

What's the prognosis on bringing it back into CA and making it a plated dualsport?
...and to bring a bike back is to bring a bike back. Either way requires the same inspection (for road) if it never had a plate in Ca. (Ca. on road emissions sticker required) Everything else is easy.

"I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you!."
BootDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #77
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,476
so what was the outcome?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #78
kumatae
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
my adventure at the DMV...

Hate to bring an old thread back to the top, but since I just did this, I hope this helps someone out there.

I purchased a 2004 DR650 with 4000 miles from AZ. The PO did not provide me with a temp 3 day restricted AZ plate so the bike came with no plates since DMV will pro rate his registration when he returns the plates. Plus, I wasn't sure when I would be able to get to register the bike so it would have sort of useless. Note that DMV is only less than 5 miles from my house. The law says that you have to register the vehicle within 10 days but this is moot issue as you can always put fake numbers on bill of sale and REG 343. I wasn't sure if I needed the bill of sale form (available for download on DMV) but filled one out regardless and had PO sign it. I know I'm not supposed to do this but on the bill of sale and on REG 343, I put a price that is lower thatn what I paid to reduce my fees and DMV folks didn't care. I should have put a ridiculously low number, I paid $2600 and put $1900. Should have put like $1250 or something.

So you might ask, how did I get the bike to DMV? I'm supposed to truck it as I don't have plates, but I just googled for images of temp plates for AZ, and created one for myself, it actually looks pretty good. I taped it to my bike since I'm only riding 5 miles. Got to DMV and ripped the temp plate and tossed it. If they questioned me how I got the bike to DMV, I could just say that my friend trucked it here and took off. Luckily, the wait was very short on Friday afternoon. Had to get the bike verified by DMV individual and so he checked engine number, VIN number and odometer.

Oh back to my odometer having less than 7500 miles which is a big deal in CA. The bike came with a Trail Tech Voyager and so I "set" the odometer to 7501 and it read 7507 when I got to the DMV. My backup plan was to "borrow" a fellow DR650's odometer with 7500 miles and installing it on my bike. The guy who was verifying didn't care or wasn't suspicious of it. He was kind of new so I had to explain to him that this is a street legal dual sport bike. I had the title, verification form, REG 343 and bill of sale and the lady did her thing on the computer and I paid $250 and I was out in less than an hour which I consider myself to be very lucky. I didn't have any bolts or zip ties with me so I couldn't put the plates on the bike at the parking lot so I just drove home. If I get pulled over, I could pull out my new plates and stickers and hoped for the best. Made it home just fine and put my plates on. So that's my story. Hope it helps someone out.

kumatae screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 10:25 AM
kumatae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #79
mixxedupmedia
Believes in mahogany

Oddometer: 147
Did the DMV look for a CARB sticker? I'm about to move to CA from CT and need to register a 2002 Guzzi street bike but I can't find any emissions sticker anywhere on the bike.

--MixxedUpMedia
mixxedupmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #80
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxedupmedia View Post
Did the DMV look for a CARB sticker? I'm about to move to CA from CT and need to register a 2002 Guzzi street bike but I can't find any emissions sticker anywhere on the bike.
You won't have a problem with a bike that old.
Just bring it in and they'll check the VIN#'s and the ODO.
If it was a dualsported dirt bike,and you wanted a plate, there would be alot more trouble for ya.
Note that AAA is the best place to go for DMV. If you don't have AAA, get it.
Well worth the DMV hassle. The stste offices are a PITA!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #81
kumatae
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
No he did not. Again, the guy who came to inspect wasn't a seasoned pro He was going down the line on the verification form that he has to fill out and so he was going one by one. He wanted to see "SUZUKI" and the model number "DR650SE" on the bike written somewhere on the bike along with engine number and few other things that needed to complete the form. But the carb sticker he did not ask to see but I'm not sure if he saw it while he was looking for one of many information he was looking for.
kumatae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #82
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxedupmedia View Post
If you have more than 7,500 miles you are fine.
The Red Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote